It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is It Possible To See FTL?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Picture yourself in a bubble.

Picture yourself moving through the space.

You begin moving faster and faster.

You approach the speed that light travels.

Picture there is just one source of light and you are racing it. What happens when you step inside of it? All blinding white? Outside of it? Complete darkness? What happens if you go beyond the edge of the photons that are racing you?

I can only imagine it being like your on some kind of trip. Light starts expanding or appearing to "slow", stretching, elongating...? Kinda like the how they portray it in star wars. But how can your brain digest that kind of information? Can it?

How can you see light if you are moving faster than it?

Maybe this is a new dimension?

I find the whole general theory of relativity and time travel fascinating. The only plausible/ logical explanation I have heard for time travel is if you go back and change something...somehow a new timeline is formed. But how?

Why is there a speed limit to light anyway? How did that limit come to be? Of course one could go on forever questioning all physics itself...but there has to be some explanation, eh?

While the smart dudes figure it out ill kick back and cheers to those mind *****, er...brain teasers.

Anyway, not much point to this...just had those random thoughts...And also, just wanted to give a shout out to all those scientists who slave away at these fascinating questions...

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
i think if your traveling outside of time you probably have the ability to look at all of it like it was in a box sitting in front of you wouldnt you? or mybe an old news real or similar. could it all just be a creation of thought?

i have some questions as well,

if light is traveling whats telling it were to go?

how does light know when to stop and when to reflect?

what propels the light?

i tend to look at everything as if it has a conscious equal to mine, so i ask myself questions like i would ask the light. does that make sense? does anyone else do this?
i like this topic.

if i ask the light to stop will it?

[edit on 21-9-2009 by onequestion]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

ya..thinking about these things gets the old rusty gears a turnin!..lol

but

if you do this:

if i ask the light to stop will it?

I would do it when no one was around...lol

i would say though, that considering how unique light is the answer to some of those questions may lead to many of the "un answerable" questions to be more accurately theorized...like what is 'god'...or how did we get here?...or something...

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
@open_eyeballs:

it would be exactly the same perspective as driving down the road looking at things you drive by. from your perspective, the things going the opposite way are sped up by your speed, when you pass something it rotates, when you gain on another car, it slows down. Light being radial, would look like giant balls radiating out of the original light source (in a void, with multiple light sources, it would be completely white from the light of all the light sources emitting light). Now as you approach the one light source of the beam directly infront of you, it would be infinantly small, and bright, because once you stopped it would flood around you (basically you'd would stay in the beam of light forever, and you would never realize where the center of the radiance actually is, then you would pass, it, and all light from it would stay even with you (if your going the same exactly speed of light)... with the time travel multiple dimension thing, its only a simple way of describing the things that you would effect. if there werent multiple dimensions, and time was linier (not like branching out into multiple dimensions) your choices would make paradoxes, and scientifically, this cant happen, so scientists subscribe to the theory that dimensions branch out to simplify it.

@ onequestion:
its impossible for you to travel "outside of time", if you did, then you wouldnt have recollection of it, life would just be stopped, forever. Light is directed by the surface of the objects that it comes into contact with, shiny things make it reflect, things like smoke (just extremely tiny vapor droplets) make it spread out, and weaken. The original source propels light, light is only one form of energy, if that energy gets released in a certain manner, then it comes out as light (radiation, light, sound, matter, are all the same energy, just traveling on different wavelengths)

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Nope. Not possible to see FTL, even if the photon(s) is(are) heading directly at you. Though logic states that two objects moving at each other have a combined velocity, this depends on your ability to observe them.
As soon as they enter your frame of reference, they will slow down to appear in your reference frame and once they leave your frame of reference, they will return to their original velocity. Oddly, they won't change velocity at all. The change in velocity is in reference to you, not them.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
The light that forms the images in your mind resonates faster than light... so yes it is possible to see faster than light.

On being outside of time (internally, don't know about inside a ship) you would experience all time and since time is space you also experience all space giving you the perception that you are all that is and ever was, and that ever will be, all at once.

Over and out
Twisted-Inside-Out

[edit on 22/9/09 by Twisted-Inside-Out]

top topics

join