It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WHO to stop using term 'swine flu' to protect pigs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
If that's what it is, then why stop calling it that?

GENEVA – The World Health Organization announced Thursday it will would stop using the term "swine flu" to avoid confusion over the danger posed by pigs. The policy shift came a day after Egypt began slaughtering thousands of pigs in a misguided effort to prevent swine flu.

WHO spokesman Dick Thompson said the agriculture industry and the U.N. food agency had expressed concerns that the term "swine flu" was misleading consumers and needlessly causing countries to ban pork products and order the slaughter of pigs.

"Rather than calling this swine flu ... we're going to stick with the technical scientific name H1N1 influenza A," Thompson said.

Egypt began slaughtering its roughly 300,000 pigs Wednesday even though experts said swine flu is not linked to pigs and not spread by eating pork. Angry farmers protested the government degree.

Yahoo News

[edit on 30-4-2009 by timewalker]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

I'm sorry thats a little funny, egypt just goes out all the sudden and kills 300,000 pigs. WOW! They don't waste any time.

I was kind of worried to, because for the past two weeks i've been eating bacon, nonstop, along with other food.

I still can't see people going around say "Hey, did you hear, bob got H1N1 Influenza A." "Oh no, he got H1N1 Influenza A!"

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I just read another persons thread that they own a farm and the owner bought a hog and came down with a sickness right after. If this is true then maybe the pigs should be slaughtered as a precaution.

See thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
A better way to protect pigs would be to abolish the practice of factory farming. Keeping them in pens so tiny that they can't even turn around is cruelty and depletes their own immune systems.

www.globalresearch.ca...

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by elfie

Thank you Elfie

Humans stick them in pens and treat them like crap, then go and kill them all to protect them selves.

The whole system is crap. Not to mention the low vibration and cancer that nasty meat causes.

The name should be changed to Global Fake Out Flu, imo.

edit for ding a ling spelling

[edit on 30-4-2009 by blujay]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Where are the animal rights activists when ya need them?

Oh yea, it's just a pig, not a cute cuddly polar bear or baby seal.

300,000 pigs slaughtered, and people starving.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Its already a military order to call it the N1H1 virus and not call it the swine flu.

The order came all the way from the DOD.

This isn't something I can show you. My wife who is active duty told me about it yesterday and today my reserve unit sent a mass email out.

Funny how this came about after some Israeli Prime Minister (or someone to that nature) complained that the name was offensive.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

No, no, no the hog farmers were complaining, people are afraid to buy the pork.

profits

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Funny how this came about after some Israeli Prime Minister (or someone to that nature) complained that the name was offensive.

They wouldn't care, they and Muslims don't like piggies,

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Yes, it's a bloody shame they started with that name in the first place.

Hopefully it was a humane slaughter, but I highly doubt it.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Actually it was Israel the one that came out first to said that the "name swine flu" was offensive to the Israeli people and the Islamic people and that the name needed to be change.

This was in the media during the weekend.

I guess they got away with it.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Actually it was Israel the one that came out first to said that the "name swine flu" was offensive to the Israeli people and the Islamic people and that the name needed to be change.

This was in the media during the weekend.

I guess they got away with it.

Wow seriously, do you have a link?

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
jta.org...

Ok so to be kosher, one must avoid saying the word pig or swine, or

I hate life.

sheeeese

US pig farmers want a flu by any other name

www.google.com...

I spend my life trying not to offend people.

[edit on 053030p://bThursday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Yes,

Israeli official: Swine flu name offensive

JERUSALEM – The outbreak of swine flu should be renamed "Mexican" influenza in deference to Muslim and Jewish sensitivities over pork, said an Israeli health official Monday.

Deputy Health Minister Yakov Litzman said the reference to pigs is offensive to both religions and "we should call this Mexican flu and not swine flu," he told a news conference at a hospital in central Israel.

Both Judaism and Islam consider pigs unclean and forbid the eating of pork products.

news.yahoo.com...

new topics

top topics

join