It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you really think your vote counts?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by xyankee
reply to post by Feltrick

So what your saying is a candidate could say what ever he wants to get into office, and then do as he wants once there for the length of his term? Even if it is in complete contradiction of what his platform was? I don’t think that could be right! Do you realize the devastation one could do in that time?

I'm not saying a candidate could, I'm saying candidates do say whatever will get them elected. But, that's a representative style of government. We must hold our elected officials accountable for every policy, every law, every vote that is contrary to the masses. We can't just listen to the 5 second sound bites when making our decisions before going into the voting both, but look at the complete person and make an informed decision.

Everyone, since when did we start living in a democracy? We live in a Republic (i.e. ...And to the Republic for which it stands). That is our form of government...it is a form of democracy in which we are able to vote for a representative, but that representative is under NO OBLIGATION to enact laws/policy agreeable to his/her constituents.

As I have stated in other posts/threads, the founding fathers did not want the rabble ruling this nation (i.e. PALIN) so they created the electoral college. That college picks the President, not the voters. The voters give input, but it is up to the electoral college to ultimately decide who will lead this country. Thus far, I do not know of an instance where the EC stepped in, but it could happen.

There is no RIGHT in politics, only politics.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I listen, or in this case read, to people complaining that their vote "doesn't count", or "doesn't make a difference", or whatever the excuse of the day is...

To this I must ask this question, which I find pertinant to the issue.

Who's fault is that?

So you voted so and so into office, thinking he or she is going to be the greatest thing since the printing press was invented...

Yet, loe and behold, he or she begins, as is all too often the case, to go off on his or her own merry way, having fallen in love with the perks of the office, or the gifts of outside influences.

He or she might not have done that if you, and I, were doing our duties as citizens. What's that duty, you ask? Glad you asked...

Oversight. That means watching our congress critter and president critter with a gimlet eye. Ready, willing, and able to take him or her to task the instant he or she strays from his or her appointed task.

An analogy might be this: You don't let the plowhorse go where he pleases. So to must you, and you alone, guide the critter you just put into office.

We are the critters voice. We are the puppet master. They dance to our tune, not otherwise.

At least that's the way it's supposed to work.

If we aren't willing to do the dirty work of watching the plowhorse, why, oh why, are you surprised when the critter goes his own way?

Think about that, if you will.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Well said, Seagull! Seems like a lot of folks on this board just don't understand the process or that they are required to hold these officials accountable for every action. Appreciate the assist!

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Ok, first of all I think that we should just have a str8 vote no EC. I do agree with the statement you made in regard to the plow horse. The question I have is how would ONE go about holding them accountable when we can’t even dare ask for credentials?

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by xyankee

Other than not voting for them, there really is no way to hold them accountable for the way they decide to vote on each issue. I mean, what are you going to do, sue them for breach of contract? You could try, an oral agreement, with witnesses, is as good as a written contract. I don't know if a court would hold an elected official to statements made on the campaign trail and not sure anyone wants to spend the money on a court case.

Look at Rand Paul, he gets elected with the promise that he's against EarMarks. Then he states that, he's not going to deny the citizens of KY EarMark monies and then backtracks on that statement when he's called to the carpet. Hmmm, maybe calling them out on their lies, publicly, is the best plan of attack?

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   

I think what Rand was saying is that he does not agree with earmarks, but if that is the way the system is going to work, then he does not want his people to not get their fair share. But if it came to a vote of yes or no on earmarks, he would vote against them.

How come people don’t push to pass laws that make politicians responsible then. If congress won’t hold them accountable we should make laws that will.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by xyankee

So, Rand's statement is, if they do it, then I'm going to do it. That's not really in keeping with his promise to vote against all Ear Marks. In fact, it's quite the opposite but he was elected by the citizens of KY to do what is in their best interests. If that means going back on a promise, well, so be it because that's how it works. Will anyone hold him accountable...no. Why? Because at the end of the day, he is doing what he feels is best for his constituents.

As for the second part...Why don't we have laws that hold politicians accountable? No politician is going to push that through into law. Just ain't going to happen, nice thought but no one in Congress would even consider such a law.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   

But you just said we should tell them what to do and if they don’t do it then vote them out! Lets put some laws together and tell them this is what we want, if they don’t do it then we will vote you out!

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by xyankee

You can't just, "put some laws together." It just doesn't work that way. First you have to elect a representative that will create the law. Unfortunately, a new Congressman can't do jack. They're pretty much told to sit down, observe and speak when told to. So, how do you propose to get these laws passed?

Besides, no one in Congress would create a law that would hold them accountable. So, you vote that person out, the next guy won't or can't do it, so you vote someone else in. Through out this process your vote is counted because you were able to get your guy (or gal) into office. Unfortunately, they don't always do what you want them to do.

Yippee, the process works...Welcome to America!

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
My answer to this question would be YES and NO.

YES in the way that they will count them, but NO in that if it is not what they want it will not be what happens. The thing with the argument of if enough people voted one way it would be hard to cover up, is that I do not see a time soon that there will be such an overwhelming vote one way that could not be covered up. The thing with the democratic and republican parties to me is that they both work behind the scenes for the same goals and the only purpose of the parties is to confuse and divide the country. And they are successful in doing this, so I do not see a 75%+ one way, unless that is what they want. This way the country will not be able to unite as one, which is what this country truly needs, in my opinion. Hopefully I am wrong though.....

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

You can't just, "put some laws together." It just doesn't work that way. First you have to elect a representative that will create the law. Unfortunately, a new Congressman can't do jack. They're pretty much told to sit down, observe and speak when told to. So, how do you propose to get these laws passed?

I am sorry if I got you all riled up. I think I made my point though, yes your vote counts as a number, but I don’t think your vote is effective in achieving what it is meant to do.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by xyankee

I'm hardly riled up. I figure when this board starts to get me riled up, then it's time to go elsewhere.

I do see your point that your vote doesn't necessarily get what you voted for, but it does count in getting the person you want elected. I think we've exhausted this thread to the point where we are just arguing the same information over and over. Great chatting with you!

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Yes your right, and thank you for the chat.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join