It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another one bites the dust

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Internet - While internet users have to fight a huge battle against worms and viruses since the first DCOM vulnerability in June 2003, german police can report first catches in that scene.

While Germany was in the news for one of the biggest series of house searches ever related to hacking/warez:

www.crime-research.org...

which resulted in searches all over the world and in the operation "fastlink":
www.cybercrime.gov...

, they have returned back to the news. The creator of the worm "Sasser" which is exploiting Microsofts newest mass vulnerability, has been caught in a small town in Niedersachsen/Germany:

www.heise.de...

Motivated by this it seems they thought to go for real on this topic and also searched 3 houses in L�rrach near Munich. The people caught there are the creators of the super-worm called "Phatbot":

www.heise.de...

All of the searches above where made up on information given by the Central Intelligence Agency

So you can either conclude that germans are too dumb or that the CIA has soms serious monitoring going on

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Not to be sucking up, but I would say Germans are one of the smartest peoples in the world today. The best cars in the world (BMW, Mercedes-Benz), the best architects in the world, the best engineering in the world, and in WW2, the Nazis (I DON'T put modern Germans and Nazis in the same boat - don't worry) had the best weaponry in the world - FAR ahead of their time. Where does all this come from? GERMANY. I truly envy you. Smart Ass

[Edited on 5/8/04 by xenophanes85]

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
wow they caught thst hacker fast! makes you wonder how much monitoring the CIA does....

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by xenophanes85
Not to be sucking up, but I would say Germans are one of the smartest peoples in the world today. The best cars in the world (BMW, Mercedes-Benz), the best architects in the world, the best engineering in the world, and in WW2, the Nazis (I DON'T put modern Germans and Nazis in the same boat - don't worry) had the best weaponry in the world - FAR ahead of their time. Where does all this come from? GERMANY. I truly envy you. Smart Ass

Thanks for the flowers
- we lost grip on many of our main sciences and industries but we still got like you mentioned, car and engineering in general.
I hope we will come back with biotechnology as well but US and Israel have some very well university system sucking up the good scientists

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Accountability is the key here. Now that people who made Sasser and Phatbot have been caught, their fate will determine the future. If they are slapped on the wrist and freed, you can expect to see thousands of similar viruses in the near future, each taking Billion Dollar bites out of the economy.

If, instead, they are punished severely, well then perhaps people will think twice before doing a malicious act like this.

There is a distinction. Someone who discovers a security hole and helps the company fix it is a person trying to be helpful and keep people out of trouble. Someone who discovers a security hole and notifies all of his equally ugly friendless pals about it is a destructive miscreant who should not be allowed near anything that plugs into a wall.

I say take those 2 kids and make them re-sort the library of congress. By hand.

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 08:22 AM
link   
i doesnt have to be monitoring that caught him. perhaps they had some undercover work on irc etc...

new topics

top topics

join