It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bridging the gap to quantum world.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Well myself,I am not to hot when it comes to science.
But I thought this may be something of interest to those who may have an
interest in this particular area of science.

Also by seeing you guys/girls discussions I may then learn a bit more about
it myself.Trying to re educate my 39 y/o mind with reading some of the other threads on this board.

Scientists have "entangled" the motions of pairs of atoms for the first time. Entanglement is an effect in quantum mechanics, a relatively new branch of physics that is based more in probability than in classical laws.

BBC NEWS Science.Bridging the gap to quantum world.

It describes how properties of two or more objects can be inextricably linked over "vast" distances. The results, published in Nature, further bridge the gap between the world of quantum mechanics and the laws of everyday experience. This is the first time entanglement has been seen in a so-called "mechanical system".

[edit on 3/6/09 by gallifreyan medic]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I know the mods hate one liners, but I can only think of one word. AWESOME!!! S&F!!!!

[edit on 3-6-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I recommend everyone read the article.
This research is really exciting. There is no knowing where it can take us.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

My first reply.Thank you.
A star for yourself for being the first.Sorry no star for second post.
Oh thats me anyway.

After reading the article a couple of times,I then got what it was meaning.
It is something that the word awesome fits appropriately.
The future for our yet to be looks like it could be a bit more interesting.

Has this been something of recent thinking (Recent being late 20th century up til now) or has it been thought about for longer ?

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

I am still in training in getting my mind back to taking in science as I did back at school.But I can see it as an opening to many possibilities.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I'm smelling free energy!!

Remember Entropy (2nd law of thermodynamics) exists because of the random motion of atoms or molecules. If they can move in unison, that isn't so random motion anymore, thus, Entropy might become useless or even reversed!!

What's in it for us? Water in, cold water and energy out, clean, perfect and free energy for everyone! This isn't just a spectacle or a curious phenomenon, this discovery means a lot to our energy problems!!

[edit on 3-6-2009 by ahnggk]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by gallifreyan medic

Quantum entanglement lies at the very heart of quantum physics. To actually accomplish it for real in a lab is a mega-huge step! HUGE! This will literally change everything!

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by gallifreyan medic
Well myself,I am not to hot when it comes to science.
But I thought this may be something of interest to those who may have an
interest in this particular area of science.

Also by seeing you guys/girls discussions I may then learn a bit more about
it myself.Trying to re educate my 39 y/o mind with reading some of the other threads on this board.

Scientists have "entangled" the motions of pairs of atoms for the first time. Entanglement is an effect in quantum mechanics, a relatively new branch of physics that is based more in probability than in classical laws.

BBC NEWS Science.Bridging the gap to quantum world.

It describes how properties of two or more objects can be inextricably linked over "vast" distances. The results, published in Nature, further bridge the gap between the world of quantum mechanics and the laws of everyday experience. This is the first time entanglement has been seen in a so-called "mechanical system".

This is where science fails to be 100% accurate and Spirituality comes in to play.....We need them both to be able to advance ourselves as humans and to find out the truths.......

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Thanks for your posts guys/girls.

A new era on the horizan.
Fingers crossed for it be for all.

Apologese for this not being a big reply to you all.My noodle's still abit baked.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Very interesting findings, indeed.
Hopefully they can scale things up and find a practical use for resonant atomic structures like this.
No doubt these entanglements will have very specific benefits.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4N6310
Hopefully they can scale things up and find a practical use for resonant atomic structures like this.
No doubt these entanglements will have very specific benefits.

Like I said earlier, we can possibly make water do work by extracting heat - negative entropy. If entanglement can be done in macroscopic scale.

Imagine water, if quantum entanglement simultaneously happens in water, say water in a bucket or pan. It could jump up by itself, produce work, then turn into ice. All you have to do is let this frozen liquid melt by letting it stand in the room and apply quantum entanglement again. In this case, we are extracting work or energy without burning any fuel to create any heat, just room temperature would suffice!

Now apply quantum entanglement to liquid helium, then we should theoretically be able to extract energy down to temperatures approaching zero Kelvin!!!

This isn't 'Overunity' by the way, because we are simply extracting the ambient energy of the surroundings in the form of ambient heat through negative entropy. Once the surroundings has gone absolutely cold, or zero kelvin, energy productions stops so this doesn't violate the 1st law of energy.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
This is very exciting!

If you are new to quantum mechanics I recommend reading a little on entanglement and how it works. Probably wont see another development out of this new find for a few years, but it's always great to see they figured out more about how this stuff truly works.

Here is the wiki link to entanglement en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

The "spring" and its "resonance frequency" in my mind are an error because the attraction and then repulsion is due to two different forces (one of which that starts with a G which is ever confusing in quantum theory). The only thing I take away from this is that they have inadvertantly discovered how to put charge repulsion in perfect equilibrium with gravitational pull (lending credence to the idea that the two are in fact related at a wave level). Seeing as the magnesium ions are the base of the "entanglement", gravity is a factor. If they reversed this experiment and entangled the larger magnesium to the smaller beryllium or to a lesser effect, two atoms of the exact same size, I'll be amazed.

[edit on 9-6-2009 by Eitimzevinten]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Ciphor

Thank you for the link.
Im having to take it slow in reading up on it,as other commitments seem to be
never ending.But my library membership is going to be quite active again.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Eitimzevinten

Well I'm very early into this so I can't come to any conclusions on any of it.
That I'll leave to you guys and girls.
Hopefully though in time,I'll be up to speed and able to converse more about
this with you all.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

If, in your studies, you come across something that doesn't seem right, don't stress over it too much as it may infact be wrong. Nothing you are looking up has been completely proven. It is always good to get as much information from as many different sources as possible then form your own opinion. Putting all the information you gather into your own words will greatly help with an understanding of it.

[edit on 9-6-2009 by Eitimzevinten]

new topics

top topics

join