It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trying to keep YWHW a secret....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
www.catholicculture.org...

www.diocese-kcsj.org...

www.catholicnewsagency.com...

In order that the word of God written in the sacred texts may be conserved and transmitted in an integral and faithful manner, every modern translation of the books of the Bible aims at being a faithful and accurate transposition of the original texts. Such a literary effort requires that the original text be translated with the maximum integrity and accuracy, without omissions or additions with regard to the contents, and without introducing explanatory glosses or paraphrases which do not belong to the sacred text itself. COMMITTEE ON DIVINE WORSHIP

8 August 2008

Your Eminence / Your Excellency,

it follows

The Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments has sent the attached
letter containing several directives on the use of “the Name of God” in the Sacred Liturgy.

We welcome this guidance on the use of particular terminology for the Divine Name, as it helps
to emphasize the theological accuracy of our language and appropriate reverence for the Name of
God so consistent in our tradition. While the directives contained here do not force any changes
to official liturgical texts, including our continuing work of the translation of the Missale
Romanum, editio typica tertia, which already follow the spirit of the directives, there may be
some impact on the use of particular pieces of liturgical music in our country as well as in the
composition of variable texts such as the General Intercessions for the celebration of the Mass
and the other sacraments.

Notwithstanding such a clear norm, in recent years the practice has crept in of pronouncing the God of Israel's proper name, known as the holy or divine Tetragrammaton, written with four consonants of the Hebrew alphabet in the form (see PDF file), YHWH. The practice of vocalizing it is met with both in the reading of biblical texts taken from the Lectionary as well as in prayers and hymns, and it occurs in diverse written and spoken forms such as, for example, Yahweh, Yahwe, Jahweh, Jahwe, Jave, Yehovah, etc. It is therefore our intention with the present letter to set out some essential facts which lie behind the above-mentioned norm and to establish some directives to be observed in this matter.

2. The venerable biblical tradition of sacred Scripture, known as the Old Testament, displays a series of divine appellations, among which is the sacred name of God revealed in the Tetragrammaton YHWH (see PDF file). As an expression of the infinite greatness and majesty of God, it was held to be unpronounceable and hence was replaced during the reading of sacred Scripture by means of the use of an alternate name: Adonai, which means Lord.

This instruction from the Congregation provides also an opportunity to offer catechesis for the
faithful as an encouragement to show reverence for the Name of God in daily life, emphasizing
the power of language as an act of devotion and worship.

Sincerely yours in Christ,

Most Rev. Arthur J. Serratelli
Bishop of Paterson
Chairman

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
The above are quotes found in the links posted at the top

It appears that the Catholic Church wants to put God's name back under the carpet, what would be the purpose?
The claim is to honor old traditions

But the reality is, that if God's name and Jesus are both translated "LORD" then there will be no difference betwene the two

Here is a good link right here at BTS with an indepth study on God's name

www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I've been loosing alot of respect for the Catholic Church as of late. So I can't really respond to this post with out my feelings getting into the way. So I'll just leave it at thanks for sharing.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by dthwraith

Well, I know very little about them, in the past I have had two girlfriends that were raised in it, they never wanted to discuss bible topics

I came accross this and just had to share...

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I made a video about this not too long ago.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I agree that this is something everyone should be alarmed about.
We are expected to just water down our religion for the sake of political correctness.
Next, they will pass a law, making it illegal to say the word.
Oh and better find a new name for your organization.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
What's really gonna be scary is if the U.S. ever adopts the veiwpoints of places like Somalia and N.Korea, and also Afganistan I think it is, where the preaching work is outlawed. Actually illeagal to proclaim the news about God's kindom

But yeah, I imagine if some had their way Jehovah's Witnesses would't be able bare/bear (both meanings, to declare, and wear) his name the way they do...quite a real possibility

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcouncil=wisdom

Hi.
I am not a jehovah's witness.
I lived with one for 10 years. tried to deprogram her, did not work.
But I still think you should be able to use "jehovah".
I want to live in a free county.

[edit on 28-5-2009 by sterno]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
catholics=satan and his demons
jk but seriously cmon catholics PICK UP YOUR BIBLES!!!!!!

new topics

top topics

join