It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quotes, anyone?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I wasn't sure where else to put this. Mods, please move this if it's in the wrong board.

Quotes!

Funny, Wise, Religious, Cool, Inspirational.

I'll post some of my favorite quotes; please, post some of yours. (If I cite the wrong name for a quote, please notify me so I can look into it and edit where needed.)

"The worst moment for the atheist is when he is really thankful and has nobody to thank."
-Dante Rossetti

"What happens when we're dead? The irony is that all our questions wil be answered after we die. We spend our whole life trying to figure out the truth and the only way we'll find out what it is, is to get hit by a bus. And the only comfort that religion offers is that God is driving that bus."
-John Ryman, "When Galaxies Collide"

"Man is certainly stark mad. He cannot even make a worm, and yet he will be making gods by the dozens."
-Montaigne

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence."
-Bertrand Russell

"While travelling near Tampa, Florida I passed the "Jehovah's Witness Assembly Hall" and was struck by the fact that that must be where they make them."
-Gene Spafford

"Christ died for our sins. Dare we make his martyrdom meaningless by not committing them?"
-Jules Feiffer

"When the Gods want to punish us, they answer our prayers."
-Oscar Wilde

"Someday, after we have mastered the winds, the waves, the tides and gravity, we shall harness the energies of love. Then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire."
-Pierre Tielhard de Chardin

"You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obsticle instead of an opportunity."
-Unknown

"It is better to open your eyes and say you don't understand, than to close your eyes and say you don't believe."
-Unknown

"Very few beings really seek knowledge in this world. Mortal or immortal, few really ask. On the contrary, they try to wring from the unknown answers they have already shaped in their own minds -- justifications, confirmations, forms of consolation without which they can't go on. To really ask is to open the door to the whirlwind. The answer may annihilate the question and the quiestioner."
-"Interview With a Vampire"

"The aim of education should be to teach us rather how to think, than what to think - rather to improve our minds, so as to enable us to think for ourselves, than to load the memory with the thoughts of other men."
-Bill Beattie

"The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just."
-Abraham Lincoln

"The world needs men and women who cannot be bought; whose word is their bond; who put character above wealth; who possess opinions and a strong will; who are larger than their vocations; who do not hesitate to take risks; who will not lose their individuality in a crowd; who will be as honest in small affairs as in greater; who will make no compromise with wrong; whose ambitions are not confined to their own selfish desires; who will not say they do it "because everybody else does it"; who are true to their friends through good and bad, in adversity as well as in prosperity; who do not believe that shrewdness, cunning, and hardheadedness are the best qualities for winning success; who are not ashamed or afraid to stand for the truth when it is unpopular; who can say 'no' with emphasis, although all the rest of the world says 'yes'."
-Unknown

"Freedom is supremely valuable for without freedom human beings cannot be fully human. It is our duty therefore to do whatever we can to resist the forces that now menace freedom."
-Aldous Huxley

"Occasionally, there may come a dreamer who is aware that he is dreaming. He may control something of the dream-stuff, bending it to his will, or he may awaken into greater self-knowledge. If he chooses the path of self-knowledge, his glory is great and he shall be for all ages like unto a star. If he chooses instead the way of the Tantras, combining Samsara and Nirvana, comprehending the world and continuing to live in it, this one is mighty among dreamers."
-Roger Zelazny

"Judge me by the depth of my question, not the length of the answer."
-Louis J. Bailey

"Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, handsome, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God within us. It is not just in some; it is in everyone. And, as we let our own light shine, we consciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
-Nelson Mandela

"When a child first catches adults out - when it first walks into his grave little head that adults do not have divine intelligence, that their judgements are not always wise, their thinking true, their sentences just - his world falls into panic desolution. The Gods are fallen and all safety gone. And there is one sure thing about the fall of Gods; they do not fall a little; they crash and shatter or sink deeply into green muck. It is a tedious job to build them up again; they never quite shine. And the child's world is never quite whole again. It is an aching kind of growing."
-John Steinbeck "East of Eden"

"A child is a person who is going to carry on what you have started. He is going to sit where you are sitting and, when you are gone, attend to those things which you think are important. You may adopt all the policies you please, but how they will be carried out depends on him. He will assume control of your cities, states and nations. He is going to move in and take over your churches, schools, universities and corporations. All your books are going to be judged, praised or condemned by him. The fate of humanity is in his hands. So it might be well to pay him some attention."
-Unknown

"To lead people, walk beside them."
-Lao Tsu

"A constantly swelling government is a sure sign of the moral sickness of the people under it. Government swells when and because the people shrink."
-Clarence Manion

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea never goes back to its original dimensions."
-Olivier Wendell Holmes

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
The Mandela quote...

Another good one, not sure by who.

"You don't get what you deserve or what you want. You only get what you are willing to settle with or fight for."

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

Googled it for a while, couldn't find who said it. I like it.

"To be nobody but yourself, in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."
-E.E. Cummings

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Dont know who said this one but it was really funny

Everytime you masturbate, god kills a kitten

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Dont know who said this one but it was really funny

Everytime you masturbate, god kills a kitten

Good I abandoned sexuality - no more kitten shall die through my hand.

