It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what natural compounds are scientifically proven to 'interfere' with flu virus?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I want to start taking some of these compounds if any. I've started drinking 4-5 green teas a day, liquid garlic, mushrooms in my meals, chamomile tea, and I am in good physical condition (I do 30mins high intensity rowing every other day). What other 'superfoods' have been known to fight flu? Not necessarily boost your immune system but that actually contain compounds that interfere with the virus.. Thanks!

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Slippery Elm:
the inner bark of the red elm tree. It was used for centuries by the Native Americans to prevent illness. It was also used by American Colonialists to prevent flu, smallpox, typhus, etc.

It has been shown, that due to the rhamnose sugar it posesses, protein viral capsids of viruses are unable to remain intact. The rhamnose tears the viral capsid apart and thus, a virus cannot enter a cell to infect it.

I will post a chemical description to support the post when I dig through my files.

It can be found at any health food or vitamin store- in capsule, lozenge, or tea form.

I cannot stress the importance of this enough- and I'm sorry can't find clinical trials on it- the FDA tends not to encouragethe use of natural products, as they reduce the pharma's bottom lines...
as an example- the man who characterized Coenzyme Q10 and won the Nobel Prize for it was fired from Merck, as it was more effective than statins in reducing cholesterol- but you can't patenet (and make money) from a natural protein or sugar.....NIH has suppressed trials that show CoQ10 cures breast and prostate cancer, as well....

Article showing anti-retroviral activity of rhamnose (not flu, but, actually, HIV-)
www.patentstorm.us...
Rhamnose as an anti-retro-viral and anti-cancer agent:
www.freepatentsonline.com...
Rhamnose and related polysaccharides as antivirals:
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
Again, rhamnose and other similar sugars as anti-vrals and anti-cancer agents:
www.springerlink.com...

Rhamnose can also be found in spirulina and other plants sources. Slippery Elm is the most readily available, healthy and tolerable (low-allergenic response, etc.) in people. It's also high in proteins and other plant polyphenols, etc., which make it a very healthy dietary addition.

[edit on 6-7-2009 by CultureD]

EDIT: If you Google Rhamnose, Slippery Elm and influenza, you'll get more PubMed articles than I could fit in a post- researchers everywhere have been studying the plant and the sugar(s) as anti-viral agents, as they remove the protein capsid from viruses. They also degrade cell walls in bacteria, and induce apoptosis in cancer cells. A good deal of the research is in the EU and Asia, as the US pharmas don't want a plant to replace their Tamilfu (ironically, as Tamflu is derived from star anise- a plant---)
You can make star anise tea- just be careful of dosage- like Tamiflu it can have nasty side effects. BUT- a small amount in tea form is the same as Tamiflu in essence, and you can go to Whole Foods or something to get it, rather than to the GP. Use Slippery Elm freely; use Star Anise with CAUTION

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Getting the crap scared out of you

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
can any gurus comment on this list?

www.carolonpets.com...

It 'seems' fairly comprehensive and legit

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by contemplator

I only really know of compounds that can help conceal and help ease the symptoms of the Flu. As you stated in the OP, teas are very beneficial for fighting the flu.

I did find this however; Cold and Flu: 10 Foods that fight Cold & Flu

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Spirulina is a great super-food- for overall health and well-being ( some like the taste- I'm not a fan of the algae aroma, so I mix up a shot in water and toss it like whiskey
; but spirulina and the others listed DO contain the rhamnose sugar I described, that kills viruses.

Eat away!

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   
colloidal silver, known to kill over 700 bacteria virus and pathogens. also a product called MMS - Miracle Mineral Solution. Taking Chromium and Magnesium will help your body eliminate built up toxins and pathogens from your blood and organs. get off the fluoridated water (v important).

These things will help kill off anything you have accumulated over (years) time and give your immune system a real boost. there are lots of natural remedies to help your immune system.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Home made juices from organic or home grown fruit and veggies.

Dark green leafy veggies preferably home grown. Look up 'green smoothies'

EM-X gold is a japenese drink you will have to google this one also mms miracle mineral supplement.

For self sustainable survival i would look up

Permaculture(growing your own food), join seed saving banks, look up edible herbs etc etc. You will find alot of things in nature protect you.

[edit on 6-7-2009 by Applesandoranges]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by CultureD

Spirulina is a great super-food- for overall health and well-being ( some like the taste- I'm not a fan of the algae aroma, so I mix up a shot in water and toss it like whiskey
; but spirulina and the others listed DO contain the rhamnose sugar I described, that kills viruses.

Eat away!

The article said spirulina is BAD for flu.. hmm

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   

I'm going with vitamin D supplements and oil of oregano for this flu season. I am familiar with them.

If you have favorite supplements or foods that you trust, begin there.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Anise. Garlic. Vitamin D. Yogurt is supposed to help prevent colds/flu.

Actually, I think the yogurt and garlic work for me. I have had a reduced number of colds/flu since eating them daily. I don't know about the Anise, but I bought some for this fall when I found out that tamiflu uses Anise as an ingredient.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Applesandoranges

Funny you mention self- farming- individual agriculture. We do that- we grow feverfew, Prunella vulgaris, lavender, comfrey, shiso, rosemary, squash, carrots- the lot. It has been a wonderful addition to our health; we don't worry about pesticides, and we can throw it all into a bowl of rice and beans and stay healthy for months- years-.

We also buy orgo herbs and store them- either dried, or in tincture form. We always have our own "apothecary" and I know it's enriched our health.

Great suggestion!

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Here's a list of natural foods that have not been mentioned yet. The source seems solid, have a look.

The Swine Flu Diet

naturalmomstalkradio.com...

STM

[edit on 7/6/2009 by seentoomuch]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Non Chemically Made Silver Minerals, SilGevity have been reported to be used for:

1. Flu
  2. Strep Throat
  3. Sinus Infections
  4. Microbial infections
  5. Disinfectant
  6. Pet Infections
  7. Pet Disease
  8. Ring Worm
  9. Fungus
  10. Athletes Foot
  11. Acne
  12. Immune System Supplement
  13. Pool and Spa Care

1. Far better than the traditional Chemically Made Colloidal Silver

SilGevity sold at www.gold2live.com may be the answer to:

1. • It may be the answer to Swine Flu
  2. • Because of it;s atom sized particles
  3. • Which Make its Much More EFFECTIVE
  4. • For Better health results

What is "Monatomic" and What Size are Nano Particles?

In physics and chemistry, monatomic is a combination of the words "mono" and "atomic," and means "single atom. Most other "Traditional" products are Nano Particles which range from 9 atoms to 12 atoms in size, and are rarely found to exceed 200 PPM (Parts Per Million)

FACT: Atom Sized Particles are more effective than Nano Particles
FACT: Atom Sized Particles are considered to be TRACE MINERALS
FACT: Trace Minerals are more easily absorbed than Nano Particles
FACT: Trace Silver Mineral Supplement by GoldenGevity is made with NO Chemicals!

SilGevity has: 3000 PPM....that’s about 150 Times MORE !!! than most competitors.

“Clear Water" Means Pure Water with NO heavy metals and no horrific side effects

To be considered:

NO Dangerous Side Effects!
NO Silver Nitrates
NO Silver Chlorides
NO Silver Hydroxides
NO Silver Peroxides
Anti Viral
Anti Bacterial
IMMUNE SYSTEM Supplement.
It may be the answer to Swine Flu
Much more smaller particles
Much More EFFECTIVE