It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three Gorges Dam in China–Largest in World – Serious Problems? Affects the Whole Earth

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall
I wanted to get across the pressing information of how we can all be affected - if there is a dam failure.

I didn't see any pressing information on how we can all be affected if the dam fails.

Perhaps you can point out just what exactly it is that is going to affect us all if the dam does indeed fail ? I know there will likely be an affect in terms of global economy but apart from that I see no pressing issue where we would all be affected.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Great work questioningall, very interesting and very very well written, as always you put so much work into your threads, I love reading them, S&F

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Excellent post, thank you very much, well researched.

My first comment is this sounds very much like the issues, only a much larger scale, of Glen Canyon Damn in AZ. Many of the same issues. I personally backpacked down some of the canyons PRIOR to them becoming part of Lake Powell. I have studied Glen Canyon Damn thoroughly, back in the 1970's. I will not go into detail. Again, the same exact issues, sediment, property destruction, river changes, increased pollution, weather changes etc, all on a much smaller scale.

This monster is something else, affecting hundreds of millions of people, entire cities. I find it absolutely unbelievable that the Chinese are destroying their beautiful rivers and mountains, all in the name of money and prestige. And to boot, lets build it around several active earthquake faults. What are these people thinking?

Also, in the movie, I found it interesting the lady stated the Chinese
press, TV and radio are NOT allowed to even discuss anything about the project. Does that sound familiar?

[edit on 20-7-2009 by octaviameister]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
History it seems repeats itself in China. Here is a link that has some information on how the critics of the dam were exiled from the final approval. Communist politics it seems still holds the model of Mao and his "Great Leap Forward"

toxipedia.org...

Southern China has yet to recover from Mao's attempt to industrialize his country. The reforestation efforts have had little success due to the fact that the population still encroaches on the new forests for fuel in order to cook and keep warm. Then along comes the dam...drowning fertile fields and displacing more citizens to the south. China could reap the same effects that Mao inflicted...mass starvation. Mistakes compounded by bigger mistakes.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Holy thats alot of reading!

Great work questioningall!

What i found most interesting in this whole article was the fact that all that water piling up there can affect the earth's rotation.

Its not surprising that the dam itself is flawed and TPTB in China are worried, I don't think theres anything man can engineer that nature cant destroy on a whim if it wanted to. I would hope that none of this doom and gloom scenario comes to pass, but at the same time it seems like its only a matter of time before we have our "oops" moment in one way or another.

Love your posts keep them coming.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
in 130 days from now that dam is going to break watch and see many will die

an idian had some vision after the death of a us icon. also when i look at the time wave software i see at that time a major drop in the graph that says that something mayor is going to happen a disaster.....

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

great thread -- excellent work.

snf

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by technojon

Thank you - but you aren't the only one with keeping being on ATS a secret - My family has NO idea - about me being involved with an "alternative information" site, besides any of the information I provide. The reality is: they just don't want to know about things and definitely don't want me to tell them either. Though I hound them on looking at what is REALLY happening in the world - when I can.

But it is my secret too.

[edit on 20-7-2009 by questioningall]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
While the dam itself may be unsound and need some serious rethinking / restructuring, I don't think the eclipse will even put a blip on it. You really think a tidal buldge will affect this reservoir? I hightly doubt it.

In a great body of water like the ocean, you can get about 1 meter of tidal buldge. In Lake Michigan, the tidal buldge is a mere 2 inches. This dam holds about the same amount of water as Lake Superior, which is a bit bigger than lake Michigan (tho, not as deep). So even a "super" moon / eclipse, I think the most you would see in a bulge is around I dunno.. 3"? We'll even say 4". This is not going cause the dam to explode.

What exactly did you expect to occur as a result of this eclipse? Other than a normal occurence of a tidal buldge, which occurs with all bodies of water due to the gravitational pulls. I mean, there is hard science in regards to the effects of gravity to our bodies of water. I can't think of anything that could occur with this, that would cause a major disaster.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

If you read questioningall’s posts through, you’ll see that there are problems with the stability of the dam already. It’s a piece of crap: there are already cracks and questions of the integrity of its structure and construction.

Lake Michigan is pretty well established by nature as a stable water reservoir. This thing is not. It was, according to many reports, built quickly and shoddily. A few inches of water surging to and fro against the dam may be all that is needed to push it past its limits of tolerance.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by passenger

If that were true then wouldnt the dam get wiped out by a good rainstorm more easily then by the tidal bulge created by an eclipse?

link   

Insanly good work there!!

I couldnt get the Youtube to show..

But, as I read it, the dam even changes Earth's physics in a way, that cant be good one bit?

Wouldnt that affect the prescicion cycle among things ??

link   
OK op, this just got down right weird for me on this thread.

As I was making it thru your first page of information, and I have seen much on this dam in the past on TV and else where, my cell phone rang.

I am a very high level Engineer that specializes in high pressure Hydraulics. I work as a consultant/contractor in Aerospace, Military, Automotive, Moblile, and Industrial including Robitics, for over 27 years.

I just got a call to go to work in China to help design new types of mining and dredging equipment. They are in a hurry on several pieces.
I don't know with what is going on in the world if I will take it, but I am going to look at the offer as long as it pays somewhere North of rediculous.

I wonder if this is connected to the same problem you have brought to everyone's attention. Usually China just copies what everyone else makes and does not including Military projects I have worked on.

I asked if this was for the China Govt. and they seriously hesitated and said, "Umm, this would be worked thru a equipment company in China.
Well, China owns and controls many, many, companies over there.

[edit on 20-7-2009 by j2000]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by 5 oClock

At first I thought of "O'Brother where art thou" movie. It's interesting how they state the concrete was too strong

Too Strong = Brittle

Compare Ceramic to plastic. Ceramic is 100x stronger, but drop each of them on tile and see which one is still usable!

Concrete is a science all by itself. The aggregates used, the water used, the drying time, the air removal, etc. etc.

In the US, we often add latex or fiberglass resin to make it a little more flexible. Large chunks need to be kept wet so the concrete can dry thoroughly from the inside out. It has to be "vibrated" or shaken while it is wet to remove air pockets.

It is pretty scary to look at tons of concrete suspended overhead in bridges, parking garages, or buildings and know all the mistakes that could have been made!?!

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
J2000,

Man if you do gitty up and go, please keep us posted, even if nothing happens this week that thing sounds like a timebomb.

North of rediculous

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Great thread very interesting read. S&F for you

I think many of us who have bought goods manufactured in China can attest to the inferiority of workmanship and the poor quality of raw materials used. Are we really expected to believe they are not cutting corners to pad the pockets of a few by using inferior materials and methods in this project?

I've got a Chinese mousetrap that doesn't catch mice, I've got some Chinese screws that can't stand up to normal screwdriving without the heads getting ruined. I really don't trust they won't cheat and use some of their own inferior products.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Got it, tks for the info. Almost like "to big to fail"
Can't they just throw more concrete at it?

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Fascinating thread!

Could you provide a link to the Indian's claims? I would like to read exactly what he had to say.

Thanks for all your hard work.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
This is a Big Dam Post with a lot of Dam information.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

Yep - it is - VERY WELL SAID!!

Thanks for the Laugh!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join