It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grow your own Eyelashes and what Women do for Beauty

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Well I dont have a problem with makeup and all that sorts, but I think if your willing to risk your life for a precedure to get better breasts, thats an awfully stupid thing to risk your life for. Alot of these girls dont realize how many things that can go wrong with plastic surgery.

But im in no way saying someone is stupid because they want plastic surgery. I think if its something you really want, and you really think it will improve your self esteem, more power to you.

I just think they dont understand where self esteem comes from. It certainly doesnt come from how you look on the outside. In my opinion.

And that eyelash stuff, they even say you could possibly develope blindness. BLINDNESS! Ide rather use the mascara.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Jess_Undefined

I agree completely. Plus, if you're blind, you can't see how unnaturally pretty you are.

I remember a few years ago a 16 year old girl in Florida died from complications from breast implants. She was 16. Enough said.

I think self esteem is being comfortable with yourself and who you are. If you have to change who you are or how you look to boost your self esteem, that's counterproductive.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Thats just sad. That girl wasnt even done growing yet! Why in the world would a developing teenage girl feel the need to go under the knife at 16 years old.

Another thing they dont realize is, its a lifelong thing. Its not like you pay your 5,000 bucks and Vuala! All better. Most breast implants needs to be removed or changed in the matter of 10 years. And almost always have complications over the years. Your constantly putting money into them over the course of your life.

I dont know about these people but I can think of a hundred more better ways to spend my money.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

They can also develop infections and things, and occasionally can complicate nursing. I said earlier, as well, that most guys I've spoken to about it feel very negatively towards implants.

Man... 10,000 bucks. I could think of better ways to spend my money, too.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I agree! When I saw the commercial for this Latisse I was like wtf! I cant believe, well maybe I can, people fall for this crap and are so superficial. I work in a business where almost everyone I work with is "fake" in the looks department. I personally dont believe in any of it. I am all natural. I dont tan or even color my hair (except for unwanted grays at my age) other than that I dont get all this need to look like some super female.

I also cant stand what photoshop has done to magazines, its insane! No wonder women have such image issues. I also cant believe they actually believe the women in these magazines actually look like that in real life. I recently saw an article on photoshop and a celebrities new clothing ad and how much they photoshopped her. She looked ridiculous! Whatever happened to looking like yourself? I am not out to please anyone and fit in with the rest of the people when it comes to all this stuff. I have wrinkles and I love them, I wouldnt change them, they are a part of me! Nobody is perfect and IMO each persons little imperfections is what makes them unique. Why would I want to go around looking like everyone else? How boring!

S&F!

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13

I agree completely. Plus, if you're blind, you can't see how unnaturally pretty you are.

I remember a few years ago a 16 year old girl in Florida died from complications from breast implants. She was 16. Enough said.

I think self esteem is being comfortable with yourself and who you are. If you have to change who you are or how you look to boost your self esteem, that's counterproductive.

I remember hearing about that, I live in FL. I couldnt believe a 16 year was even allowed to get them. I went with a friend of mine to get hers and the doctor doesnt even like doing them on 20 year olds but that was his own personal opinion.

What a lot of these girls dont realize is the problems you WILL have later on down the road from breast implants. Believe me I know many girls in my line of work who have got them and later regretted it due to problems. Its not something you do once and then forget about. You are supposed to get check ups every few years and many times have them redone and new bags put in and that cost money, money most dont have every few years and most dont think its necessary. I had a good friend of mine get really sick form hers because she didnt do what was needed for the up keep. I would never in a million years get that done. I have even heard of girls getting breast implants as graduation presents and that really makes me sick.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
So I'm 5 days late to the thread, but I wanted to comment anyway.

If you look at Now_Then signature, he sums up pretty well why this will be popular.

Advertising in a nutshell.(courtesy of the good people at the Mitchell and Webb show)...
Women: You are leaking, ageing, hairy, overweight and everything hurts.... and your children’s clothes are filthy. No wonder men long for other less clammy women - for god's sake sort your selves out.
Men: Shave and get drunk – because you’re already brilliant....

As was already discussed, women are continually made to feel inferior by the media. This is just one more insecurity to create, then meet the demand for. How many females do you think will suddenly decide they need better eyelashes at all costs?

