It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop, Anthony Abbate Gets, Probation, No Jail, For Beating Female Bartender.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
It is good to see this officer exposed! This type of police abuse is becoming more common...and it makes me sick to see this!

What is wrong with these monsters, they think they are above the law...and they know the judges.

The good ole boys club.

If I were this gal, I would sue the departement. I am sure she would win.
Sue the cop and his department! I am sure there would be plenty of lawyers out there to snap up the case, and take the money on the come.
I hope she sues!

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
since he did not get jail time was he still convicted of a felony.

Or did the judge also drop the charge to a misdemeanor.

For a cop a felony conviction means no more guns plus they may be bared from certain jobs and in some states they have to register as a felon. (IE Nevada)

If its a felony he may also lose any retirement as a cop.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I seriously hope she sues him in civil court, and the other victims also. I don't think she can sue the department though as he was off duty at the time.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

I'm not sure if they charged him with it as a felony or not, i'll see if i can dig up anything on it.

So far i've only found sites from law firms that say anything about it being a class three felony. He still hasn't been fired yet, i'm waiting to find out if they are able to fire him or not. I believe he loses his pension if fired for this.

Aggravated Battery is a Class 3 felony. Although probation is an option, it can carry 3 to 5 years in prison and fines up to $10,000.00

www.thelegaldefenders.com...

Aggravated battery in criminal law is a more serious form of battery, and is considered a felony. Aggravated battery can be punished by a fine or more than a year in prison. Simple battery which is a misdemeanor can only be punished by less than one year in prison, or by a fine.

en.wikipedia.org...

I know they made sure they dropped all the charges like "official misconduct" that would've gotten him automatically fired and lost him his pension.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   
THANK YOU! More people need to speak out about the cop situation in America! I know for a fact there ARE decent cops somewhere but we all know for a fact there are cops who not only break the law but enter law enforcement with the intent TO break the law. For the last 6 years I have lived in SD and know of 3 instances involving criminal activity for a fact. Do I have a link to prove it? Nope. But here ya go anyway: I hit the peacepipe with a cop once and caught a cop receiving umm pleasure from a minor who was drinking and witnessed a drug deal between a dealer and a cop. I never reported any of them because I LOVE life so I begged God to bring them justice (not the one i smoked with duh) and within 6 months the later 2 got ousted for other things they eventually got busted doing. One went cruising while drinking and swerved his way to a Highway Patrol DUI checkpoint on a friday nite and it made the local paper here. Never lost his job though since he was experiencing a tramatic breakup with a girlfriend.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
THANK YOU! More people need to speak out about the cop situation in America! I know for a fact there ARE decent cops somewhere but we all know for a fact there are cops who not only break the law but enter law enforcement with the intent TO break the law. For the last 6 years I have lived in SD and know of 3 instances involving criminal activity for a fact. Do I have a link to prove it? Nope. But here ya go anyway: I hit the peacepipe with a cop once and caught a cop receiving umm pleasure from a minor who was drinking and witnessed a drug deal between a dealer and a cop. I never reported any of them because I LOVE life so I begged God to bring them justice (not the one i smoked with duh) and within 6 months the later 2 got ousted for other things they eventually got busted doing. One went cruising while drinking and swerved his way to a Highway Patrol DUI checkpoint on a friday nite and it made the local paper here. Never lost his job though since he was experiencing a tramatic breakup with a girlfriend.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
We just had a cop here in San Diego acquitted of shooting a mother and her eight year old son in a road rage incident.

Can you imagine if a civilian did the same thing? They'd be crucified.

It's very hard to convict a cop of anything...

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

That's terrible. Do you have a link to that story ? Around the world we all need to do something to stop these LEO's from being above the law.

Can you imagine if a civilian did the same thing? They'd be crucified.

Not only that, but also the fact that if a civilian does anythng to a cop they receive much higher charges and a more severe sentence than if their victim had been an ordinary civilian citizen. That's why if a cop is found quilty of breaking the law they should receive higher charges and harsher sentences.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Many of these cases need to be taken over by the federal courts.

Then more likely many of these officers would get hard jail time. and there buddies in the local court system would not be able to cover for them.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

I agree that this case should have been dealt with on a federal level. He probably would have had to serve jail time, especially with the evidence that he had also assaulted two other patrons at the bar the same day.

Unfortunately i don't think he'll face federal charges as the police superintendent has said he won't reccomend his case to federal authorities as he was off duty. So even though he says he doesn't think he should be a police officer, he is still protecting him.

But Weis said he was not going to recommend the officer's case to federal authorities because he was off-duty at the time. "I would be shocked if the Department of Justice pursued [the case]" he said.

Considering the fact that he committed three unprovoked assaults in that bar within the matter of six hours that day i don't understand the judges reasoning when he said this.....

He noted that Abbate had no prior criminal history, and his crime did not involve a handful of other factors that under the law would justify a sentence greater than probation.

It seems to me that two other assualts in the same bar, on the same day would constitute a handful of other factors, that would justify a jail term.

www.chicagobreakingnews.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join