It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why join the freemasons?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton

Originally posted by Haydn_17
I want some advice from freemason members here on ATS as to why they became a mason, what do you stand for?
What do we stand for? Truth, justice, and the American way! Oh, wait. No. That's Superman, not Masons. (Faster than a speeding octogenarian; more powerful than a AA battery; able to leap small pebbles in a single bound. It's a reptilian, it's the NWO, No! It's a "High Level" Mason!)

Are there benefits to masonry?
You get out of it what you put into it. If you want camaraderie, a bunch of new friends with some common interests and some life experiences different than your own, they're there. If you want security that your wife and children will be cared for after you're dead, that's there. If you want to dive into a bottomless well of knowledge, philosophy, allegory and symbolism, there aren't many better places to look. If you're into practicing something until you have it perfect (whether as a personal challenge to yourself, or just because you're an OCD type), there's something for you. If you like helping charities and doing the right thing, not because of praise or recognition, but simply because it is the right thing to do, then Masonry is for you.

I joined as more or less a self-help program. I wanted to be a better father, a better husband, a better friend, a better member of my community. Masonry has shown me some tools that can help me achieve those goals and given me an environment that fosters such growth, as well as a support system to tap me on the shoulder and whisper gentle guidance in my ear should I slide or lose sight of the big picture. Is that what it is for everyone? Certainly not. But that's what I sought, so that's what I found. Your milage may vary.

[edit on 9/11/2009 by JoshNorton]

BRAVO!!!!!!!! BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!
WELL SAID BROTHER WELL SAID

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Tzsephanyahu

it took me 4 years. but im probably not in the same form of freemasonry as everyone else here. and i care not to share which rite.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by fianna

Oh, you are one of those.

Nobody will think any less of you for joining a clandestine group. Most still give the same teachings, they just don't ad hear to the rules like the main lodges. In fact there is a MM mason on these boards. If you care to share some thoughts, you should start a thread. As I said, nobody will haze you. There are just some things we can't discuss.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

no its not clandestine group i just choose not to discuss it.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
none of us know you so whats the problem. sigh this is the thing that really annoys me the most about freemasonry. everyone goes on about how great it is and everyone should/would be proud to be one. then you get a guy like this who refuses to talk about any of it, and i am once again faced with the question, why so much difficulty and secrecy around something supposedly benign?

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by abcddcba

You should not feel like i am trying to hide something because of my affiliation, rather i do not want to discuss it for personal reasons as the rite might show where I am from and i do not want that.

there are other rites then Scottish and York. and the one i am in is in this list rite

keeping secrets is a requirement for freemasonry, so if you cannot keep a secret i would think this is not the place for you anyhow. the road is the way, the light is the truth, only you can choose the path.

edit on 7-10-2010 by fianna because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
i dont want you to reveal your secrets, i know about keepin secrets. im one of the most secret keepin secret keepers that ever kept a secret, but some of the things you guys "keep secret" arent even all that secret, just uncommonly known. theres lots of conjecture and hearsay all over the internet and in books, then when you ask a mason to clear it up you get nothing but more nonsense most of the time. as i read over my post, secret is a silly word isnt it. see crett.

but when you have a thread full of people going yeah its great, then one guy going im not gonna talk about it. its like hmmm why not, and why post in the first place?

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
You should reconsider your will. Why to join freemasons ? Any true progression is only personal, it cannot be obtained or offered by any kind of group. And you can find true friends among anybody, everywhere, you don't to be mason.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by moltquedelo

Moltquedelo, you are absolutely right that neither freemasonry (nor any other society) is necessary for personal growth.

Different people have different ways of exploring their existence. Some people read books. Others join spiritual groups, where there may be a leader who has studied theology and philosophy (such as a priest or pastor.) Other simply choose to interact with friends and share life experiences and beliefs. Others join scholarly groups. However, some people may not enjoy sharing their life views and experiences with friends or spiritual groups for fear of being judged. For such people, Freemasonry provides an environment where you may speak freely to friends who will actually listen to your opinion, and will never ever judge you for it. You can share a personal experience with friends with absolute confidence that it will remain confidential, if you so wish.

People often become Masons because their views on life are radically different from mainstream thought, and they tend to get ridiculed by the masses. Thus, Freemasonry is an environment where you will hear new ideas and ideologies that you've never heard before, all the better to help you to understand life. Of course, you could read books and get the same info. But some people prefer to discuss these philosophies with others, rather than simply absorb information from books.

Yes, there are many ways to learn, many ways of gaining information, and many different journeys of personal growth. Freemasonry is simply one such way. It is not better than any of the other paths. It is not superior. It will not teach you anything that you will not learn from the other paths. It is simply a matter of personal preference, and may be better suited to your personality than the other journeys. And, if you like, you can belong to many of the paths, as many Masons do, belonging to spiritual groups and scholarly groups as well.

