It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bug out bikes?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
dont know my friend maybe because of his last post of thread contact a mod ?

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
A military buddy of mine built this beauty off an instructable while in Iraq:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5253ac6f730e.jpg[/atsimg]

Since then he has improved on the design by routing the chain through a plastic tube instead of a bunch of deraileurs.
Took alot of tension off it.

If I needed to bug out, I'd do it with this design.
Call it the stretch-limo-pickup bike. (did you see the huge rack on that one??!)

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
For long days in the saddle, skip the mountain bikes and go with an Electra Townie 7 flat foot cruiser or its clones with the best quality tire, tubes and wheels you can afford. Don't skip on spokes or axles either. Even my lard but can ride 30 miles per day cross country by following some simple biking rules.

Don't ride for more than an hour without resting. Even getting off for five minutes will help. Don't pedal up hill until you can't pedal anymore. Dismount and walk when you slow down to a fast walk and rest when you get to the top of the hill if it's especially steep. 5 minutes is usually enough to catch your breath. I'm not in great shape but I recently rode 60 miles over the road without killing myself on a bike camping trip.

If speed is what you need, add a legal bike engine and use it sparingly to help you on the hills. I've got a motorized bike and can often beat traffic in town during rush hour by avoiding the traffic lights and passing the long line of cars waiting for the light which is perfectly legal in my state. Irks the people in the cars something fierce.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

One thing to consider with BOB, is that although they are easy to fix. The parts that are needed to fix them might not be so easy to obtain. Many of the components for a bike are manufactured outside of the US. Most importantly are bicycle inner tubes.

The majority of bike inner tubes are manufactured and supplied from overseas companies. The tire and inner tube are by far the weak link in a bicycle and the hardest to reproduce from alternate parts. You could probably come up with some make shift parts to replace most things on a bike except the tube.

So with that in mind, if you intend on having a BOB, you might want to stock up on bicycle tubes and repair kits. Also make sure that you have an allen wrench handy as well. Very hard to fix a bike without one.

Regards

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join