It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Germany getting ready to ban all violent video games

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
They allow violent films

Just saw this one....they don't.Even some (relatively)tame scenes have been removed from films...but are shown in the making of.....Gladiator,for instance.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Watch out the next thing they will censor is gonna be your telly with all the violent movies and the violent news from Iraq, afghanistan and what ever country the "Coalition of the Killing" are moving in on...

Best regards.

Loke.:.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
i was recently watching my 12 year old cousin playing call of Duty 4, the mission where you are in the c-130 gunship taking out a terrorist hideout. the graphics wre so life like. i was watching my cousin blowing up the terrorists and their mosques and it all seemed abit weird. surely this desensitizes kids from death and destruction. In real life the terrorist my cousin was mowing down with glee, are parents, sons , brothers. humans.

Now kids (even if they wear a military uniform) can control US drones and fire missiles into wedding parties in northern parkistan, using an xbox 360 remote.

so i dont think the games make you aggresive, but they do desensitize kids to the reality of death and war

ur very right on this one...
so i dont think the games make you aggresive, but they do desensitize kids to the reality of death and war

because once you play call of duty online ur first thought is omg how easy it is to get killed in a war..10ks god its a game...so ultimately games help people thanking God its not war..the rest whilst playing you dont kill with anger or agrresion ur just using skills like any other form of game so there is nothing wrong

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   
My wife, who's German, said that a few years ago, Germany tried to do this but it fell by the wayside. It'll probably do so again.

Since this is an election year, perhaps this is a ploy by a political party to try and garner some votes, especially after the Winnedam tragedy earlier this year.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
A few things need to be cleared up here.

Firstly, the majority of people who play games are adults, not children. The opposite may have been true in the 80s when this sterotype was formed, but it no longer is the case.

Violent games are usually off limits to minors, due to the ratings system. If an 8 year old is playing GTA4, which is rated 18, then the shop and parents are the guilty party, not the game.

The danger of holding Games (or Movies, or TV) responsible for criminality, rather than the individual, is a dangerous road to travel down. I personally, would be pretty annoyed if a criminal, who attacked me, got a lighter sentence simply for stating "I was playing GTA4" even though they are actually a dangerous psychopath who would happily do it anyway.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35

Germany in my mind no longer is a Democracy. A Democracy would allow for all forms of media to be free.

You do not understand what a democracy is then. A Democracy is a form of government run by the people. A government that the people vote to choose their laws and officials. Freedoms are not needed for it to be a democracy, it is the Germans who elected the officials who want to pass this law. They didn't have to vote for them.

On a side note, Germany never has really been the country of full freedoms. They have bans on Scientology, and are extremely persistent on keeping antisemitism and Nazism out of their country. Not that that's a bad thing, I'm just saying it's not as free as the USA.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join