It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

55 whales beached in South Africa.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
More pilot-whales getting a Tan ?
I'm starting to wonder if there is something scaring these creates down there.
this isn't the first we hear about Beaching Whales...check it out .

55 whales beached in South Africa

CAPE TOWN, South Africa (AP) — Dozens of pilot whales beached Saturday morning near the storm-lashed tip of South Africa, prompting a massive rescue operation.
Rescuers were using six bulldozers to push the 55 whales back into the water, but "as soon as we put them back into the sea, they swim back to the beach again," said National Sea Rescue Institute spokesman Craig Lambinon.

One whale has died, and high winds and rough seas were frustrating the rescue attempts.

"It's not a very easy situation," Lambinon said.

Pilot whales, about 10 feet long, are fairly common around South Africa. There was no immediate explanation as to why they were beaching.

Hundreds of volunteers and onlookers flocked to the beach at Kommitjie, near Cape Point, and were blocking the main approach road. Lambinon appealed to the public to stay away.

Very short story but still, more whales ??

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I Hope that this doesnt mean another big earthqauke :O Im sure i read somewhere here that there might be a link between whales beaching themselves and eathqaukes. ill try and find the link for you
peace and love, thanks

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Free4Ever2

There's no link between earthquakes and whale beachings.

This research could give us an explanation to why they beach themselves:

www.biophysics.uwa.edu.au...

[edit on 30/5/09 by Chadwickus]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Interesting, And something to keep an eye on that is for sure...
I will also see what i can find on this aswell.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I do think this is an good oppertunity to find out, lets keep an eye out for another earthquake..

But I did think the whales, like birds are sensitive to magnetic and sonic waves.
Isnt that why the animals flee areas before EarthQuakes accure ?

The reflection contains important information about the location and features of the shoreline. The lack of reflections received from the coast would appear to be a ‘deaf spot’ to the cetaceans, analogous to the human ‘blind spot’. The coast may appear as thick 'fog' to the pod of cetaceans and may induce a navigational error.

I see where your at Chadwickus, they think the 'coast is clear', so to speak and end up on the bach instead..

[edit on 30-5-2009 by ChemBreather]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
i wonder if there is a radio tower nearby? or something similiar traveling through the air, that is attracting them to this point.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

Well there is a storm there at the moment, which is hampering rescue efforts.

It could also be a contributing factor for the stranding as well.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
It looks like something messes up the whales' navigation system.

It's tragic when these things happen, but I'm happy there are some human beings decent enough to help rescue the whales.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

I was thinking the same thing. I know the military does things with sonar and radio waves..I wonder if there is any correlation?

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I was reading about the military use of sonar waves and its possible effect on the whales beaching themselves. At the moment that seems to make the most sense to me. I have heard a ton of arguements that the lead whale will be sick or something and the other "lower ranking" whales will follow. That has never made much sense to me as I would think that the other whales would know that there was something wrong with one of them. I think that we, as humans, completely underestimate the intelligence of other forms of life. Take dolphins, they without a doubt know when one of them is in danger or ill, sheesh they even know when we are in danger. Perhaps there was some underwater testing going on in the area and they raced out as fast as they could.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
My heart is just crushed, I am so sad about this. I found the link and felt it needed to be in the fragile earth section and here it is.

I just cant stand it. WHAT is causing our oceans to become the place of fear for so many sentient sea creatures?

Being raised on the beach my heart just breaks for this change in the once serene and undisturbed bosom of Mother Ocean.

I spoke with the head of the War dept. in Sandiego a few years back and he told me in conversation that he was so pissed when people said that it was them that were killing the sea creatures, I did not think of it at the time, but what if it is not man made? what if it is something more sinister than man if that is possible?

My heart is just sick. I cant stand it. The article also makes me think that the killings the murders were not necessary! Too many witnesses and they say "Let them seek Counseling if it disturbed them."

There are people who could have benifitted by the deaths but NO they want to toss the Carcasses as they put it into a Frigging LANDFILL!

ARGGG I am opening some wine and just going to get a buzzz.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Wales beach often along the South African coast line-But it is unusual for so many. Nature can be weird sometimes

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
COULD THE NUCLEAR DETONATIONS HAVE CAUSED THIS???

Is it possible that the oceans are heating up so fast that it is causing them to choose death over burning up due to underwater volcanos or something? Is it a sound vibration? Is it the shifting of the earths axis?

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I dedicate this video to the people who witnessed the murder of the 44 Whales on the beach and to the Whales themselves because I know what happens to my brother happens to me.

www.youtube.com...

Blessings, Namaste.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
I dedicate this video to the people who witnessed the murder of the 44 Whales on the beach and to the Whales themselves because I know what happens to my brother happens to me.

www.youtube.com...

Blessings, Namaste.

Before I say what I am about to say, let me tell you this. I love all life! Every little critter on this planet is special and deserves to live. (except for mosquitoes... I really don't like mosquitoes..)

When a whale is beached, it is a very horrible experience for the whale. Whales weigh a lot!! They are heavy beasts! They just could not get these creatures back into the water!

If these whales where not put down, they would have had to experience an excruciating death drying out in the sun. A manner of demise that no living creature deserves to endure. I know you do not want to hear this, but killing them was just the right thing to do. They where shot right through the brain cavity and therefore did not feel a thing. We did them a favor by them not having to suffer.

"The most humane way to perform euthanasia on whales is to shoot them through the brain and this was successfully performed on those whales suffering on the beach. We wish to stress emphatically that the most humane effort was employed to prevent further suffering of these animals,"

You call it murder, I call it mercy. And I hope that where you unable to save an animal from a horrible, painful, tortuous death that you would have the strength to do the same! It is a horrible thing that happened here! Even though it matters what caused it, the cause could not save these beautiful creatures at this point. They did the most merciful thing they could! These whales where not killed for sport! They where not killed for food! They where killed for the sake of mercy!

new topics

top topics

join