It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food stamp list jumps 22% - Way past 35 million

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   

More than 35 million Americans received food stamps in June, up 22 percent from June 2008 and a new record as the country continued to grapple with the worst recession since the Great Depression of the 1930s.

The food stamp program, which helps cover the cost of groceries for one in nine Americans, has grown in step with the U.S. unemployment rate which stood at 9.4 percent in July.

The Labor Department will release August employment figures on Friday.

June was the seventh straight month in which food stamp rolls set a record. The average benefit in June was $133.12 per person.

www.reuters.com...

The hidden cost of economic recovery. More people laid off, evicted, foreclosed and hungry all for the bottom line of the savvy investor.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

The hidden cost of economic recovery. More people laid off, evicted, foreclosed and hungry all for the bottom line of the savvy investor.

Hell is coming. It's not going to be tea bagger angst. Many tea bag protests are those who are still working.

As unemployment numbers continue to grow...and people become hungry...

That's when the government better worry. If things keep pace as they are now....watch out.

And I hope the corporate power doesn't think they will go unscathed...nor the bankers....they are far outnumbered by the 300 million plus people in this country...many of whom have just about had enough of everything.

As of right now...as Democrats lose support...we wil lmost likely see Republicans gain tons of seats in both tthe senate and the house. Then...THEY TOO will no longer "benefit" from the people's anger.

I think it's coming...I hope I'm wrong....but Republicans are getting too much of a break right now by much of the population.

[edit on 3-9-2009 by David9176]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Well... It's just confirmation of what I already knew was coming.

I have listened to the Dept. of Social "Services" workers (having been assigned to work in their office for a while as part of my "assignment" to receive MY food stamps and rent payment) and they are aghast at the numbers of people applying and being processed these days.

Numbers are good to have though. Thanks for posting this.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I can justifiably say that the OS is completely correct, i work for a supermarket as a cashier(family owned, no corporate BS) and nearly half of the people i serve in one day are using food stamps or WIC checks, thats A LOT of people.

top topics

join