It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mosque gun battle rages in Gaza

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

At least six people have been killed and dozens injured in a fierce gun battle in Gaza, emergency services say.
Eyewitnesses say hundreds of Hamas fighters and policemen surrounded then raided a mosque where followers of a radical Islamist cleric were holed up.
They had fired rocket-propelled grenades at the mosque in Rafah, near the Egyptian border, witnesses say.
It is thought that at least 100 supporters of the al-Qaeda-linked group Warriors of God are inside.
Hamas said a grenade fired from the mosque killed one of its fighters. The other fatalities were reported to be gunmen, and a child was also killed.

Fighting pledge
Earlier, during Friday prayers, hundreds of worshippers at Ibn-Taymiyah mosque declared Gaza an "Islamic emirate".
The mosque's imam - Abdel-Latif Moussa - and armed supporters swore to fight to the death rather than hand over authority of the mosque to Hamas.
The Salafi Warriors of God, or Jund Ansar Allah, gained some prominence two months ago when it staged a failed attack on a border crossing between Gaza and Israel.
The group is very critical of Hamas, which governs Gaza, accusing the Islamist group of not being Islamist enough.
Hamas has cracked down on al-Qaeda-inspired groups in the past.
It is concerned they may attract more extremist members, and has forbidden anyone except what it describes as Hamas security personnel to carry weapons in Gaza.

Hmmm not Islamic enough?!!! and muslims are fighting their own kind because they feel hamas aren't violent enough towards Israel. Is this also the fault of Israel, will someone will try and put a spin on this and blame Israel for barbaric Islamic practices!

When they behave this way towards each other, then you can't blame Israel for wanting to prevent these kind of groups next door from arming!

Although it is good that Hamas seems to be trying to sort out Gaza rather than let the radicals start another war with Israel where the innocents suffer the most on both sides.

[edit on 14-8-2009 by john124]

[edit on 14-8-2009 by john124]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Wow, did you even read the story?

It says Hamas fighters and police are fighting Al CIAda.

This only proves that the people of Gaza are fighting against radical Islamic terrorism, which is what we want them to do right? It's what we do after all, and what your precious israel does too.

They don't seem to want it any more than we do.

After your hateful israeli propaganda and demeaning jokes towards Gazans, it's rather funny that you posted a story you didn't understand.

All you've proven that after israel has said over and over that Hamas = Al CIAda that they were wrong all along. Big surprise right?

If anything, all this story says is that the people of Gaza and even Hamas are leaps and bounds above "terrorists".

This is the kind of real story that needs to come out in the MSM more often.

Great find, star and flag

[edit on 14-8-2009 by breakingdradles]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by breakingdradles

This only proves that the people of Gaza are fighting against radical Islamic terrorism, which is what we want them to do right? It's what we do after all, and what your precious israel does too.

They don't seem to want it any more than we do.

After your hateful israeli propaganda and demeaning jokes towards Gazans, it's rather funny that you posted a story you didn't understand.

All you've proven that after israel has said over and over that Hamas = Al CIAda that they were wrong all along. Big surprise right?

If anything, all this story says is that the people of Gaza and even Hamas are leaps and bounds above "terrorists".

This is the kind of real story that needs to come out in the MSM more often.

Great find, star and flag

Yea the Al-qaeda group said Hamas aren't Islamic enough, so they fight each other over that issue. Of course it's good that Hamas want to start sorting out their problems themselves for the sake of Gazans. I was just pointing out that Israel aren't the bad guys like many see them, and the Muslims can fight with each other just as easily.

I was being sarcastic when I was wondering if people would blame this on Israel, as I know they cannot. But many like to blame Jews for everything. Anyway Israel is not my country, but I feel they often get treated harshly on ats.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by john124

Actually israel is their enemy too.

Why would these people strap bombs to themselves just to get back at israel?

Why would they make home made rockets with small grenades, of which they have launched thousands into israel and only killed 21 people over 7 years.

Israel has wronged these people for generations.

They got kicked out by the Romans and are taking it out on the Arabs.

Israel is not innocent, that is freakin funny!

The people of Gaza get it on both fronts, Radical Islam and Radical israel.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

reply to post by john124

Actually israel is their enemy too.

Why would these people strap bombs to themselves just to get back at israel?

Why would they make home made rockets with small grenades, of which they have launched thousands into israel and only killed 21 people over 7 years.

Israel has wronged these people for generations.

They got kicked out by the Romans and are taking it out on the Arabs.

Israel is not innocent, that is freakin funny!

The people of Gaza get it on both fronts, Radical Islam and Radical israel.

Well... they may think Israel is to blame for more than they actually are. I know Israel aren't innocent, even the BBC showed videos of Israeli soldiers abducting palestinian children for throwing rocks and interrogating them.

Anyway it's good to see hamas standing up to the radicals islamics, because after all most people are just like us and want a normal and decent life.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Contrary to popular Western belief, the strongest force in the Islamic nations is towards believing that they aren't extreme ENOUGH not that they need to be more moderate.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
Contrary to popular Western belief, the strongest force in the Islamic nations is towards believing that they aren't extreme ENOUGH not that they need to be more moderate.

Sources please.

2nd

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
In all democratic Muslim nations, "moderate" doesn't mean politically moderate. It means "friendly to the West" and radical means "not friendly to the West." It doesn't mean anything like what we use moderate to mean when discussing politics. It is solely a descriptor dealing with foreign relations.

The politically extreme political groups, with social and economic mores that are far from center Globlally, garner in total more the 70% of the vote.

