It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEW DULCE?! Deep Underground Science and Engineering Laboratory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   

The Deep Underground Science and Engineering Laboratory, or DUSEL is a major project under consideration by the National Science Foundation. If built, DUSEL will be a series of large laboratories, caverns, and cleanrooms serving the field of underground science. The main impetus for DUSEL is the study of extremely rare nuclear physics processes, like neutrino scattering, dark matter interactions, and neutrinoless double beta decay, which can only be studied in the absence of cosmic rays. (Cosmic ray muons on the Earth's surface cause backgrounds in these types of detectors, but the particles cannot penetrate great depths in rock.) Easy access to these great depths will open new frontiers in geomicrobiology, geosciences, and mining engineering, making DUSEL a multidisciplinary facility.

Deep Underground Science and Engineering Laboratory

On July 10, 2007, the mine was selected by the National Science Foundation as the location[2] for the Deep Underground Science and Engineering Laboratory (DUSEL), winning out over several candidates including the Henderson Mine near Empire, Colorado. If completed, the DUSEL facility will continue the early work on ultra-low-background experiments on dark matter and neutrinos, as well as providing a site for biology, geology, and mining research.

Homestake Mine (South Dakota)

Gaining access to that depth will take some time, since as of May 4, 2009 the mine is flooded to the 4846 foot depth[2] and will need to be pumped dry and rusted equipment repaired. Plans are to construct an interim laboratory, at the 4850 foot level.[3] This "Sanford Underground Laboratory at Homestake", currently funded by T. Denny Sanford ($70 million) and the state of South Dakota ($35 million) will support a National Science Foundation grant application for the full DUSEL (est. $550 million) in 2011.[4]

---- End Wiki----

The Deep Underground Science and Engineering Lab (DUSEL) at Homestake will address the underground needs of all of the major scientific fields included in the NSF solicitation process: particle and nuclear physics, geology, hydrology, geo-engineering, biology, and biochemistry. Homestake is the deepest mine in North America with rooms at 8000 ft., well-suited for experiments that require extremely low cosmogenic backgrounds: in particular, the search for neutrino-less double beta decay and relic dark matter.

Offical Homestake Page

STUDY SPACE FROM UNDERGROUND?!?!

[edit on 26-6-2009 by drsmooth23]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Site Proposal
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/ef5eae92477e7486.jpg[/atsimg]
FULL SIZE
These underground Labs are very important, scientifically speaking, because the various layers of strata do an excellent job at cosmic ray shielding. It is the reason the LHC is under ground. without them being underground, the scientists would get very dynamic false data because of the influences of cosmic rays.

This isnt a government project per say, it is being spearheaded by the National Science Foundation. They have recvied a few grants, and some private donors have really stepped up to the plate. They will have Multidisciplinary Labs at various points throughout the site. They will have functions for Physics, Biology, Geo science, Engineering and most interestingly, Astrophysics.

Homestake Mine
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/df4cfb8a6779dc9f.jpg[/atsimg]
FULL SIZE

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
How about new Dusel scientific research laboratory. But interesting to read about!

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by RyanLA123

agreed. I only put DULCE in the title because, Sadly, thats the only way reason most people will read this post.

I think that it would be best to wait for detailed planning, at least until we see if there are any design flaws in the engineering of the LHC. if it turns out that Science took a wrong turn somewhere, then such a facility would be useless to further conduct flawed experiments until we know the foundation of scientific belief is fully stabilized.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
This I think exists spread out across the planet. They have found thousands of years old 'bunkers' deep in the tectonic plates, and I figure time will only tell...

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

agreed. I only put DULCE in the title because, Sadly, thats the only way reason most people will read this post.

Not a good reason to false post........

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

Agreed. there are some rather odd naturally forming caverns in places you wouldnt expect.

One of the most scary Man Made sites would have to be the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant

The Waste Isolation Pilot Plant, or WIPP, is the world's third deep geological repository (after closure of Germany's Repository for radioactive waste Morsleben and the Schacht Asse II Salt Mine) licensed to permanently dispose of transuranic radioactive waste for 10000 years[1] that is left from the research and production of nuclear weapons. It is located approximately 26 miles (42 km) east of Carlsbad, New Mexico, in eastern Eddy County.

