It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Korea Sentences 2 U.S. Reporters to 12 Years Labor Prison

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by chise61
although i'm sure it probably wasn't anythimg major.

i dont know

if you came into my backyard sneaking around

i would think you were a criminal too

why cannot people understand this?

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
That is a very hefty penalty. The reporters had to know the consequences of their actions though. I wonder if North Korea will try to use them for some political leverage?

that is exactly what will happen

great foresight Karl

they are bargaining chips now for sure

*perhaps the main reason why they did not get executed*

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by chise61

They were talking to citizens of the state without formal permission or supervision. That is a serious crime in North Korea, for which other journalists have been imprisoned. Translation: spying, even if it is for a media outlet.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

You misread my post. I wasn't referring to the border crossing, i was referring to the other crime.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
These 2 reporters knew what they were getting into.
Honestly, they don't have any sympathy by me.
The case is more "high profile" now just because one is the sister of Lisa Ling.

Honestly, I don't know what these 2 were thinking.

North Korea will certainly use them as leverage, they would be stupid not to.

Hopefully they will eventually come back home in a few months.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Actually it cannot be confirmed if they actually crossed the border or were on the Chinese side of the border and snatched by an overzealous North Korean Patrol.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by haika

What they were doing was stupid in a sense but it needs to be done. That regime needs to GO for the good of their own people, and there is no way for that to happen without an internal revolution and documentation
of their crimes. They get rid of dissidents including those beyond their borders much like China has been documented to do, don't wait for too many refugees to speak out publicly.

Not to mention, they were doing their jobs, journalism is not about shaking hands, it's about shaking foundations.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by secretagent woooman

Ah i see, Thanks. I understand the sentence now. I watched a show the other year and saw the rules that reporters have to follow over there. Something like a reporter talking to someone over here is nothing to us, but yes it is a very serious crime over there. I hope they can be convinced to release them.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by secretagent woooman

It may be needed to be done, but what I'm saying is that they probably knew the consequences if they got caught.

They took that risk

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
This might sound harsh, but tough luck!

They crossed the border illegally into a country.

Everyone knows, when you go overseas and ignore the laws of those countries you face the consequences, no matter how harsh they may seem.

If only western countries where as tough as this on illegal’s into the country, they might be a lot better.

Mikey

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

Yey \o/ Al Gore FTW! I'll see your 2 captives and raise you an Al Gore, Hillary Clinton, Ben Bernanke, Lil' Timmy Geithner, Chris Dodd AND a Nanci Pelosi.

CALL? Heh. All I have is a handful of hope... and it failed. Just ace of spades.

Weak huh

top topics

<< 1   >>

join