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
mblah- I totally agree with everything you've said. Breast implants as graduation gifts? That basically says "Look, you learned stuff, but you can't get by without these!" You know what I got for graduation? Money for tuition. And some extra for a new digital camera. Jeeze. I don't tan either, it causes cancer. Why willingly do something that causes cancer? That's my argument with smoking, too. I don't think I could work in a place like you do, with women walking around looking like that... the magazines... I bet they aren't even real models anymore. I bet they do the entire thing on a computer.

Celt- haha, I love his signature. It's a true story. I know when I see a commercial for new mascara, I have to buy it. It's a serious issue. But you're right. I never really even thought about my eyelashes until I saw signs for the stuff. And of course I'm here going "Really mine maybe aren't long/thick enough..."

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
My wife has not worn make up once since the day I met her (7 years ago.) Sometimes she asks if she should start wearing make up and I just laugh at her. If I did say yes, it would only be out of curiosity.

I see it as a mask - why would I want to look at a mask instead of the real person?

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Ok and now for a more positive twist on a medication for making eyelashes grow back in faster.

Many chemotherapy patients lose a lot of their body hair including eyebrows and eyelashes. It's bad enough they have to deal with the chemo, but their self esteem likely takes a hit when they look in the mirror, and while their hair may grow back, many times its not as great/good/full/etc. as before chemo.

For some products like this are likely to be a godsend, letting them get back to 'normal' or closer to it anyways.

So many negative Nacy's out there only look at the potential harm of a product and not the good it can do.

Not every thing is bad or evil . sheesh.

M.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Moshpet

I see what you mean. But we werent talking about chemotherapy patients. We were talking about normal healthy everyday people. I dont see a problem with a chemotherapy patient wanting to grow there lashes back. But if your perfectly normal and already HAVE lashes, theres no need to potentially go blind or get permanent skin darkening and retina discoloring just for longer lashes.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Moshpet

They have Brook Shields as their marketing model. Something is wrong, there. She never had cancer. She had normal eyelashes.

I said the thing about the chemotherapy, too. But that's really not how they're marketing it.

And I agree with you, an0maly... it is a mask. It's not how you really look. Anyone who thinks otherwise is really confused.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I also cant stand what photoshop has done to magazines, its insane! No wonder women have such image issues. I also cant believe they actually believe the women in these magazines actually look like that in real life. I recently saw an article on photoshop and a celebrities new clothing ad and how much they photoshopped her. She looked ridiculous! Whatever happened to looking like yourself? I am not out to please anyone and fit in with the rest of the people when it comes to all this stuff. I have wrinkles and I love them, I wouldnt change them, they are a part of me! Nobody is perfect and IMO each persons little imperfections is what makes them unique. Why would I want to go around looking like everyone else? How boring!

Word! I hate that all of the images in magazines and ads are fake. They are everywhere. We are constantly bombarded by images of fake beauty. Most people still don't know this, and I find that upsetting. It would be one thing if the ads were being presented as paintings, but they're not. The scale is being skewed by fictional images, you know?

I hear men say all the time about they don't care about makeup, and I should hope they're not telling their girlfriends to go put some makeup on, BUT I think most of them don't notice when they see a woman wearing makeup vs a woman who is not. Just like most people think that natural blondes have platinum hair naturally, and would call someone with golden blonde hair a brunette. They see it so often that it looks normal. But it does make a difference.

I wear makeup everyday and for me it is what I am used to. I am a realist and I notice that when I dress nice and take care of my appearance everyone treats me better. It may be wrong, but it's a fact.

My cat has natural eyeliner and eyeshadow, in that she has dark lines in her fur surrounded by lighter fur around those lines. I'm jealous. Maybe I'm mimicking my cat? lol

OP, you are right though about that product. Yuck!

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by AmethystSD

I also wear makeup because I'm used to it. I personally could never just "stop."

If you don't wear makeup, you get ignored. The more you wear (to a point), the more positive attention you get.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I know a woman who lost her eyelashes from chemotherapy. She used it and they grew back. Made her happy.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Lolliek

And that's a good thing!

But the fact that they're marketing it to healthy individuals...

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13

If you don't wear makeup, you get ignored. The more you wear (to a point), the more positive attention you get.

Thats some statement you made there. One thing i can't figure out, is you keep saying that buying so much into the make-up industry is stupid, but you just admitted earlier that you buy every new mascara that comes out, that you can't go out without make-up on, etc.
You also said a couple of times that you are pretty and yet you still feel the need to to put make up on.

If you want things to change, let the change come from you! Stop buying it all (literally and figuratively).

