It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amelia Earhart Mystery Solved? 'Investigation Junkies' to Launch New Expedition

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Amelia Earhart Mystery Solved? 'Investigation Junkies' to Launch New Expedition

abcnews.go.com

It has been 72 years since famed aviator Amelia Earhart and navigator Fred Noonan disappeared while attempting to fly around the world. But the mystery remains unsolved: Nobody knows exactly what happened to Earhart or her plane.

Now researchers at the International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery, or Tighar, say they are on the verge of recovering DNA evidence that would demonstrate Earhart had been stranded on Nikumaroro Island (formerly known as Gardner Island) before finally perishing there.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Like many i have always wondered just what happened to Amelia Earhart, hopefully this investigation will shed a little light upon this mystery. I'm still wondering just what these personal effect are that they are searching for dna though? and what happened to the bodies if there are still personal effects there?

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Good article, nice find. I've always wondered if it was her that had sent those distress messages for several days. It doesn't seem likely if her plane had landed in the water but there is some pretty strong evidence that it was her.

Didn't Major Ed Dames just announce on Coast to Coast AM that his team had figured out where her plane was and they were going to mount an expedition to recover the engine? I wonder if he is connected with this team at all.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Still left wondering why if she did crash on these islands both the pilots or wreckage wasn't found though? according to wiki the British were reputed to have been trying to colonise these islands around the time that she disapeered so why didn't they find anything?

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I was actually thinking about this the other day. Glad you made a thread on it. Will be following this

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

It says that the last personal effects that were found was makeup along with a compact mirror used by women. It appears that noth were contaminated in the evidence gathering stages. I am glad that they have a new evidence gathering protocol, hopefully that will stop any further contamination of possible clues with DNA. I would think that anything she touched or used may contain a trace of DNA on it. The way that the expedition team is talking, they act like they may already have a lead on DNA evidence! This is one of the great historical mysteries/disappearances that I myself have always wondered about. It would be great if they find conclusive evidence to finally bring the case to a close, and give the families involved some closure. I will be keeping an eye on this one.....S & F

top topics

join