It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parasites May Have Had Role In Evolution Of Sex

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Parasites May Have Had Role In Evolution Of Sex

www.sciencedaily.com

One hypothesis is that parasites keep asexual organisms from getting too plentiful. When an asexual creature reproduces, it makes clones—exact genetic copies of itself. Since each clone has the same genes, each has the same genetic vulnerabilities to parasites. If a parasite emerges that can exploit those vulnerabilities, it can wipe out the whole population. On the other hand, sexual offspring are genetically unique, often with different parasite vulnerabilities.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   

So a parasite that can destroy some can't necessarily destroy all. That, in theory, should help sexual populations maintain stability, while asexual populations face extinction at the hands of parasites.

This is interesting. I've heard the debate on why sexual reproduction evolved for quite a while now, with no definitive answer. This explanation makes sense because it fits in with the 'survival of the fittest' part of the theory of evolution. I'm wondering if any of the scientifically inclined see any holes to poke in the theory. If so, please share, this is a fascinating subject.

TA

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-8-2009 by TheAssociate]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
interesting article...

there is a theory that goes as .. the mitochondria in our cells were parasitic in nature before they invaded and began a symbiotic relationship enhancing our metabolism.

-

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

I heard about that in a roundabout way through a video game called Parasite Eve. Not the most reliable source of scientific information, but it is an actual theory. Who says video games can't be educational?

TA

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
That is really cool The Associate. I have often wondered why it is not more advantageous for all living things to just reproduce asexually. It would seem to me that it would be easier to reproduce if you did not have to use a mating partner. Or even having both sets of sex organs on every member of the species so your chances to reproduce would be doubled. That is a cool link. It makes very good sense.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by TurkeyBurgers

That's what the big mystery has been for scientists all these years: asexual reproduction is much more efficient than sexual reproduction, and they couldn't figure out why we, as the dominant species, ended up reproducing in the less efficient manner. Thanks for the kudos, TurkeyBurgers, I thought it was interesting.

TA

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

That is very interesting and it makes perfect sense. So what if parasites disappear? :shk:

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

The Associate....I love your Avatar....Awesome

[edit on 1-8-2009 by letthereaderunderstand]

new topics

top topics

join