Let's put this into perspective for you. Ahmadinejad of Iran is less socially conservative than many of his opponents. Most of them. He is economically slightly left of center. He is essentially centrist.

[edit on 2009/8/15 by Aeons]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Sources please.

2nd

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   

In all democratic Muslim nations, "moderate" doesn't mean politically moderate. It means "friendly to the West" and radical means "not friendly to the West." It doesn't mean anything like what we use moderate to mean when discussing politics. It is solely a descriptor dealing with foreign relations.

The politically extreme political groups, with social and economic mores that are far from center Globlally, garner in total more the 70% of the vote.

Let's put this into perspective for you. Ahmadinejad of Iran is less socially conservative than many of his opponents. Most of them. He is economically slightly left of center. He is essentially centrist.

Sources please.

2nd line.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
"Hamas Crushes Challenge By Al Qaida-Inspired Rival" link

At least 24 people were killed in clashes with the shadowy group, which posed one of the biggest challenges to Hamas since the militant group seized power in Gaza two years ago.

The fighting broke out Friday when Hamas security men surrounded a mosque in the southern Gaza town of Rafah on the Egyptian border where about 100 members of Jund Ansar Allah, or the Soldiers of the Companions of God, were holed up.

Jund Ansar Allah claims inspiration from al-Qaida's ultraconservative brand of Islam but no direct links have been confirmed.

These groups are also upset that the Hamas regime has honored a cease-fire with Israel for the past seven months.

This is interesting for a couple of reasons imho.

first it shows that there is infighting in the gaza area for control.

second it shows that hamas is working to prevent militants from seizing power as well as from launching attacks on israel.

this underscores the, sadly somewhat truthful, assertion that hamas is an extremist organization that will only lead gaza towards more conflict with israel.

instead we see hamas attempting to stymie extremism and honoring, for seven months, a cease fire with israel.

all in all good sings imho.

not al quida, just an al quida inspired group.

[edit on 15-8-2009 by Animal]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I heard the BBC 2 radio news describe these as the actions of Hamas "police and security forces" - give me a break.

This has nothing to do with Hamas sorting out extremist groups in Gaza for the benefit of Gazans, and they're certainly not fighting "Al Qaeda" on our behalf. It's just BBC spin, and it's garbage.

This is about Hamas violently snuffing out dissent, which is what they're good at. They did it to Fattah in 2006, and they'll do it to any other groups that threaten their monopoly on power.

In Gaza, bullets > ballot boxes.

Whatever spin the sympathisers puts on it, this is nothing but violent totalitarianism.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by john124
Well... they may think Israel is to blame for more than they actually are. I know Israel aren't innocent, even the BBC showed videos of Israeli soldiers abducting palestinian children for throwing rocks and interrogating them.

Yeah, but I bet those kids don't throw rocks (or petrol bombs) again.

I wouldn't mind my government giving this policy a try on some of the ASBO kids near me tbh

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
The Golden Rule of the Geneva Conventions when it comes to dealing with people firing stuff at you.

Shoot when shot at.

Send a rocket into Israel, expect to get one back. Antagonize Israelis, expect to get antagonized. Really it is all an eye for an eye, a predominantly Arab theme.

Such a shame that a cry for independence from a failed extremist state like the Palestinian Authority was crushed by the Islamofascists of Hamas.

[edit on 25-8-2009 by Dnevnoi]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattpryor

Originally posted by john124

Yeah, but I bet those kids don't throw rocks (or petrol bombs) again.

I wouldn't mind my government giving this policy a try on some of the ASBO kids near me tbh

So when the israeli kids throw rocks, the Hamas police get to do the same thing you would like the IDF to do to Arab kids right?

Or do the same standards not apply? If so, why?

Since we already know what you would like done to Arab kids who throw rocks, ie get beat up by israeli police and kidnapped, I assume these children throwing rocks should get beat up and kidnapped by Hamas police right?

Or maybe Americans, as it seems they like stoning Human Rights workers as IDF soldiers condone the kids actions and let the women get pelted by rocks while telling them to go to "England?", as shown in these videos.

[edit on 25-8-2009 by breakingdradles]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I vaguely recall an Al Qaeda cell being busted by Hamas a few years ago and it turned out to be a Shin Bet operation. There have been a number of these false flag operations.

Last update - 00:00 15/12/2002
Ibrahim, the Shin Bet wants you to join Qaida
By Danny Rubinstein
PA unveils Israeli intelligence scheme, denies Gaza links to bin Laden

Early last week, Rashi Abu Sba, head of the preventive security apparatus in Gaza, the equivalent of the Shin Bet, accused the Israeli security service of tricking young Palestinians into conducting missions in the name of Al-Qaida. Last Tuesday, a young man named Ibrahim was presented to reporters in Gaza. Ibrahim hid his face behind a mask, and told what happened to him.

He said that a year ago he sent in a personal, with his photo and phone number, to East Jerusalem's Posta, a cultural-entertainment weekly with a personals section. Three months later, the Gazan received a phone call from an older man, who introduced himself as a merchant named Ahmed, who told Ibrahim that his photo reminded him of his son. They spoke on the phone a number of times, with Ahmed asking Ibrahim about the situation - and if he was a devout Muslim.

www.haaretz.com...

I think by now Israeli credibility is exhausted and most security agencies don't buy an iota of Israeli disclosures; so I think Israel conducts these acts of mayhem as sport and to torture the Palestinian people.

top topics

join