It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disposable diapers and gardening

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Unused disposable diapers may be useful when planting in a dry area. The absorbent material found in diapers is a super-absorbent polymer, called 'super slurper'. The SAP can absorb water many times its volume. You cut the diaper and place the SAP in the row/hill. You then plant and water. The SAP will hold the moisture. The plant can access the moisture, but it does not 'drown' the plant/seeding. The SAP can release water, but absorb more as it is available.

Many nurseries that ship bare root plants use SAP to keep the roots moist. The super slurper is the jelly/goo that you find on the roots.

Good luck with it.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I think this is an interesting idea. But if your an organic gardener I wouldn't recommend this. I can only imagine the chemicals involved.

But they do absorb a lot of water, put my kid in a pool with a reg diaper once...its pretty funny.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
You can use Zeolite to do the same thing. It is a naturally occuring volcanic rock that absorbs moisture and releases slowly. I add some to all of my raised bets when I build them it helps on the really dry days. Also zeolite absorbs certain fertalizers and slow releases those too. It's the additive in kitty litter that absorbs and is used in "Organic" fertillizer for the same reason. It's cheap.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

Good one, thanks for the addition. I posted the diaper thing, and by the way, Adult diapers have the super slurper in it as well, so that folks have a good, alternate use for a mundane item.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
In a pinch, there are a couple more natural ideas to get the same effect:

Moss: Dig just a couple inched into the soil and fill in with moss from trees. Not only to they do a fantastic job of absorbing and holding in moisture, it also draws in nutrients, which in turn are drainied into the soil.

Pine needles: Create a blanket over the area you planted. Holds in heat and moisture VERY well.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I use Calcined Clay. It pretty much does the same thing. Its crushed up clay pots then refired at like 1800 degrees. Holds moisture for a long time.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

Awesome point about the volcanic rocks. I was just about to post the same thing. BTW, what exactly is your avatar of? I can't figure it out.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
It's also found in feminine napkins, if you don't have diapers handy. Though they will split when saturated. Personally, I won't let that stuff near my son's butt, I'm not about to feed it to him either. Their are to many chemicals in disposable diapers for me to risk it leaching into our fruits and veggies. The volcanic rock and Calcined Clay are much better options IMO. Good post though, gets people thinking outside the box.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
If you are planting trees it might be better to use Used diapers.

Isn't Kitty LItter Montmorillonite Clay with added Borax or Baking Soda?

I bought some Montmorillonite at the Auto Parts store. $7. for a 40 pound bag. It is dark gray. That is all the bag says is in it.
What is the difference in these clays besides the name?
I know Terramin is red.
But is "green" clay really gray?
Florida has very sandy (ground glass) soil and I will try anything.
I have containers and 2 raised beds with various mixes in them, including all kitchen refuse and lawn clippings.
Nothing grows well without the addition of commercial ferilizer.

new topics

top topics

join