It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enterprise:star trek

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I just finished watching Enterprise on dvd. Now I came in on the TNG series. Watch TOS when I can. Enjoyed Voyager.

I tried to watch Enterprise, but couldn't get past the awful "rock ballad" as another ATSer put it. And I thought that Scott Bakula wasn't a good captain.

I heard later that the later seasons were good.

Since it has been several years since I have had my ST fill. I started watching it as a stop gap. And I am regretting not supporting the show when it was on, and watching more of it. And bakula was an awesome captain.

It has its downfalls, don't get me wrong. But I thought it was very good.

So why didn't it do so well, besides the aforementioned?

I have read threads where people think the first problem was that it was aired on UPN, and they didn't give it the chance or attention it needed.

I think some of the cons is that it was too much TNG. And they really need to stop with the time stuff. Time stuff has been way overdone, and they went overboard on top of that. the Xindi stuff was really cool, but should of been a future series> not Enterprise.
That should of been voyager or later.

They should of never touched Borg.

The series was supposed to be on the ship itself and humans starting out. The ship worked perfectly, better then Voyager. They met all these new species.

I think if they focused more on: meeting the vulcans, andorians, and klingons.

They focuses a lot on Vulcans. And it was nice to get to see them more in depth. Instead of the same ol meeting new species formula, we could of gotten more indepth with the others.

I love Shran. Wish we had more of him.

They could of focused more on the starting of starfleet, and the problems thereof. They seemed to establish this friendly, stoic pecking order of TNG. Since it was all brand new, they could of certainly focused on more issues with that.

And with getting the ship to work correctly. The ship got too advanced to fast. It was like they couldn't write the show without doing it.

And they should of developed the relationship with t'pol and tucker. You were teased the whole series. And it didn't go either way. That relationship would of been more of Roddenberry's style. Since it was taboo. They could of really played that up. And that would of appealed to the female fans.

I thought Hoshi's character was weak.

Pro's.
Other then Hoshi, the cast was awesome. You adored Tucker, admired Archer, and wanted to know t'pol more. The doctors on any of the series never let you down.

Even though there were too many new aliens, they were cool. And you got to see more of the Orions and andorians. I would of loved to have seen Denobula.

While too much, the Xindi concept was neat.

The ship was cool. Instead of everything being automated. It had monitors and buttons and didn't involve the computer too much.

I would love to hear your input. Was Enterprise not given enough time and credit?

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
And a further question is: how has it ratings been faring since it has been on teh SciFi channel?

and has a tv show ever been brought back?

And was part of the problem too much ST fatigue, since they bumped out TNG, DS9, and voyager, one right after the other? If they waited a few years, would it of had a better chance?

And how much do you think Bragga played into it? I hear he gets a lot of blame.

[edit on 23-8-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I agree with you on the rock ballad for the musical theme. The other problem was the constant use of time travel for the plot lines. The first season actually was the best as the later seasons lacked real focus. The whole series was a mess, but the actors were good and tried to make some decent impressions. I think the writers got lazy and relied too much on the usual tricks.

I don't know what its ratings are, but they must be decent as the reruns are still shown.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I was a huge TNG fan and loved Voyager as well. Never got into DS9 and when Enterprise came out I didn't bother because I felt a little overwhelmed with all things Star Trek.

I noticed last month that HDNet on Direct TV airs two Enterprise episodes per week day and thought I would start recording them just in case I got bored and needed something to watch.

I am starting to get hooked. Not necessarily on the plots or ship but the cast really does a good job keeping the Star Trek universe in the proper place. I absolutely love the little things like an episode I watched this weekend, Reed was working on a tactical alert system and trying to figure out what to call it and came up with "Reed Alert"

Even though the episodes seem to be completely out of order (the 1st one I watched was the series finale) I continue to enjoy them.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Anjin

I am glad you are liking it. I ended up getting it on Netflix so I could watch it straight through.

I found it oddly addicting too. And I liked how they explained some things, like the Reed alert.

I thought reed could of become more prominent of a player. I liked his character.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

I thought reed could of become more prominent of a player. I liked his character.

I'm still not sure about Reed. I guess I need to stop comparing him to Worf

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Anjin

LOL who doesn't love Worf? Worf is awesome.But I think Reed was a decent character. I think it best to watch the show as if you never saw any other series.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Anjin

Just in case you didn't know this, wil wheaton runs a blog. It is pretty good, he is a good writer and writes about a bunch of stuff in case your interested.

wil wheaton typepad

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
So I feel the need to re visit this thread. I am knee deep in the entire Xindi affair and think the writing is top notch on this entire plot and sub plot line.

I am hooked and totally regret ignoring this show when it first aired.

I'm not even sure which season i'm on but I know I missed a bunch so I may stop recording it on the DVR and get the seasons on netflix so I can watch everything in order.

new topics

top topics

join