It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cyber-Scare: The exaggerated fears over digital warfare

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Introducing a comprehensive White House report on cyber-security released at the end of May, President Obama called cyber-security “one of the most serious economic and national security challenges we face as a nation.” His words echo a flurry of gloomy think-tank reports. The Defense Science Board, a federal advisory group, recently warned that “cyber-warfare is here to stay,” and that it will “encompass not only military attacks but also civilian commercial systems.” And “Securing Cyberspace for the 44th President,” prepared by the Center for Strategic and International Studies, suggests that cyber-security is as great a concern as “weapons of mass destruction or global jihad.”
source

This is a long, but interesting article and it make some very valid points. The threat of 'cyber-terrorism' sounds like just another excuse to impose regulations on the way we use the internet. It's the same excuse they've used to do everything from put us on watch lists to attempt to infringe our right to peaceably assemble and now it appears they are going to restrict the way we use the internet under the same rationale. If there really are terrorists in the world, this is exactly what they want: to force us to change the way we live due to fear.

TA

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
we reap what we sow

maybe time we changed crop?

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

maybe time we changed crop?

I would say 'sounds like a plan to me' but I don't want to get labeled a cyber-terrorist.

TA

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
There is a disconnect from the sensational spin media puts on this.

I have said it before, and I promise you, do your own research and it will bear up to scrutiny.

The backbone of the most important functions of government and public service have no place on the internet, and frankly, for the most part, they are on discrete networks that are unassailable but from within. The one's that aren't are, again for the most part, in the hands of defense contractors, who couldn't give a damn about spending money to secure data. They work with the standard suite, generally as lame as the services they deliver for the government contracts.

If you wanted to keep a secret, would you put it on the internet? Think about it.

Flagged and Starred!

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

If you wanted to keep a secret, would you put it on the internet? Think about it.

Great points, Maxmars. There is no way that even a very skilled hacker could access the really important things. This is all just fear mongering to scare the public into consenting to restrictions on our internet usage. Thanks for the reply, insight, star and flag.

TA

new topics

top topics

join