It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama holds town hall meeting, but you probably will not be allowed to attend!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Obama is scheduled to visit Portsmouth, NH today for a 'health care town hall meeting'.

Good news. Maybe those not with his program can have an opportunity to have their voices heard.

Problem is, unless you are one of the 1,800 INVITED and TICKETED special people, you won't be able to get in the room, or even onto the road leading to the "meeting".

Sounds like he doesn't want to hear anyone who opposes him.

PORTSMOUTH – If you want to see the President talk about health-care reform at Portsmouth High School today but weren't one of the 1,800 people selected by the White House: good luck.

And, if you had plans to drive through the city tomorrow: think again.
:
:
Police said only ticketed guests will be allowed onto Andrew Jarvis Drive, the road leading into the school. Sidewalks along Lafayette Drive will be the best spot to see the President's motorcade ride into town, according to Portsmouth police Sgt. Mark Newport.

www.unionleader.com...

What a coward.:shk:

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   
You realise this isn't a Fox mesageboard? ATS aspires to be a bit better than just a mudslinging site, so it's a shame when we get threads started like this.

If the President of the United States holds a town hall meeting, how many people are going to attempt to attend?

What do you do? Run a first come, first served scheme? Then what do you do with the thousands still stood outside? Unfortunately, the President of the United States has to be protected against the unexpected and uncontrollable.

So what's been done. They ticketed it and stopped the extra people getting close enough to cause a problem.

Where is the issue here? You call him a coward because the event is pre-planned? Talk about pathetic.

If there's any talking point here, it is who are these ticketed people? Your own link says:

They included Democrats, Republicans and Independents. Most said they had never given money to the Obama campaign.

So unless you have information that contradicts this, where's the ATS story? Could you not just discuss what you see as the issue without resorting to name calling that causes little but further mudslinging?

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Woland

Originally posted by Woland
You realise this isn't a Fox mesageboard? ATS aspires to be a bit better than just a mudslinging site, so it's a shame when we get threads started like this.

If the President of the United States holds a town hall meeting, how many people are going to attempt to attend?

What do you do? Run a first come, first served scheme? Then what do you do with the thousands still stood outside?

What will he do with the thousands that *will* stand outside, far away, unheard?

It is by invitation only. Obama is a coward, else he would open it to first come, first served, or a lottery.

He CHOSE the attendees, so the fact that D, R, and I's were included means nada. Zip. Zero.

One characteristic that has emerged about this guy is that he is extremely thin-skinned, insecure, and does not take any criticism maturely. He has railed on about private citizens that oppose him, which is an insecure reaction, unheard of from any previous POTUS.

This of course is a result of his extreme lack of experience as anything but a community agitator.

You realize that ATS is not an MSNBC sounding board, don't you?

[edit on 11-8-2009 by jsobecky]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

What will he do with the thousands that *will* stand outside, far away, unheard?

Watch on television, listen to a radio? This is crowd managment and I suspect that it is a legal requirement at any pre-planned event to have a capcity and regulate it. To not do this would be negligent particularly given the rather impassioned town hall meetings, recently.

It is by invitation only. Obama is a coward, else he would open it to first come, first served, or a lottery.

People applied for this on the White House website. To suggest that way this is being done is any different to every other large scale political event is foolish. It's stage managed to do two things:

1, Make sure the politician can get his point across, as that will make the politician look good. 2, Make sure that agitation by political rivals doesn't turn this in to slanging match. As that will make the politician look bad.

This isn't great, but it's they way it happens. It does at least allow for the politician to get his point across. To single Obama out as being cowardly for doing this is little more than flinging mud.

I attacked your statement of calling Obama a coward for doing something that every other politician does. From your comment, I'll take it you think MSNBC has superior and more rational debate.

You've taken exception to this because you don't support Obama and that is hypocricy. I'm merely pointing this out and it has nothing to do with political beliefs. Leave the personal attacks out, it makes for intelligent discourse.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Woland

Watch on television, listen to a radio? This is crowd managment and I suspect that it is a legal requirement at any pre-planned event to have a capcity and regulate it. To not do this would be negligent particularly given the rather impassioned town hall meetings, recently.

So then, this makes your concern

What do you do? Run a first come, first served scheme? Then what do you do with the thousands still stood outside?

baseless, and doesn't answer the question as to why he needed to hand pick his audience.

People applied for this on the White House website.

You can "apply" all you want. The fact is, many tickets were doled out by local congressional offices. The rest of the "applicants" were screened.

