It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US declares public health emergency for swine flu

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

The Mexican government indicated that the outbreak was more severe than originally acknowledged, announcing that more than 1,300 people are believed to have been infected. The virus, which the World Health Organization's top official said had "pandemic potential," is now suspected in the deaths of 81 Mexicans, Health Secretary Jose Angel Cordova said. Also Saturday, the Mexican government gave itself extraordinary powers to quarantine and forcibly treat infected people and to search homes and intercept suspected flu sufferers on public transport. The emergency decree follows measures that have included the closing of schools in the worst-affected areas until May 6, and the temporary shutdown of museums, clubs and theaters in Mexico City. Hundreds of concerts, private parties and other events were canceled as federal and local officials urged people to avoid large gatherings.

www.latimes.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I hear pressurised aircraft are particularly effective in spreading viruses. If one person on board has it, then you all get it as the air on board is repeatedly circulated.

[edit on 26/4/09 by Myrdyn]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9f7099e12c8d.jpg[/atsimg]
Source : CDC

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
What happens if news breaks of numerous deaths in the USA that are blamed on this swine flu?

The last thing we need in this country is a health crisis that creates a panic which could lead to closures, quarantines etc.

Things are bad enough already with the economic crisis.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Just saw this on the BBC News site.
Mexico flu: Your Experiences

Scary stories from local doctors, etc saying that outdoor events are being cancelled and that death rates are worse than being reported.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myrdyn
I hear pressurised aircraft are particularly effective in spreading viruses. If one person on board has it, then you all get it as the air on board is repeatedly circulated.

Yes, by recirculating air more often airlines can cut fuel costs by not having to move air in and out of the plane. The 757 is one of the worsts in terms of air quality.

You best bet is to wear an N-95 mask. We were on a transpacific flight were someone had TB. We did not get it but since then I always take one with me and if someone starts coughing away I will have no problem with putting it on.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by visible_villain

Yep, known cases at this point however, given the incubation period it may spike up. Im hoping that it stablizes and we dont see a huge spike.

If we start getting fatalities then we may see people start to panic a bit.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

But it was the Authorities which stated

Officials reported 20 U.S. cases of swine flu in five states so far, with the latest in Ohio and New York. Unlike in Mexico where the same strain appears to be killing dozens of people, cases in the United State have been mild — and U.S. health authorities can't yet explain why

The authorites have said that the cases inside the US have been mild, and they have made no suggestion of it having anything to do with treatment.

I am just going off what I read, the same strain appears to be mild and the health authorities can't explain why.
You would have thought that lack of medical treatment would have been the first thing that was thought about?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

Its possible that the virus has mutated a bit. H5N1 does this as well. Im going with lack of health care untill I get more evidence. While we are getting counts, we are not getting tons of detail either from Mexico or at least it not being published yet.

They also have tons of survivors at this point so perhaps thier fatalites occured in the most vulnerable populations like the elderly or young.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66
From the article itself it would appear to only be fatal to mexicans and only gives a mild case of the flu to others.

That is what bugs me about this, I haven't seen anyone really answer that in a factual way.

I find it hard to believe that the medical system in Mexico is so broken down that so many can die from this there and because the American medical care is so much more superior that infected Americans only have mild symptoms.

Excuse me but BULL#!

Don't buy it.

Sorry, I guess I picked a really bad time to catch a cold.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
The economy is already planned to go poop.

This flu thing is a threat to life.

I am really glad I am not a productive member of society. I can quarintine myself without have to worry about bills and losing my home.

What the biggest problem of them all is. Everyone is worried about their jobs and their money, which will make this thing much more worse.

If you believe 100% in the grand conspiracy. You wouldn't give a crap about your money or playing your bills. You would protect yourself and your family first.

Then again, the USD is our god... Death is upon us.

