It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The start of machines becoming self aware...Wheres John Connor?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Why do humans insists on trying to replicate ourselves? We are near perfect working organic machines...

Scientists at the University of California have unveiled a "hyper-realistic" robot that has taught itself to smile and frown. The robot, whose face is crafted in the likeness of famous physicist Albert Einstein, has about 30 facial muscles, each moved by a tiny servo motor connected to the muscle by a string. Computer science PhD student Tingfan Wu said the robot learnt to make different facial expressions through a process of self-guided machine learning

news.ninemsn.com.au...
see 9 images also here

Though I see how this would be effective for amputees with limb replacement with evolving learning muscles, I have a sense of forebding towards what AI can lead to in the wrong hands.
Will Governments make self intelligent robotic soldiers? Maybe I've just watched too many Hollywood films...sigh

[edit on 11-7-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Why do humans insists on trying to replicate ourselves? We are near perfect working organic machines...

'Cause we're lonely. It's as simple as that.
Not we as individuals, though likely that, but also we as a species.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
everyone assumes that machines will become self aware , like being tampered with by an evil entity, that would be something more than AI, it would not be self driven. At some point we will reach a level of realism in depth of programming, that the AI program won't be rewritten again, due to it taking an enternity to program, it will become the base of all servant type machines. This will lead into understanding the way our own minds work better electrically, maybe stumble over an old threshold and learn to use our other eighty percent of our brain.
Let me divulge this, what good are robots in a world where things as heavy as trains can be moved by simple thought in a real brain, what purpose would the servant serve? This will be the end of the machine era.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Golden Generic

People can lift trains with their brain? Now that has to hurt.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I think i agree with the idea that we as a species are lonely, the fact where the only concious ones in our own neighberhood is really getting to us. Creating intelligent machines will be an interesting step for humanity, its going to happen.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Thanks for your reply

Are you saying that we are developing machines to simply replace labour? And allow us leisure? Will robots become a slave like? Will they be able to become aware of their 'status'?

Full variable outcomes are unknown as to what a machines can evolve to...Are we going to get DATAs? (from Star trek). Terminators?
Labour droids?
Our main gage for outcomes is sci fi books and movies.....

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
making a machine is the way you make things in this world unless your an alchemist or a magic user.

I should also interject here that MIT has converted an ion of light into solid mass, so the idea of creation from light has been done already.

Therefore we could skip the machine , forget the puppets, forget the simpets, and jump right into creation

And become GODS>>>

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Can you please provide a link to support your claim that MIT produced matter from light?

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   

What exactly is an "ion" of light? Pretty sure light is consisted mostly of photons.

Also i can't find a trace of this elleged MIT case.

I think intelligent or at least semi-intelligent machines in our near future is almost an absolute certainty, for we already have things like them.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz

Scientists at the University of California have unveiled a "hyper-realistic" robot that has taught itself to smile and frown. The robot, whose face is crafted in the likeness of famous physicist Albert Einstein, has about 30 facial muscles, each moved by a tiny servo motor connected to the muscle by a string. Computer science PhD student Tingfan Wu said the robot learnt to make different facial expressions through a process of self-guided machine learning

news.ninemsn.com.au...
see 9 images also here

Though I see how this would be effective for amputees with limb replacement with evolving learning muscles, I have a sense of forebding towards what AI can lead to in the wrong hands.
Will Governments make self intelligent robotic soldiers? Maybe I've just watched too many Hollywood films...sigh

[edit on 11-7-2009 by zazzafrazz]

The drive to create, the drive to control what you create. This is why merely having sex and popping out a baby is not good enough for humans. We want to control what gender, how this baby look like, how healthy, how smart etc etc.

This is why the vast majority of humans believes in some type of super beings, God, gods, etc. Because we envy that they have this creation super power. We want to play god, we want to be our own gods.

So as what the bible said that God created man according to his own images, we will always try to create something in our own images. Robots is just our creation, our baby, our next phase in the evolution.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Nowhere in the link you provided does it state that MIT or anyone else has transformed light into matter, but thanks for providing something. That is more than most do.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz

Basically Science see us as 'machines': Input / Output based organisms.
When we look at our schooling systems and our societies, they are all based on 'operant' programming of the species.
(Operant conditioning is basically the stick and carrot / punishment and reward system)

So when looking at our frail bodies, which disease and age, scientists naturally will attempt to duplicate them to make them longer living and basically immortal (With repair and upgrade).

The most basic question I have to ask you is: "DO you think that consciousness can be copied" ??

[edit on 16-8-2009 by starwarp2000]

join