It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UNICODE on ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Thought I would add this as a new thread....

UNICODE

Languages like Greek characters and character symbols like mathematical formulas, astronomical symbols and the like are very hard to convey in just words within a post.

There is a way to add them, but it is tedious.

So a quick lesson and source guide to those illusive Unicode symbols and how to add them

UTF-8 Character Set.

Wikipedia and other foreign pages use UTF-8 character set so when you so when you copy and paste say Russian: Российская Федерация​ ATS accepts that in the post and displays it correctly as with Chinese 中国 and Japanese 日本国

Windows default setting is charset=iso-8859-1 so if you do not see the correct characters it may be you are not set up to view foreign characters or the full UTF-8 coding or Unicode coding...

Unicode Characters

Now ATS is compatible with all unicode characters, ( I have found some that appear differently here though so you will need to preview) but it can be a real pain writing in them unless you have an awesome memory or don't mind tedious code typing...

For examaple

Chemical Names...

Carbon Dioxide CO2 If I copy and paste this from any web I get CO2

If I use unicode I get CO₂

The character ID can be found here for subscript 2. For use in posting in forums that have Unicode activated you want the 'html' listing under 'encoding' (sometimes listed as 'digital')

www.fileformat.info...

This works on mathematics...

Square root of infinity?

√ ∞

Common Math codes
tlt.its.psu.edu...

Greek Symbols;

New Sorority anyone?
Δ Θ Π Σ

tlt.its.psu.edu...

Fractions;

¼ ½ ¾

tlt.its.psu.edu...

Odd stuff;

⋔ ⊛ ♲

The Planets;

Mercury ☿

Venus ♀

Chess Anyone?

♞ ♜ ♘

Unicode characters are usually small fonts.. but we can fix that by adding size..

Bigger [size=4][/size]
♞ ♜ ♘

Huge[size=6][/size]
♞ ♜ ♘

Complete database here
tlt.its.psu.edu...

Miscellaneos Symbols
en.wikipedia.org...

Now YOU TOO can pretend you are smarter than the average poster

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Sweet thread Viceroy!

Always handy information for when we want to spice up a post and make it all pretty lookin!

IRM

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
…Or you can just use a word processor to write your posts then cut & paste them right into ATS:
©®§¼½¾
جخشطغق
۝۞Ω™₤€╚╝♠♣♀♂

Use "Insert" then "Symbol"...

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Thought I would add this as a new thread....

UNICODE

Languages like Greek characters and character symbols like mathematical formulas, astronomical symbols and the like are very hard to convey in just words within a post.

Obviously they are a nation of maritime since the conception of sea bearing vessels, therefore i present my presence with...

go navy.

new topics

top topics

join