It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats the best steak money can buy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
This weekend I am celebrating my birthday as well as a few of my buddies birthdays and we are having a huge bbq.
I would like to treat myself to the best steak I can get.
So my question is whats the best cut and how should I marinate it?
I was thinking a really big fat juicy steak but am not really sure what to by as I rarely eat or buy red meat.

Any ideas on cooking it will be helpful as well...I don't have to bbq it if someone has a better idea?
Also if anybody has any suggestions on the perfect wine to go with it would be awesome as I have no clue with that stuff...I usually just do a bottle of Brunello for everything.(its my fav so far)

So whats the ultimate steak dinner?

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
There's a difference between the best you can buy and the best you can get. If you have a source for Kobe beef, some consider that the best you can buy.

My personal favorite is a porterhouse. Prime is almost impossible to find, and so is aged. If you can get aged prime, that would be great. You can still make a great steak with non-aged choice.

Marinade? No, not for this. I'd just season with kosher or sea salt and coarse fresh ground black pepper. Paint the steak with some cooking oil with a high smoke point first. Then cook it on a hot, hot fire, quickly. Throw a pat of butter on it right at the end, then take it off the grill and cover it with foil to rest for at least 5 minutes to let the juices redistribute.

Happy Birthday.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

I go for the rib-eye on the bone ... yum yum.

My birthday present to you:

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
porterhouse man..
use a dry rub though. no marinade

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

I'd have to agree, Kobe beef is considered the best. Personally I've never tried it, but I will eventually. It's probably so good you wouldn't want to season it any further than than the standard salt and pepper.

I'll take a 24 oz. Kobe beef ribeye black & blue.

Peace

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Both Wagyu and Kobe steaks are sex on a plate. They are tough to cook the right way though. Porterhouse is an easier cut to deal with, and still tastey.

But if you can get real Kobe, its unbelievable. Kobe is a type of Wagyu, its all very confusing as far as their sources, but if its certified, you're probably good. These cattle are sake and beer-fed, and then massaged daily to distribute the fat and tenderize the meat.

I've actually eaten Wagyu Tartar (raw) and its amazing. I'm a big japanese cuisine freak though, so I have odd tastes.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Porterhouse is my favorite....you get the Filet Mignon on one side of the bone and a New York strip on the other. Salt, pepper and olive oil is all I'd season it with and after it's cooked maybe some herb butter melting over the top.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

Next time I'm in the hospital, I'm requesting an herb butter I.V.

I loves me some herb butter!

Peace

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

I love that stuff. I make my own with roasted garlic, rosemary, oregano, thyme and a little olive oil. It's super easy...and super delicious.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Thanks for all the advice,I certainly am out of my elemant when it comes to what to buy.I usually don't eat steak.

I did a small search and supposedly I might be able to get kobe here.
If I can't then I am going to get a porterhouse.

Any ideas on a good wine to go with it?

Also,are you a chef Yeahright?I have seen a few of your posts in this forum and you seem like you really know what your doing with food.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Thanks man!!LOL
That pic is a work of art.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
Also,are you a chef Yeahright?I have seen a few of your posts in this forum and you seem like you really know what your doing with food.

Not even a little bit. But I do like to eat me some meat. By the way, Kobe is a type of beef, not a cut. Refers specifically to the beef that comes from Waygu cattle. So you could get a Kobe beef porterhouse but it will probably set you back $100+ per steak

Unless you're a serious beef eater (which I am) and a real artist cooking (which I am not) I wouldn't spend the money. I'd stick with a good Choice cut (a step below Prime but still very good), cook it right (meaning don't overcook it), and you'll be happy.

High end restaurants glom up most of the Prime grade. What you'll find in markets and butcher shops, with rare exception, is Choice grade. Think of it like this - unless you have a very sophisticated and educated palate, you'll not likely see a difference between a $15 bottle of good wine and a $75 bottle. And I wouldn't. I know next to nothing about wine. I prefer a good Beefeater martini or two on the rocks before dinner and maybe a Grand Mariner with a cup of coffee after. Wine goes in the salad dressing

By the way, a steak butter recipe I like is some unsalted butter mashed up with some blue cheese and a few drops of hot sauce. If I have a great cut of steak t work with, no additional adornment is really necessary though, maybe other than the pat of butter melting right at the end as the steak rests.

[edit on 9/4/2009 by yeahright]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
i don't know much about wines but i think with a steak you'd want to go with a red.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Ribeye with bone-in.

Go here: www.youtube.com...

The BBQ Boys.
Great site and they cook everything on the Weber shown.

I've done this one twice.
Great both times.

Take note of the coals on one side of the BBQ.

I've cooked whole chicken on the cool side, turning it 3-4 times.
Just a rub on the chicken and about half a beer in a beer can placed above the coals.

No flare ups doing it this way.

(The plan was to do beer butt chicken, but the holder - from another BBQ - was too tall for the Weber so I just cooked it on the grille.)

Peruse the site while you're there.

You'll learn a lot.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
The best marinade:

2 TBSP dijon or cajun mustard
3 TBSP soy sauce
6 TBSP olive oil
1/2 TSP minced garlic
1/4 TSP onion powder

Chill for at least one hour, flipping at the half way mark. Remove from fridge 30 minutes prior to grilling. Salt and pepper meat to taste.

It makes any cut of meat from steak to chicken to fish taste great.

edit to add: In a tight times it doesn't hurt to add a few dashes of meat tenderizer to less desirable cuts of meat. It all tastes the same with a few beers or a glass of wine any way...

[edit on 4/9/2009 by kosmicjack]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
So I ended up just asking the guy for his best porterhouse.....he gave me a t-bone.I am not sure if thats the same thing or not but man was it ever good.
I also picked up a 2 inch thick new york and I ended up eating them both.
Instead of a good wine I just ended up drinking alot of beer.

Thanks for the advice everyone...I ate one of the tastiest steaks I have ever eaten.
Next time i have to prepare meat I will have to come back here for the recipes as you guys sure have some great ideas.
Thanks again everyone!!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Porterhouse, good call A porterhouse could be cut into two different steaks. The larger side is a NY strip. The smaller side is a fillet. The difference between a porterhouse and a T-bone is the size of the fillet side. A big fillet side makes it a porterhouse. What you basically ate was two NY Strips and a fillet

I prefer meat cooked on the bone. Chicken, pork, or beef, it all tastes better and is juicier if it's cooked on the bone I think.

Next time try some nice thick porkchops on the bone. The ones I prefer look like a pork version of a t-bone. Much better than the boneless, "butterfly" chops to me.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

I haven't ate pork in a looong time.Actually I haven't really cooked a meal in a long time either to be honest.
:shk:
When I do pork chops I fry them with a bit of garlic and then toss them in a pot with mushroom soup and onions.
I'm a one trick pony with pork chops LOL

Do you have any good recipes for pork chops?....I only have one.LOL

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Best is to season as you'd like and throw on the grill. There's a mistaken assumption that pork has to be cooked dry to be "safe". That's not true. I wouldn't want rare pork, but a little pink is okay, and you for sure want it juicy. You can use something like Montreal Steak seasoning or Weber Grill seasoning ( I use the Chicago Steak one) and get really good results. Just fresh ground pepper and garlic salt do well, also.

I also really like breaded and fried pork chops with mashed potatoes and gravy. I might even like that better, but the kitchen cleanup after that is so intensive (like fried chicken) that the grilled version is a more than satisfactory equivalent for me.

new topics

top topics

join