It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To pass health bill, figure head switched, will it work?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Democrats are hoping that the memory of Sen. Ted Kennedy will revive the Democratic Party's flagging push for health care reform.

Democrats are hoping that Kennedy's influence in death may be even stronger than it was when he was alive as they push for President Obama's top domestic priority. Democratic officials hope that invoking Kennedy's passion for the issue will counter slippage in support for heatlh care reform.

"Ted Kennedy's dream of quality health care for all Americans will be made real this year because of his leadership and his inspiration," said House Speaker Nancy Pelosi in a statement.
abcnews.go.com...

Disgusting
Using the man's legacy to push a health bill. Seriously.
Doesn't this show how desperate they are? Grasping at whatever they can to make it pass. Am I the only one who sees it this way?

[edit on 27-8-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Never hurts to drag out a corpse for your own goals. Since the corpse can no longer act or speak you are at liberty to shape what the corpse represents through popular media.

"Ted would have wanted it this way"

"Not voting for this bill tarnishes that great mans memory"

And other like meaningless garbage that will be used to leverage people into voting a certain way.

People are stupid for doing it and theyre stupid for falling for it.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Dangerous gamble on that, and maybe even benefit the opponents of healtchare reform. Despite the love that the hard left, west coast Dems, and northeast Dems had for Kennedy, he has long been a pariah for those of us in flyover country. From my position in the center (admittedly with some libertarian and conservative leanings) Ted Kennedy was an example of what is wrong with the Democrats as much as Dick Cheney is an example of what is wrong with Republicans.

I'm sure that the MSM will hop right on board with Kennedy as a figurehead for this monstosity of a healthcare bill. I'm for reform, and from personal experience I know that the current system sucks, but I don't trust the Dems to make sure that only citizens receive the benefits of this.

I heard an excellent report on NPR Tuesday about comparing the different types of Western health Systems. I must say that Canada and Britain are more than welcome to have the single payer system. I'm extremely intrigued by the non-profit insurance company model used by France, Switzerland, and Germany, and would much rather see the US move in that direction.

join