It's simply a matter of personal preference.

I, personally, learned theology from the Roman Catholic Church. I learned philosophy from my mother, a Buddhist. I learned morals from my father. I learned love from my wife. I learned esoteric knowledge through books. I learned science and grammar from school and university. I learned how they all fit together through Freemasonry.

edit on 8/10/2010 by Saurus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
So good to see familiar faces here. Welcome Brethren.
Why did I join FM? That my OP friend is a good question.

I joined for many reasons. After retiring from the military, I felt empty and lost. FM has filled that void and the Brotherly love has renewed my faith in mankind.

I joined to become a better member of society.
To become more enlightened.
To help the unfortunate.
To be a part of something bigger.

This may sound old fashioned and corny, but I still believe in Honour, Truth, Service. The main reasons I chose to give 20 years service to the Crown. These things still exist within the Lodges.

Basically, my friend, if FM can help me become a better person, then I have made the right move by joining.

S&F Brethren All.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saurus
I, personally, learned theology from the Roman Catholic Church. I learned philosophy from my mother, a Buddhist. I learned morals from my father. I learned love from my wife. I learned esoteric knowledge through books. I learned science and grammar from school and university. I learned how they all fit together through Freemasonry.

that was very well said Brother.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
why join any group?

There are so many I can think of... Lions, Variety etc

A group of like minded people getting together on a regular basis... no conspiracy

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I only found out recently my Grand father was a Worshipful Master in the masons in Manchester England, Not really sure what a worshipfull master does, but sounds quite cool. He's dead now so I know very little about masons.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Saurus

Wow. I missed you post there Brother.
That was deep and well said. To be honest, I would have totally missed it if Network Dude, bless his little cotton socks, had not highlighted it. Thank you to both of you.
edit on 8/10/2010 by TheLoneArcher because: Shame on me for miss-spelling Network Dude.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
I only found out recently my Grand father was a Worshipful Master in the masons in Manchester England, Not really sure what a worshipfull master does, but sounds quite cool. He's dead now so I know very little about masons.

The worshipful master is the title of the presiding officer of the lodge. In other organizations, he would be called "president".

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
i began my initiation into hermetics because i wanted to transmute the crap that my soul was into glistening gold. seriously, if you people took the time to actually read, you would realize that these occult mystery schools exist to HELP you evolve spiritually.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by fianna
reply to post by Tzsephanyahu

it took me 4 years. but im probably not in the same form of freemasonry as everyone else here. and i care not to share which rite.

Freemasonry is freemasonry. Yes there are multiple grand lodges, clandestine groups, etc. But why would you even say you're "not in the same form".

You're in a blue lodge, no?

Everything else is an appendant body.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by tonypazzo
i began my initiation into hermetics because i wanted to transmute the crap that my soul was into glistening gold. seriously, if you people took the time to actually read, you would realize that these occult mystery schools exist to HELP you evolve spiritually.

no, no you wouldnt. i read a lot, a loooot. everything that has letters on it that passes in front of my eyes i read, even if its not english i still try and decipher it. freemasonry is one of the most convoluted topics i've ever come across besides religion, christianity specifically. everything i read about freemasonry contradicts everything else, and freemasons dont help when they choose to make everything a secret, even such a simple question as "what is freemasonry"? so no if you took the time to read you most certainly would not realize why mystery schools exist because everything about them is a mystery especially what they are and do. i thought freemasons were an ancient school of builders who taught geometric and mathematical principals, that was what drew my original interest. i love math and formulas and all that but i suck at math, i thought maybe they could teach me some method of learning math that would help me understand it and remember better. the more i got into it i learned its not about cutting stones and building structures at all, that its prolly really:

alien reptiles from atlantis
secret egyptian magic
devil worship
the illuminati
the new world order
a group of fun loving guys sitting around drinking beer and planning barbeques
people who like having logos on their cars
people with secret handshakes that are controlling the world
or possibly a religious group.

what the truth is im still no closer to knowing.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by abcddcba

1. alien reptiles from atlantis
2. secret egyptian magic
3. devil worship
4. the illuminati
5. the new world order
6. a group of fun loving guys sitting around drinking beer and planning barbeques
7. people who like having logos on their cars
8. people with secret handshakes that are controlling the world
9. or possibly a religious group.

what the truth is im still no closer to knowing.

for what it's worth, the correct answer is a tiny bit of #2, #6 (minus the beer), possibly some of #7, and the first part of #8.

We operate in speculative masonry and not operative. You want operative masonry. We teach life lessons based on the way stone cutters were taught.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
...#6 (minus the beer)...

*cue sad violin music*

You make this too easy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join