Since 1991, the United States Department of Energy has been working with a team of linguists, scientists, science fiction writers, anthropologists and futurists to come up with such a warning system. The markers, called "passive institutional controls", will include an outer perimeter of 32, 25-foot-tall granite pillars built in a four-mile (6 km) square. These pillars will surround an earthen wall, 33 feet (10 m) tall and 100 feet (30 m) wide. Enclosed within this wall will be another 16 granite pillars. At the center, directly above the waste site, will sit a roofless, 15-foot (4.6 m) granite room providing more information. The team intends to etch warnings and informational messages into the granite slabs and pillars. This information will be recorded in the six official languages of the United Nations (English, Spanish, Russian, French, Chinese, Arabic) as well as the Native American Navajo language native to the region, with additional space for translation into future languages . Pictograms are also being considered, such as stick figure images and the iconic "The Scream" from Edvard Munch's painting. Complete details about the plant will not be stored on site, instead, they would be distributed to archives and libraries around the world. The team plans to submit their final plan to the U.S. Government by around 2028.[7]

I find it amazing. facilities like DUSEL take decades to plan, but the technology is outdated by the time they have the ribbon cutting ceremonies,

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Oatmeal

well im glad you could actually add to the topic,

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I really didn't feel like encouraging you in posting a fake and misleading topic....my choice.

[edit on 26-6-2009 by Oatmeal]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Oatmeal

umm, there is little evidence that Dulce even exists in the first place. This project is the closest thing we will ever have to a publicly accessible facility that could be considered similar to Dulce.

-----------------------------------

I would love to see some advancements in dark matter come from this place, as I think it would be fundamental in the development of anit- gravity devices.

[edit on 27-6-2009 by drsmooth23]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

Excellent post. I would hope that the facility has backup power as I would hate to be stuck in a place so deep underground. It would feel very claustrophobic.

The government may have many such facilities built to house the Shadow Government and other dignitaries.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: drsmooth23

sanfordlab.org...
SANFORD UNDERGROUND RESEARCH FACILITY
(July 9, 2013) Scholarship class from all over country arrives for first 2 of 4 weeks study at various labs around the world.

One of the sponsors is "3M" - which has long had a rumored underground facility in Dallas on Walton Walker Road. Which isn't too far from Irvine, which has experienced a dozen small 'quakes in the past few days.

thescoopblog.dallasnews.com...
IRVING QUAKES - 11 IN 2 DAYS

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
sanfordlab.org...
SANFORD UNDERGROUND LAB

Curious symbol in the upper left, of a metal disc with a pie-piece missing in the upper left. In historical heraldry, the on-point triangular cleft expanded straight upwards means "military strength or fortitude," and might hint at high-tech beam weaponry aimed upward. While the metallic Silver means "cleanliness, wisdom, innocence, peace and joy," in medieval heraldry.

www.familytreesandcrests.com...
HERALDRY SYMBOLS

That cleft in the disc could also stand for "V":

en.wikipedia.org...
LETTER "V"
22nd letter in the ISO basic Latin alphabet, originally from the Semitic letter "Waw". The Ancient Greeks added a stem and turned it into "Y" or Upsilon. Four letters in the Latin alphabet arose from it: V, Y, and later U and W.

In Roman Numerals, "V" represents five.

(Using ancient or medieval symbols could have multiple reasons. It could indicate an "ancient or medieval power" still being researched - or hidden within. It could represent "hidden meanings" to a shadow society or species. It might signal to Time Travelers or other visiting species everything from our development level, to who really runs our Planet.)

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1420825744&sr=1-1&keywords=v+the+series
"V" - THE COMPLETE ORIGINAL SERIES

edit on 9-1-2015 by MKMoniker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I still say they're excavating deep underground in Oklahoma and that's where all the earthquakes have been coming from. All 4.00 or thereabouts.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Interesting deep underground labs, they are doing underwater labs too. I think this is all a continuity of government and science program we are seeing.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
interesting and many labs related to transgene are located deep underground

top topics

join