[edit on 26-4-2009 by sticky]

[edit on 26-4-2009 by sticky]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Yep, known cases at this point however, given the incubation period it may spike up. Im hoping that it stablizes and we dont see a huge spike.

The 'demography' is interesting nonetheless -- 'widely distributed' hot spots, if you will.

I'm sure the MSM will 'carefully coordinate' their reporting on this, but if one skillfully 'reads between the lines' perhaps there will be 'much to learn' from this 'softening up' exercise ...

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Apparently the public service messages that are being broadcast in the effected areas are saying that most cases are in the 20-50 age group. That age group would seem to be more resilient than the very young or old, but is also more likely to be exposed in public places.

The truth is that it is very strange, what we are living through here. The streets are empty, we are all staying in our houses. People are only going out to the hospitals, drugstores and to buy food. The great majority have their mouths covered. Concerts, festivals, masses have all been cancelled, the football matches have all been played behind closed doors. On the television and radio, every commercial break contains information on the symptoms, saying that if you have them to go to the doctor at once. Although we have been told to go to work as normal on Monday, I am worried because I am employed at a company where there are many people and believe that it could be highly contagious. They say on the news that the cases that are most critical involve people aged 20 to 50.
Nallely T, State of Mexico

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by candide

Scary stories from local doctors, etc saying that outdoor events are being cancelled and that death rates are worse than being reported.

Pretty horrifying tales from Mexico.

But I do find the theories (from other posters) about the heat taking a toll on those who are ill. Who knows, I'm just afraid of waking up tomorrow morning to discover many citizens of the United States are sick and dying. I know some are ill now but...what is going to come out of this?

The last thing to do however is stay inside your home and be afraid of the outside world. Go out, enjoy life and don't fear Everyone's health status.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I also heard from someone that the treatment that was given a patient made the patient worse while the husband did just fine with no treatment whosoever, some sort of inhalant.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
you can get it from touching raw pork but its okay to eat it once it is cooked.Personally I will not be touchng it or eating it.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by spec_ops_wannabe
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

You will have to keep in mind how different the environments are in Mexico and the USA regions that have been infected. The warmer climates may be what the virus needs in order to be effective whereas it may lose it's strength as it moves northward to cooler climates in the States. So it may not even be losing it's strength but just that it's not as effective here.

This is actually the part of this that is concerning me. Influenza usually strives in COLDER weather and dies out as the average temperature increases. I'm very concerned by the fact that this sprang up in a very warm climate and is spreading in a warm season.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by GorehoundLarry

Originally posted by candide

Pretty horrifying tales from Mexico.

But I do find the theories (from other posters) about the heat taking a toll on those who are ill. Who knows, I'm just afraid of waking up tomorrow morning to discover many citizens of the United States are sick and dying. I know some are ill now but...what is going to come out of this?

The last thing to do however is stay inside your home and be afraid of the outside world. Go out, enjoy life and don't fear Everyone's health status.

I definately don't agree with this post. My intuition says that this action will only cause more of an outbreak and a much higher death toll. People are walking around with it that have no idea they are human incubators.

I have always been a germ freak, but this just sealed my door shut. If you can. When you hear about the first death in the US, I would definately quarintine yourself for the next 2 weeks at least. Or, trust the media and cross your fingers.

Apparently i'm no expert at anything but fear mongering.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Scary thought.Maybe a way to lower the population.Get rid of the eldery and sick who could get this and it be fatal. Sounds like a horror movie.I hope this goes away fast!!!reply to post by GorehoundLarry

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Hmm. This is odd. Perhaps FEMA is getting ready to test out its new government? I think it's odd that this is happening, then all of a sudden Obama is pushing more money for antivirus vaccines.

Either the goal here is to get us all "inoculated" and we all get the mind-control juice, or it's a ploy to close the borders and kill the immigrants. Start a big enough uproar, and "maddened" "civilians" will start shooting people crossing over from Mexico. Even at border patrol checkpoints.

I don't like this.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join