It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PMDD and the big Pharmas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I am unsure if it is the right board to start this discussion so please, if it is not, move this thread to the appropriate forum.

PMDD or Premenstrual dysphoric disorder

A few years ago, I have noticed a birth control ad, the YAZ pill, claimed that it also treats PMDD. Scratching my head at this not so new medical term, even tho it was the first time I have heard of such a thing, the ad went on to describe what is PMDD.

From the YAZ website

PMDD symptoms can include

* Anger
* Irritability
* Markedly depressed moods
* Feeling anxious
* Bloating
* Change in appetite
* Headaches
* Muscle aches

This is when I seriously started to scratch the top of my head thinking, have they decided to rename PMS to PMDD and in effect, marketed a new disorder for everything that is listed in that ad is what used to be called good ole PMS, get out of my way, it is my time of the month and I just do not feel jolly at all ?!?

Now that was back in 2006 and I didn't much think of it much for I just thought that they have found a way to market a pill which included some "Midol" TM in it.

Midol for your time of the month is good for

the temporary relief of these symptoms associated with menstrual periods:

• cramps
• bloating
• water-weight gain
• breast tenderness
• headache
• backache
• muscle aches
• fatigue

So with all of the above mentioned symptoms, would you feel angry, irritable, depressed and anxious?

I do but I didn't know that what I was experiencing every month known as PMS had been renamed as PMDD. There are several instance where I have been referred when I had my occasional mood swing as "queen bitch" or "stay away from her, it is her time of the month" or "be careful, her aunt flo is visiting" but I have never been asked nor suggested to take an anti depressant for those monthly mood swings.

I ask to the women out there, would you consider taking anti depressants such as Prozac or Paxil for your monthly mood swings? I sure wouldn't but this is what PMDD relief is all about, anti depressants. I became aware of that sad fact when I saw a documentary of Free Speech TV, cannot recall the title of it but it had to do with the evil of Paxil, an anti depressant.

I was horrified to learn that PMDD medicines contained some form of anti depressants, what ever brand or name they give it, PMDD relief all contain either...

Google PMDD medication

The first hit I got Depression guide website

To treat the emotional symptoms of PMDD (e.g., depression, tearfulness, mood swings, anxiety, anger, irritability, fatigue, difficulty concentrating), the majority of experts recommend antidepressant medications. Research shows that antidepressants help both the emotional symptoms of PMDD and often the physical symptoms as well. While there are many types of antidepressants available, for PMDD, the experts recommend antidepressants called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), which affect a brain chemical called serotonin.

Selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are antidepressant drugs that can treat PMDD. SSRIs include fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem), sertraline (Zoloft), paroxetine (Paxil), fluvoxamine (Luvox), and citalopram (Celexa).

and if that was not enough

Anxiolytics (Antianxiety Drugs) Medication for PMDD

When anxiety symptoms are an outstanding feature of PMDD, antianxiety drugs are sometimes used. Some of the main antianxiety drugs are Alprazolam (Xanax and others), Clonazepam (Klonopin and others) and Lorazepam (Ativan and others). Alprazolam, a high-potency benzodiazepine with mood-enhancing and anxiolytic effects, has been shown to be somewhat effective in patients with PMS. Drugs of this type tend to work quickly and may be used either as needed or regularly. Dependence and tolerance are occasional problems with these drugs.

???

So now I have to get high because I have mood swings?

Would anyone willingly go on anti depressants because their time of the month is unpleasant?

I know of 2 pills so far that contains PMDD medicines, Yaz and Yasmine. If anyone is aware of more, please post them and expose this PMDD conspiracy!

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Over here in the midwest we have television commercials telling us all about various "medications" that are now causing sever health defects and deaths. YAZ and Yasmine is the latest commercial telling us how if we had used and experienced any of the long list of symptoms, that we could be part of the class action lawsuit taken against the makers of YAZ and Yasmine. Do a search on the name YAZ. The first four results are for personal injury lawyers.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Next time you go at the doctor office because you are suffering of some sort of PMS symptoms, make sure to know all the facts of what is being prescribed to you or your teenager.

