It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many thousand times will we have to explain how to utube embed before..

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
You guys just add a simple explanation in the description that comes up when you press the button?

Honestly, everyday I enter a thread to find an improperly embedded youtube video. What seems like hundreds of times, I have explained how to embed.

I don't understand why it's so hard to just add "Only insert everything after the '=' sign" to the popup. Is it really that complicated?

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by king9072

well some of us actually do that and for some strange reason only known to the Gods of the internet, it does not work.
But thanks for the input

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
yes, i've had it not work for me many times. not sure why.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Because it's not always what's after the = sign. Sometimes, like if you're viewing something in a playlist, or in other cases, there is extra coding after the YouTube video code.

That might be what's going on here. Sometimes you have to isolate the video number from inside the URL.

[edit on 7/30/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Sigh.

Let me clarify cause I know what you are trying to say.

Here's an example of a regular youtube link:

www.youtube.com...

Heres an example of an extended youtube link:

www.youtube.com...

The only information ever needed is after the = sign, and before the & sign. I know at first it's confusing, but it really isn't that confusing. And any further explanation that was added to the popup would no doubt (at very least) reduce the amount of times people need to be told.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

even doing the code after the = and before the & gave me this

PgFqzNoisG4 in the code used

the preview however shows no video whch does get confusing

[edit on 30-7-2009 by munkey66]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Sometimes during a copy/paste the user does not get the "-" sign before the first letter or number. For example say that the youtube code is -wt44h5h_q.......

A lot of times the -(minus) symbol gets overlooked because it is so small and can blend in with the "=" symbol in the youtube code.

That is what happens to me a lot, other than that I have no issues. Also keep in mind that some people do not post as much as others so they might not know the "simple" things that you, me, and others that post a lot may know.

[edit on 7/30/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Ok everyone has had valid points.

But can anyone disagree that adding a bit more info to the youtube popup button would at least decrease the amount of improperly embedded videos???

Don't get me wrong, my first few embeds didn't work. Then someone explained it to me, and I have never looked back. But it's so unnecessary to explain every single time.

Telling people to add only whats between = and & would eliminate 90% of the improperly embedded videos.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
A surefire method is if you want to see how something with the BB code works, find a post that does that little thing you wish to do and hit the "quote" button. Therein all answers are revealed.

Also, YouTube always has 11 characters for the ID?

[edit on 7/30/2009 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Ok I absolutely cannot embed videos. I have tried to no end and someone even U2U'd me and tried to explain the "After the =".

From what I understand what I am supposed to do with say this link ...

www.youtube.com...

When I go to that Webpage there is a link to the right that says

URL
EMBED

I am under the impression that I copy and paste the "Embed" link that is there.

There are like 15 = signs in that link!

Which equal sign is the right equal sign?

Or am I only supposed to copy the ten digit code in the URL at the top of the page after the hppt//www.youtubedotcom/watch?= Is this what I put the ten random letters and numbers after the equal or the actual embed code?

I is confused????

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TurkeyBurgers

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyBurgers
Ok I absolutely cannot embed videos. I have tried to no end and someone even U2U'd me and tried to explain the "After the =".

From what I understand what I am supposed to do with say this link ...

www.youtube...

When I go to that Webpage there is a link to the right that says

URL
EMBED

I am under the impression that I copy and paste the "Embed" link that is there.

There are like 15 = signs in that link!

Which equal sign is the right equal sign?

Or am I only supposed to copy the ten digit code in the URL at the top of the page after the hppt//www.youtubedotcom/watch?= Is this what I put the ten random letters and numbers after the equal or the actual embed code?

I is confused????

K i am going to remove everything up to .com

.com/watch?v=qgpM0XIxfh8

To embed that, all you need is everything after the = sign:

qgpM0XIxfh8

That's it.

Sometimes you'll see something like this:

.com/watch?v=qgpM0XIxfh8&relatedfdshafdsfudasuf9dasfjafsudf8-w90u89eu89fuwa8fduf8udsf89uaf89udasf89udasfawe89fuwafew89uaf89uwaef89uwdfuw\

Doesn't matter how long the rest of it is... all u look for is the = sign right after "watch?v"

Then, ignore everything at the & sign and after... so that huge, ugly link above... again shortens to:

qgpM0XIxfh8

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   

It's ok king, calm down buddy ...

We have loads of new member joining every day. I know it can be frustrating but a deep breath, then, quote their post and you can extract the link from the text.

For the others just hit the youtube button on top above the post box and enter all the characters from the url after = . If it's part of the playlist, enter the characters between the = and the &.

So you get this:

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Thia is what you need to put between the [y vid] [/yvid] brackets....

www.youtube.com...F-nLny67kPI

You can find this in the grey box in the upper right hand corner of the screen, it is in the "url" space.

Only place the underlined part in between the brackets, and make sure there are no spaces in between anything, unlike mine, which I did so it did not code.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   

You gotta copy what's after the = in address bar of the youtube vid.

In this case the address is www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgpM0XIxfh8

You need to copy qgpM0XIxfh8

Then come back to your ATS reply/new post page and click this button at the top:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/yvid.gif[/atsimg]

Then press ok.

Successful youtube vid embed.

[edit on 30/7/09 by Chadwickus]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Right at the moment I would like to tear some hair out. I have a whole thread full of black boxes because I couldn't get it right.

This just cannot be so. The world does not work this easy for me. Either that or I just stepped into a alternate dimension or some crap. I'm going to try another and see if this is right.

[edit on 7/30/2009 by TheLoony]

Well I'll be dipped in some, er, bad stuff. One question: Those links don't have the & sign. I just used the characters after the = sign. There must have been different numbers or something in the videos I have tried before. Either that or I'm just plain stupid and can't do simple tasks.

[edit on 7/30/2009 by TheLoony]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Testing

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Edit- You use the number from the URL, not the embed code from YouTube.

I just tried related and playlist URLs and both worked from after the first = sign. You don't include the = sign.

[edit on 7/30/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   

This maybe add to the confusion but it helps me.

When I embed a youtube vid and there are just numbers and letters after the v= eg v=qgpM0XIxfh8 I get problems. Like it won't show in the preview.

It sounds dumb, but I just add '&Feature=Related' on the end and I can see it, and it embeds fine.

On the odd occasion it doesn't work, I select a video from the related box and see what they have after it, and add that instead.

This may confuse some people more, but it gets around not seeing the vid in the preview.

For example v= jqe7yuUdKSY

Doesn't show in the preview but does embed.

But when I put jqe7yuUdKSY&Feature=Related into the embed youtube video box, not only does the video embed, but I can see it in the preview so I know it's there.

Sounds crazy I know but it works, try it.

[edit on 30-7-2009 by kiwifoot]

[edit on 30-7-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
You have GOT to be freaking kidding me! You mean to tell me all this time I have been trying to use the EMBED link that IS SUPPOSED TO FREAKING EMBED?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

WHY do they even have an EMBED FEATURE IF IT DOES NOT EMBED?!?!???!?!?

RRRRRAAAAAGGGGEEEEEE

NERD RRRAAAGGGEEE!!!!!

Well thanks for showing me how easy it is. I have been trying for a while now and just not getting it. Wow.

So easy even a caveman can do it

SZhys7Dg8YM

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join