It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

131 House Members Miss Surprise Vote!!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I'm puzzled to see so many people blaming the government for politicians being out of the Capitol, getting drunk, while amendments they had made were being debated.

These lazy, overpaid and irresponsible critters did have the choice of putting in the hours and joining in the debate.

It was their choice to leave the work to the others while they went off to relax.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

A few congressmen tried to do just that about during the Clinton years but it went nowhere.It was originally tried during FDR's reign and was voted down by his reps in congress. Both sides use this process for leverage and it never should have been allowed. Our founding fathers would turn over in their graves should they ever have seen this being done. If they were ever to come back some how, there would be duels on the mall over they way our present government is run because of the insult they would feel!

Yes - BOTH SIDES USE THIS PROCESS FOR LEVERAGE!!! This is not about Dems or Reps, this is about what the politicians do when they have their own - instead of The People's - interest in mind! Just so happens the Dems did it this time, is all.....

When are some going to get that the state of our country has NOTHING to do with one of the political parties - it has to do with BOTH?!?!? They are not their to look out for the people that elected them. They are there for their own agenda and it, apparently, has nothing to do with our Constitution or the well being of the people they represent. The government is crap and our Constitution gives The People the power to throw them out - forcefully, if need be!

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
The democrats ?
Please the republicans are the msot nefarious, corrupt organisation on earth :

Patriot Act :

Oohh another one

More republican corruption

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

No, but the NeoCons did routinely hold voting open until they pressured enough votes to pass their legislation. Highly irregular.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Great thread - thanks for bringing it out.

I'd like to know what was changed between when this bill passed at 6:25 pm, with only 17 members not voting, and when it was passed again at 9:01pm with 136 members not voting. Numbers here taken from Government websites (not Fox News)

www.govtrack.us...
Jun 18, 2009 6:25 PM House
Passed 259-157, 17 not voting

clerk.house.gov...
Jun 18, 2009 9:01 PM House
Democratic: Ayes 179; Noes 1; Not voting 81
Republican: Ayes 0; Noes 123; Not voting 55
TOTALS: Ayes 179; Noes 124; Not voting 136

By the way, here's a link to the legislation:
www.govtrack.us...
(Same as above, which showed the voting record)

[edit on 19-6-2009 by notreallyalive]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
an emergency war funding bill!whats that about?are they expecting a war maybe.dont they give enough already.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by notreallyalive
Great thread - thanks for bringing it out.

I'd like to know what was changed between when this bill passed at 6:25 pm, with only 17 members not voting, and when it was passed again at 9:01pm with 136 members not voting. Numbers here taken from Government websites (not Fox News)

As best I can tell....nothing passed at the 9:01 vote.

That vote was just to say that they would pick things up in the morning.

It was the Comittee trying to make a point by calling the congress to vote.
They were there giving required airtime to the 127 amendments while those that wrote the amendments went home, so they called a proceedural vote to get everyone to come back in....

Message: If you guys are going to slow down the passage of the bill with 127 amendments then you sure as hell aren't going to go home and leave us here working into the wee morning hours to give the required airtime to each amendment and not even be present for the debate on the very amendments you proposed...

The first debate on the first amendment took over an hour...126 to go...that makes for a long night while the congressmen who proposed the amendments are having drinks.

NO Sympathy for these guys having to work late on their own amendments....a taste of the real world for fat politicians.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

They don't make this easy to read! Specially with Fox News dramatizing and lying about the whole mess!

Here's the one line that shows you're right on that.

QUESTION: On Motion that the Committee Rise

If people were staying unofficially to discuss, why did they call for a vote in the first place? They call for a vote to not continue, when they had already agreed to not continue at 6:25?? Weird.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mekanic
reply to post by Rockpuck

Better idea. If you miss 5% of the votes, you are ineligible for re-election.

These people are supposed to be representing us, yet how many of them vote one way because they are of a certain party, or not vote at all because they just don't feel like it. The country would already be a better place if our own congress gave a crap about it, rather than lining their pockets with money from banks, corps, oil, etc.

I still say fire them all and start over, then they'll get the hint that the US citizens are serious about the future of our country.

I completely agree. Most of these guys don't even show up 5% of the time. WE pay THEM to show up and represent us. If they aren't showing up to vote on a bill that their constituents voices should be heard on, then they should have their pay docked, i.e. have to pay a fine. You don't keep any job in this country by frequently being absent or not showing up to pertinent meetings. I know at my job, my boss is fairly lenient with people missing work, here and there. But it's a much bigger deal if you miss a day that a meeting is scheduled for.

McCain missed 255 out of 450 votes. That's 57%!! Who in this country gets to keep their job and receive the same amount of pay for missing that much work!? ( I'm only picking on McCain because his missing votes was big news) Source

Think of the number of citizens who failed to have their voice heard because their candidate failed to show up for a vote.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Someone needs to introduce legislation that makes it impossible for ANY piece of legislation to be voted on unless there is at least 95% of the voters present at the time of the vote.

Simple enough, and I can think of no reason as to why that should not be the case?

How about we also require that they....read the bill before they vote on it...and not speed read but actually comprehensively read the bill. Congress makes me sick

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join