To suggest that way this is being done is any different to every other large scale political event is foolish. It's stage managed to do two things:

1, Make sure the politician can get his point across, as that will make the politician look good. 2, Make sure that agitation by political rivals doesn't turn this in to slanging match. As that will make the politician look bad.

This isn't great, but it's they way it happens. It does at least allow for the politician to get his point across. To single Obama out as being cowardly for doing this is little more than flinging mud.

God forbid that the politicians be made to look bad!
And Obama flings more mud than any politician I have seen. He attacks private citizens that do not agree with him. Very unprofessional.

I attacked your statement of calling Obama a coward for doing something that every other politician does. From your comment, I'll take it you think MSNBC has superior and more rational debate.

No, MSNBC is a screaming shill for Obama. My comment was in response to your backhanded opening insult that you used to try to deflect the discussion and to color me in a certain light:

You realise this isn't a Fox mesageboard?

Please keep the rhetoric out of the discussion.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
You mean to tell me that the former community organizer organized a town hall meeting with only his supporters?

That is unbelievable!

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

No, MSNBC is a screaming shill for Obama. My comment was in response to your backhanded opening insult that you used to try to deflect the discussion and to color me in a certain light:

Let's get this bit out of the way first. If you were attacking John McCain, I'd have probably said 'This isn't a MSNBC forum'. Your name-calling is a rhetoric of a number of Fox commentators on Obama. It deserves to stay out of serious discussion. When you catch me doing this, tell me and I'll hold my hands up. Name-calling is pathetic when it stems from dislike.

You can "apply" all you want. The fact is, many tickets were doled out by local congressional offices. The rest of the "applicants" were screened.

Not on your link. If you could show this, we'd all have something to discuss.

God forbid that the politicians be made to look bad!

Absolutely, but stage management has always been a part of politics. Your attack is hypocritical because it's only important because you disagree with Obama. Again, if you had said this about GWB, I'd have pulled you up on it to.

and doesn't answer the question as to why he needed to hand pick his audience.

Let's just do it your way for a moment. Thirty thousand people turn up and all want to get in. 1,800 get in and the rest are turned away. They wait outside happy to be there and watch it on portable TVs. Perfect and wonderful world.

Happens the same in shops at Christmas when there's one toy left on the shelf that everyone wants. 'No, you have.' 'No, honestly, I don't even want it'.

Big sale at a famous clothes shop. Opens at 8am; limited stock. Never any problems are there?

It makes sense to pre-ticket an event that is likely to have many more people attending than spaces, particularly when there's such contentious issues being involved and recent examples of disorder at a smaller, but similar, event.

This isn't an advanced screening of a movie. There would have been people who wanted to disrupt, those that just wanted to cheerlead, people wanting to be convinced and those that wanted to raise objections. People that agree and disagree. What problem is there in making sure that there are a range of opinions and not just a bi-partisan slanging match?

Your link says that they 'included Democrats, Republicans and Independents'. Now you may believe that it's going to be slanted in favour of Obama, possibly it will be, but you've nothing to substantiate this.

Watch the meeting, then come back on here and rip his answers to bits and tell us who's opinion was missing and which were the shills. Until then, your thread said nothing but call Obama a name.

[edit on 11-8-2009 by Woland]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I watched a portion of this on TV today and now all of the rousing cheers, chants and applause make perfect sense. The structured tone of this meeting was completely opposite of the other meetings that have been held in various locations across the country.

Just another audience seeding operation by the great sower himself.

For some reason my invitation never arrived.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I watched his so called "Town Hall"..It was like a script of all his previous attempts to sway everyone into thinking that they don't understand the Health Care Bill, and that they misunderstood...
Did you notice when the gentleman stood up(I believe he was the last question)and said that he has read and seen Obama when he was a Senator and before, express that he wanted a "Universal Health Care",...
Obama, dodged the question, got on his little band wagon, and went into his rederick..He reminds me of an old 45 record I have thats scratched, thats scratched, thats scratched...
Bottom line is that he and his followers believe "We the people" are complete morons, and we NEED them to help us through every aspect of our lives....

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by MissysWorld

Yes, I watched it also, and the audience was so obviously stacked that is was a disgusting scene to watch.

Not one very tough question was asked. Only 9 questions asked, one was 'given' to an adolescent girl.

And his obvious attempt to ridicule and switch the spotlight to Sarah Palin was so obvious, by frequently referring to 'death panels'

We certainly got to the bottom of the health care debate with this dog and pony show, eh?

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Yes, I watched it also, and the audience was so obviously stacked that is was a disgusting scene to watch.

