It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reasons Not To Bomb The Moon, Nasa Really Has Gone Insane

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by barrelmaker
Seriously?? How many of these threads are their going to be? I will say this as politley as I can.

THERE IS NO BOMB!

It is not rigged to explode. There are NO explosives on board.

I realized that immediately upon reading the OP's thread...

Because historically, I'm aware that there has never been any instance of using an explosive to 'ring' the moon or something.

The sheer kinetic energy of a two-ton payload at twice speed of bullet (mach 4 to mach 6, hmm a bit too slow IMO) would easily overwhelm the explosive energy of chemical explosives....

Besides, in space, there's no air for explosives to generate a powerful blast/shockwave so it will be less effective.

jra

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shrukin89
I was only told by my brother. So if NASA's Clementine Spacecraft found good evidence of water-ice on the Moon 15 years ago. Why the hell are they doing another test?

Because finding evidence of water is not the same as finding proof. It's standard scientific practice to do more than one test. NASA has collected evidence of Lunar ice with a variety of spacecrafts and instruments. Wouldn't you agree that it's better to be thorough and make sure of your findings?

The spacecraft that they are crashing is 75 million dollars. Why the hell would someone be so wasteful to crash a 75 million dollar spacecraft into our moon?

$79 million is cheap. The LRO that launched with LCROSS will have had an operational life cost of $500 million by its end. It too will crash into the Moon eventually, like all Lunar probes. All the past Lunar probes that were sent by the US and former USSR in the 60's, impacted into the Moon. China's and Japan's recent Lunar probes both impacted into the Moon already and India's will eventually as well.

It's not like the probe is filled with money, never to be seen again. That $79 million is spent here on Earth, paying peoples wages, paying for parts and equipment from other companies.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Geez...
I'm sure someone's beat me to it by now, but I don't feel like rifling through the same old trash over and over.

There is no bomb or explosive rigged to the projectile.

Please check your facts before embarrassing yourselves repeatedly. It really doesn't take that much effort.

Sorry to sound so sarcastic, but I'm sick of seeing dis-info threads.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II

Originally posted by Chovy
Whoever thinks there is no bomb in the LCROSS really needs to wake up and smell the coffee. The LCROSS is a two ton bomb and it's going to do lots of damage.

I'm definitely archiving this thread, then going to bring it back up after the impact. How a 2,000 kg inert projectile is going to cause 'lots of damage' to a 73,600,000,000,000,000,000,000 kg rock is beyond me.

Well,

The LCROSS Centaur and Spacecraft impacted the moon at approximately 4:30 a.m. PDT. Scientists are reviewing the initial data and will report what they know at a Post Impact News Conference at 7:00 a.m. PDT / 10:00 a.m. EDT on NASA TV.

Source.

No reports of 'lots of damage', huh? Anyone surprised? Not I.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
hey what a surprise...no damage...still on orbit...no explosives...no surprises

-Kyo

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Chovy

/slowclap. You sir are a moron.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   
OMG Chovy you were right!! this 2000 lbs. NUKE destroyed the moon!
Well well well what do you have to say for your self now?

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Shrukin89

So, two options:

A) They are insane and wastes all that money for fun.
B) The mission was never about finding water.

Since there is no evidence of them hitting the moon with anything, I will go for option B.

[edit on 10-10-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
WOW, is the moon gone now or what?
z'econ lane

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus
reply to post by Shrukin89

So, two options:

A) They are insane and wastes all that money for fun.
B) The mission was never about finding water.

Since there is no evidence of them hitting the moon with anything, I will go for option B.

[edit on 10-10-2009 by Copernicus]

However they did find a heat signature from the impact that apparently happened but a lot of sources say that no one saw it or anything. Probably was never mean't to find ice on the moon but rather destroy something that was on the moon. That or it was a dud.

Media likes to shift peoples attention away from the truth as always.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join