Simple thing, women do this stuff because other women do. Women spend way too much time worrying about how they look and i used to be the same, when i was your age. I think as you get older, you care less. You realise that there is a lot more to people than what they look like. I'm not saying become a slob, but it is possible to look beautiful without make-up.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by geek101

No, you're completely right. I do things that I know are wrong and that I am morally against. But it's really hard at my age to find friends who still want to be seen with you, to find boyfriends who understand.

It's awful but I don't want to be "that girl."

If there was a way for us to all make the change at once, I'd be all for it. But the truth is that people aren't going to follow in my example, they will just think less of me because I don't look the way I "should."

People say if you don't put effort into how you look by buying makeup, shaving all the time, whatever, that you're a slob. Even if you take care of yourself.

I think that, if I ever get a job in field work (like I'd prefer), I would abandon the whole beauty thing entirely. But at this point, I won't. It's harder to make friends, in my case, if I don't stick on the eyeliner.

It's very competitive and unfortunately, beauty ranks higher than intelligence in some situations. It's wrong. I don't like it. But I refuse to be called names and lose friends because I "let myself go."

If you ask other girls, many will tell you the same thing. It's an awful cycle, and I doubt there's a way for everyone to get out of it. If I stop wearing makeup, I don't encourage others to do so. Instead, I may become the "outcast" and people will continue wearing makeup to be better than me, and because they may see the way people would treat me and go "I won't want to be treated like that."

So, essentially, I don't know how much of that is exaggerating or not, but I'm not about to ditch my makeup to find out. Unless ATS endorsed me and a bunch of people paid me and I had all my friends sign forms. But even then it would be a stretch.

I know that my mom went all natural in the 60s, but then it was more accepted. Now it's like, oh, you don't go tanning? You don't wax? You're hideous.

I stand proud for all the things I haven't done, and the limited modifications (temporary) that I do to my body. So really, maybe you should be talking to the people who are getting cosmetic surgery. I'm on the lesser end of the scale.

Edit- People tell me that I'm pretty but my self-esteem is very low. So I don't think that I am. I don't like to go out with my curly hair and glasses. It's just a thing. I also know that my boyfriend feels like I don't have to make these physical changes, but I somehow don't always believe him when he's like "Babe, you look fine."

[edit on 8/2/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I do understand your point, honestly. Especially in this day and age (i'm 38 btw), the pressure is terrible. When i was your age, it didn't matter so much, celebrities weren't all over the place back then, if you wanted to read about celebrities, you bought a specific magazine, if you could find one. Now it's all so in your face. And yes, it must be hard.

I have a 12yr old daughter and as much as i try to steer her into a way of thinking that beauty is only skin deep, i know that she'll end up thinking otherwise (at least for a while) because everywhere she looks, people are telling her otherwise.

For what its worth, i think you are a very pretty young lady. And if people thought less of you for not wearing make-up, then those people aren't worth ****.
"Those that matter, don't mind.....those that mind, don't matter."

I know, i know, it's easy for me to tell you all this stuff but you are at that age where you will be concerned about how you look. Just remember....you are at least aware that it's all a con. You have that going for you. Alot of people your age don't even see it for what it is. So kudos to that.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I honestly never understood the whole makeup bit. I don't understand why the woman are competing against each other, it should honestly be more like the animal kingdom where males do all their displaying and strutting and get women that way. Why complicate that order more? Of course, just my opinion, women are beautiful creatures without makeup. It's as if they want to deceive men into thinking they are more beautiful to make up for something else sometimes as well.

I wouldn't consider myself extremely attractive or unattractive, but I know that even if a woman who I thought terribly unattractive sought to talk to me, I wouldn't deny her that just on her looks, no need for the makeup-middleman. Even more so if the woman was incredibly attractive without the makeup or surgery and it was obvious she was "all natural" I would be so elated to have an opportunity to mingle with her. It is hard to say that no one discriminates based on looks, be a terribly lie to say so, and I don't claim to disregard looks. But to be lenient and just give everyone a chance is a thing that feels right. It's obvious, but the makeup and all the pressure from society to change looks is so misplaced and well, conformist. Women shouldn't have to worry about looks, just how beautiful they are as a person and it is a terrible thing that sometimes all the stress on looks makes everyone ugly anyway.

[edit on 05/17/2009 by Ummarth]

[edit on 05/17/2009 by Ummarth]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join