Not one very tough question was asked. Only 9 questions asked, one was 'given' to an adolescent girl.

And his obvious attempt to ridicule and switch the spotlight to Sarah Palin was so obvious, by frequently referring to 'death panels'

We certainly got to the bottom of the health care debate with this dog and pony show, eh?

I totally agree with your post Jsobecky...
He gave no answers to serious questions...
That is exactly why so many, be they Democrate or Republican, are acually READING the bill for themselves, and finding things that are very questionable. Maybe if Obama would read the bill himself, he could be more informative, instead of sounding like a scratched record, a scratched record, on a campaign trail...

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   

One person asked Obama about the great health care given to members of Congress, as compared to what the ordinary people will be offered.

Obama danced around the question, saying that we will be given 'choices' for our insurance.

But we will not be able to choose the Congressional plan.

And he totally sidestepped the fact that Congress will be exempted from having to participate in the plans we are fed. Apparently, they are too 'special' to feed from the same trough.:shk:

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

One person asked Obama about the great health care given to members of Congress, as compared to what the ordinary people will be offered.

Obama danced around the question, saying that we will be given 'choices' for our insurance.

And he totally sidestepped the fact that Congress will be exempted from having to participate in the plans we are fed. Apparently, they are too 'special' to feed from the same trough.:shk:
The sad part is that he and those on the hill see nothing wrong with this. Truly an elitist attitude.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
A yet more troubling aspect to the possibility of rationing health care comes from Ezekiel Emanuel, medical advisor to Obama, and brother of WH Chief of Staff Rahm Emmanuel. He has some particularly cold ideas regarding who should receive health care:

This civic republican or deliberative democratic conception of the good provides both procedural and substantive insights for developing a just alloca- tion of health care resources. Procedurally, it suggests the need for public forums to deliberate about which health services should be considered basic and should be socially guaranteed. Substantively, it suggests services that promote the continuation of the polity-those that ensure healthy future genera- tions, ensure development of practical reasoning skills, and ensure full and active participation by citizens in public deliberations-are to be socially guaranteed as basic. Conversely, services provided to individuals who are irreversibly prevented from being or becoming participating citizens are not basic and should not be guaranteed. An obvious example is not guaranteeing health services to patients with dementia. A less obvious example Is is guaranteeing neuropsychological services to ensure children with learning disabilities can read and learn to reason.

wizbangblog.com...

Emphasis added.

And get a load of how he thinks physicians should view their duty to their patients:

" Doctors take the Hippocratic Oath too seriously"

“Allocation by age is not. . .discrimination.”

This is from one of the senior medical advisors to Obama. This is who he listens to for advice. Just as his associations with the Rev. Jeremiah Wright and Wm. Ayers, this is who forms his attitudes and beliefs.

Well, this is troubling. The old adage comes to mind: If you lay down with dogs, you're bound to get fleas (no offense intended to dog lovers or those with doggie avatars.

And we are to believe Obama when he denies there will be rationing and life-affecting decisions made by the gov't?

Some of you may. I won't believe him.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Excellent point! There will be no choice if my insurance carrier goes belly up because they can't compete with the government juggernaut. The choices will be limited to white or wheat toast. I personally prefer sourdough.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Well, well well....
Seems the adolesent girl, Julia Hall, from Malden MA, has a Mother who is well known to the Democratic Party...

Julia read the following question off a piece of paper: "As I was walking in I saw a lot of signs outside saying mean things about reforming healthcare. How do kids know what is true and why do people want a new system that can help more of us".

This randomly asked question gave Obama the perfect opportunity to dismiss talk about "death panels that will pull the plug on Grandma" and to blame Republicans for everything. Over on the town hall comments thread at AR15.com a user by the name of AtomicPunk09 discovered someone on facebook who might possibly be Julia's mother and had a photo of her with Obama:

Her Mother has Facebook, Video's and Pics taken with Obama, but really..it was not a "Stacked" crowd..

I could go on and on and check out every one of her Facebook frends but I think the point is clear - the cute question about "mean signs" was read from a pre-written note by the daughter of a Democrat political insider who is know to and has been photographed with President Obama.

Combine that with the first question being from a Democrat State Representative, then a couple of easy Medicare "give me more handouts" questions, then a few more pro-Obamacare questions, and by then end even Obama is begging for a question from someone opposed to his plan.

www.ar15.com...
BUSTED

[edit on 12-8-2009 by MissysWorld]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Julia Hall is Obama's Joe the Plumber. Sadly, the media won't flinch on this issue.

Ditto line #2

new topics

top topics

join