I have started this thread to educate about the new methods to treat PMS and the so called PMDD.

Be aware, Big Pharma keeps coming with new disorders that will inevitably lead you to take more of their quickly FDA approved medication.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
they just want to make money. go ahead if u want, i wouldnt trust stuff like that to cope with anything.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by miss_silver

My cure for menstuation problems was endometrial ablation. That is an invasive surgery that burns away the lining of the uterus, therefore no more "monthy visits from aunt flo".

I have three daughters, 2 have children and 1 just turned 14. My oldest daughters both had pre-cancerous cells removed from their respective cervix's. Daughter number two is no longer able to conceive. Daughter number one sustained extensive damage after her surgery requiring pain medication which she became dependant upon. Daughter number three so far so good.
But she is now terrified about the gardisil shot which her pediatrician recommended she receive as soon as her periods began last year.

It seems that women bearing or able to bear children are not doing so well in the medical department.

Good for you to try to educate us.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hazelnut
Over here in the midwest we have television commercials telling us all about various "medications" that are now causing sever health defects and deaths. YAZ and Yasmine is the latest commercial telling us how if we had used and experienced any of the long list of symptoms, that we could be part of the class action lawsuit taken against the makers of YAZ and Yasmine. Do a search on the name YAZ. The first four results are for personal injury lawyers.

I am aware of those lawsuit but they are being sued on a synthetic progesterone, drospirone/ethinyl estradiol which is what is causing all those severe side effects and not on the serotonin reuptake inhibitor it contains.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Great, Firefox deleted my response.

PMDD is not PMS but it is. It gets confusing.

PMDD is a severe form of PMS.

Just take normal PMS multiply it by 100 and add in depression, loss of self confidence and possible suicidal tendencies. THAT = PMDD

It's pretty much a monthly severe depression spell for anyone who has it.

Believe me, men complain about a week hiding from their female friends. I spend a week avoiding my mother because she becomes an emotional wreck and there is nothing I can do to make her feel better.

If you want an example of how bad I have seen it get:
A few years ago my mother confided in me that during one of her PMDD cycles she considered killing my siblings and I then taking her own life.

PMDD is an actual condition guys, try not to confuse it with PMS.

Edit: spelling

[edit on 9/3/2009 by Tentickles]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

never knew that, thanks for the info.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

Hazel, I am so sorry to hear this

My mother had to have an hysterectomy because of the continuous cyst she kept experiencing on her ovaries. What horrifies me in all this is the liberal use of anti depressants for something that have been with us, women, since the dawn of time!

And you have a point Hazel, woman who are able to bear or baring aren't doing fine at all in the medical department. Paxil is currently being sued for some serious birth defects so why include such an ingredient in medicines treating PMS/PMDD?

Just doesn't make any sense.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
...pms (or whatever its called now) is a syndrome created by pharmaceutical companies... thirty / forty years ago, doctors hooked countless women on valium (mother's little helpers) for the same reasons, mood swings, irritability, lack of motivation, etc... those doctors should've told the women that its absolutely normal to have crabby days and it has nothing to do with gender or "aunt flo" - but - the doctors didnt do that because theres no profit in the truth...

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks
...pms (or whatever its called now) is a syndrome created by pharmaceutical companies... thirty / forty years ago, doctors hooked countless women on valium (mother's little helpers) for the same reasons, mood swings, irritability, lack of motivation, etc... those doctors should've told the women that its absolutely normal to have crabby days and it has nothing to do with gender or "aunt flo" - but - the doctors didnt do that because theres no profit in the truth...

Did you read my response up there?

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

OK, firefox have deleted 2 of my replies, so I am gonna bookmark those sites and comeback when I have chilled!

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks

Did you read my response up there?

...yep, i read it before my initial post... whats your point?...

top topics

join