It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Deal done' to save Vauxhall jobs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

'Deal done' to save Vauxhall jobs

news.bbc.co.uk

The Unite union says it has reached a deal with Magna, the proposed new owners of Vauxhall, to protect jobs at Ellesmere Port and Luton.

Magna is in the process of buying both Opel and Vauxhall, having been chosen by GM
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
To those outside of the USA , GM owns the large european brands of Vauxhall (in the UK) and Opral (in europs)

and whilst essentially the same cars , the badge on teh front is ofc different.

now this is good news , and does show how a union can work to ensure when a bankrupt company has a smooth(ish) transition - the feared 1/4 job losses have been reduced to 600 - and only through natural wastage and voluntary redundancy.

not really how US unions operate now is it.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

I think at the beginning of the 20 century and even up to the late 70's, Unions had their purpose. Now I think they should be taking out to the pasture and shot. We have a union here at work and its a big joke. They once did not do anything but take your money, they don’t protect anything but their pockets.

Some of us successfully have thrown off the shackles of the union here and no longer pay our dues, even with a small rebellion taking shape the union still hasn’t changed maybe after all of their members leave they will get it. A union in my opinion is nothing more than a "workers" corporation that doesn’t help a worker.

new topics

join