It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Angkor Wat: The Lost Cities (Images)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   
QUOTE:

This collection of massive stone temples, built between the 9th and 13th centuries, was rediscovered by French explorers in the Cambodian jungle in the 1860s and enjoyed in popularity with scholars and adventurers early in the last century.

More Images Here:

www.circleofasia.com...

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Beautiful place.

I took the liberty, in hopes of helping progress the conversations and thoughts associated with Angkor Wat, to find some threads that may help add to your information quaneeri.

Not enough discussion is or has been made of this magnificent place.

THE MYSTERIES OF ANGKOR WAT
Khmers claim that Gaint build Angkor wat

I hope these links above will help facilitate further conversation on and of Angkor Wat that you have commented on.

seekerof

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Thanks for the links Seekerof.

I find these ancient temples hidden in the undergrowth facinating to look at.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Do you have more pics?
Have you ever been or considered going?
I would definitely be interested in hearing what the local folklore is of the surrounding area and the temple complex/area itself. Have you heard of any?

Awesome stuff. I am aware of a couple 'legends' of the temple complex/area, but would be interested in finding, reading, or hearing more.

seekerof

[Edited on 13-5-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Quote:

The Thais sacked Angkor in 1431 and the Khmers abandoned the city in 1432, after this the city was more or less 'lost' for a few centuries. Wandering Buddhist monks, passing through the dense jungles, occasionally came upon the awesome ruins. Recognizing the sacred nature of the temples but ignorant of their origins, they invented fables about the mysterious sanctuaries, saying they had been built by the gods in a far ancient time. Centuries passed, these fables became legends, and pilgrims from the distant reaches of Asia sought out the mystic city of the gods. A few Portuguese and other adventurous European travelers knew of the ruins, and stories circulated in antiquarian circles of the strange city lost in the jungles

Temple of Ta Prohm, Angkor, Cambodia

[Edited on 13-5-2004 by quaneeri]

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Certainly Angkor has been a fascinating mystery for a long time. What puzzles me though is the persisting legends about a snake princess visiting every night the Phimeanakas Palace, her visits were closely associated with the prosperity of the kingdom.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
This looks like that scene right out of Tomb Raider one lol
Oh well, very good photos

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Browha.

Yeh you are right, it does look like that scene out of raiders.

That's why i was facinated by the images.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Simply beautiful.

That is now on my list to see places.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   
nathraq

Thanks.

There is something very mysterious to me about jungle temples covered in vines and moss.

QUOTE:

Angkor Wat is the highest achievement of Khmer temple architecture, and is today the "flagship" of the temples at Angkor. The temple is a huge pyramid structure. The compound at Angkor Wat covers an area of 1,500 by 1,300 m (4,920 by 4,265 ft) and is surrounded by a vast moat 180 m (590 ft) wide. Along the causeway leading to the enormous entrance gate are balustrades shaped as giant serpents, which are believed to represent emblems of cosmic fertility. The temple consists of a towering complex of terraces and small buildings that are arranged in a series of three diminishing stories and surmounted by five towers. The roofed and unroofed structures are covered with bands of finely carved stone sculptures. The walls are covered with carved reliefs that illustrate Hindu mythology, principally scenes relating to the god Vishnu, to whom the temple was dedicated. The "mass of bas-relief carving is of the highest quality and the most beautifully executed in Angkor." All the temple mountains of Angkor were filled with three-dimensional images and every inch of the walls are covered by sculptures.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 12:48 PM
link   

More images here:

www.leidenuniv.nl...

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
angkor wat is derived from the ancient indian language of Sanskrit. It is is said to be the depiction of the center of the universe and the home of the hindu gods on earth. It has scenes from the Hindu epics Ramayana and Mahabharata and tributes to the Hindu gods Vishnu and Shiva.

i also find angkor wat a fascinating place and would love to visit in person

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
those ruins are simply beautiful

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Oh wow! I *want* to go!

I'd love to do a documentary on the place!

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
An attempt to wake this thread up.

This is an amazing place.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Flag for you because Angkor Wat is amazing.

Like others I would love to go there. However, a good friend who frequents south Asia has strongly advised against any visit to Cambodia though A.W. is a popular destination.

new topics

top topics

join