I just have one to add right now:

One cannot learn the truth when one has already decided what the truth is.
Author unknown, someone's forum tagline

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Nietzsche-God is dead.

God-Nietzsche is dead

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by CleverNameHere

Ah one of my favorite quotes. Ive had that on my myspace for a year so far. Everyone seems to like it.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   
"Are there really people without resentment, without hate? People who never go cross-grained to the universe? Who recognize evil, and resist evil, and yet are utterly unaffected by it?

Of course there are. Countless, the living and the dead. Those who have returned in pure compassion to the wheel, those who follow the way that cannot be followed without knowing they follow it, the sharecropper's wife in Alabama and the lama in Tibet and the entomologist in Peru and the millworker in Odessa and the greengrocer in London and the goatherd in Nigeria and the old, old man sharpening a stick by a dry streambed somewhere in Australia, and all the others. There is no one of use who has not known them. There are enough of them, enough to keep us going. Perhaps."

--- Ursula LeGuin, The Lathe of Heaven

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I like your thread !

Here are two more quotes to focus some thoughts on.

"When science is questioned, the authority of the masses does not rise above the humble reasoning of a single individual."
# Galileo Galilei

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts"
# Richard Feynman

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Love the Nelson Mandela quote you posted, thanks for sharing!

Im a fan of quotes so I'm gonna post a few

As we grow up, we learn that even the one person that wasn't supposed to ever let us down, probably will. You'll have your heart broken and you'll break others' hearts. You'll fight with your best friend or maybe even fall in love with them, and you'll cry because time is flying by. So take too many pictures, laugh too much, forgive freely, and love like you've never been hurt. Life comes with no guarantees, no time outs, no second chances. you just have to live life to the fullest, tell someone what they mean to you and tell someone off, speak out, dance in the pouring rain, hold someone's hand, comfort a friend, fall asleep watching the sun come up, stay up late, be a flirt, and smile until your face hurts. Don't be afraid to take chances or fall in love and most of all, live in the moment because every second you spend angry or upset is a second of happiness you can never get back.
Unknown

“No matter where you are in life right now, no matter who you are, no matter how old you are – it is never too late to be who you are meant to be.” – Esther & Jerry Hicks

“History shows us that the people who end up changing the world – the great political, social, scientific, technological, artistic, even sports revolutionaries – are always nuts, until they are right, and then they are geniuses.” – John Eliot

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Paulite

I like the one in your signature better.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
"Essay on the Manner of Writing History for the People," said
(CH you desire to mold the opinion of the masses, to rescue them from the
immoral doctrine of success, do what has never been done before-GIVE
A CONSCIENCE TO HISTORY . By treating your theme in this spirit,
you will win less popularity ;* you will not fire the passions** or the imaginations
of the people, but you will render a thousand times better service to
their cause, their interests and their reason . Teach them by facts, by events,
by the hidden meaning of those great historic dramas (of which we perceive
only the scenery and the actors, while their plots are contrived by a HIDDEN
HAND) to know, to judge, and to moderate themselves . Make them capable
of distinguishing those, who serve them from those, who mislead them, those
who dazzle from those who enlighten them . Point to every great man and
great event, and say ; Weigh them for yourselves, not with the false weights
of your transient passions, your prejudices, your anger, your national vanity,
your narrow patriotism, but by the Universal Conscience of the human race,
and by the utility of each act for the cause of civilization

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
"It's like Deja Vus, all over again..." - Yogi Beara (sp?)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
In the absence of that which I am not... That which I am... Is not.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
“Sometimes you will look around you and say to yourself, ‘I don’t fit in, I’m different to everyone.’ To know this is to learn one of the greatest lessons in life: human beings all do exactly the same things completely different from each other. All of these millions of souls, all in different stages of evolution… how could we ever be the same? We just go to the same school!” - Ginger.

One of many from here: www.thewildhearts.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Great stuff here. This is pretty long, lyrics from Billy Joel's The Angry Young Man, pretty much says all there is to say about righteous folks.

"Theres a place in the world for the angry young man
With his working class ties and his radical plans
He refuses to bend, he refuses to crawl,
Hes always at home with his back to the wall.
And hes proud of his scars and the battles hes lost,
And he struggles and bleeds as he hangs on the cross-
And he likes to be known as the angry young man."

Saddest part is I'm the angry young girl.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Confucius say: Man with head up ass, can't see for #.

Confucius say: Man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Confucius say: Passionate kiss like spider's web soon lead to undoing of fly.

Confucius say: Men who put cream in tart, not always a baker.

Confucius say: Man piss in wind, wind piss back.

Confucius say: Boy fool with girl in wrong period get caught red handed.

Confucius say: He who pull out too fast leave rubber behind.

Aum....

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Confucius say: He who pull out too fast leave rubber behind.

The best quote by far. Lol...

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Interesting thread, it is a pity I did not come across it in its hay-day.

Ill tell you something I have come to learn from my own experience in this life...

"It is far easier to manipulate the intelligent than it is to manipulate an idiot, yet an idiot can be told what to do quite easily."

new topics

top topics

join