It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

physical exercise and it's relation to meditation/religious practice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I am looking for any sort of physical exercise methods or practices that are rooted in the religious or spiritual traditions. If there are any. And if not the traditions, any sort of physical exercises that help you in your own spiritual practice?

I'm curious, but what actually had me wondering is that I have never really been able to get an exercise plan going and stay to it (that goes along with my spiritual practice).

But I do feel that it could be a grounding sort of thing, a balancing. If it brought more of this into the picture then it would be well worth it. That's what I'm looking for, something that gets me in shape but moreover is grounding and helps relax the muscles in the hours after.

I would imagine a combination of jogging, pushups, plyometrics, and stretching would be the right direction, and mindfulness during. I've also considered juggling of a soccer ball (it's a good exercise of mind/body combination at least for me) That's the common sense part, I'm wondering if there anyone can point me in the direction of something deeper, or designed by the experienced for the purpose of spiritual practice.

I worry that exercise and stretches could be subtly detrimental if done too much or too little, or doing the wrong sorts of things. And there would really be no way of knowing, because I imagine the effects to be subtle in comparison to things such as diet and how often you meditate, daily activities, and mindset.

I haven't really been into spiritual practice lately, but I plan to start again soon and may or may not try to incorporate this exercise into it.

If anyone knows much on this I'd be grateful.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Novise
I am looking for any sort of physical exercise methods or practices that are rooted in the religious or spiritual traditions.

Martial arts!

I've started studying the martial arts in the past couple of days, just the basics. I want to eventually learn Aikido. Most martial arts are deeply tied to spirituality.

new topics

join