It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biotechnology Company Provided Advance Warning of Mexican H1N1 "Swine Flu" Virus Outbreak

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
www.prweb.com...

Replikins, Ltd. published a FluForecast® warning in April 7th, 2008, a year before the recent Mexico and California H1N1 cases. The company was able to state the likelihood of H1N1 outbreaks based on its patented Replikin Count™ genomics technology, which examines specific regions in virus genes which have been linked with past epidemics. The April 2008 announcement, attached below as published on the Web, stated that in H1N1 the company had then detected the highest concentrations of these specific regions ever seen, except for those from the 1918 pandemic which killed millions of people. Today, the company is actively pursuing licensing partnerships to apply its groundbreaking technology not only to early warning systems, but also to the development of synthetic vaccines to prevent or slow future epidemics. A synthetic H1N1 Replikins Vaccine is available for testing, and related products are described below and on the company's website.

(PRWEB) April 25, 2009 -- Replikins, Ltd. published a FluForecast® warning in April 7th, 2008, a year before the recent Mexico and California H1N1 cases. The company was able to state the likelihood of H1N1 outbreaks based on its patented Replikin Count™ genomics technology, which examines specific regions in virus genes which have been linked with past epidemics.

The April 2008 announcement, attached below as published on the Web, stated that in H1N1 the company had then detected the highest concentrations of these specific regions ever seen, except for those from the 1918 pandemic which killed millions of people. Today, the company is actively pursuing licensing partnerships to apply its groundbreaking technology not only to early warning systems, but also to the development of synthetic vaccines to prevent or slow future epidemics.

i thought this might deserve its own thread because it might be something to look into deeper.
i really hope someone isnt trying to make a buck off this flu outbreak in any devious ways.

[edit on 25-4-2009 by elitegamer23]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I posted this on another thread. It may belong here instead. Thank you.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Why does the 'gubmint' scare people with pandemics?
I asked that very question! Some little pills I dug up.....

While expecting Aventis and Chiron's presentations to promote sales of their products, one does not expect the government to admit how it intentionally provides the media with disinformation to promote flu scare and the flu vaccine remedy.

Source- www.proliberty.com...

The government scares us into beliving things are bad for us so they can make laws against anything they dont like and so Americans will have less and less freedoms.

Source- answers.yahoo.com...
www.health.state.mn.us...

The tradeoff between security and civil liberties has received a tremendous amount of public attention because the media has decided to give it a tremendous amount of attention; the risk if a pandemic has received little public attention at least in part because the press doesn't like to report on it nearly as much.

Source- www.volokh.com...
www.hsph.harvard.edu...
conspiracy.freewebspace.com...

Meanwhile, the "Biodefense and Pandemic Vaccine and Drug Development Act of 2005" (S. 1873), recently passed out of the U.S. Senate HELP Committee one day after it was introduced. The National Vaccine Information Center (NVIC) is calling the bill "a drug company stockholder's dream and a consumer's worst nightmare." This bill, spurred by bird flu fears, will broadly eliminate corporate liability for vaccines and drugs. This bill will soon go to the full Senate for a vote.

Source- articles.mercola.com...
www.dhhs.gov...
I wouldn't get too scared just yet! It'll take the heat off the banks anyway!

I agree with the majority on here. Sumpin' dont quiet smell right.
Kinda like the whole anthrax thing....
As you can tell I love to read into this stuff!

[edit on 25-4-2009 by dodadoom]

+10 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Listen guys. This is the big one. As a micro/ molecular biologist for one of the largest biotech firms in the world, I feel pretty confident in sending a warning to anyone who will listen.

Avoid, avoid, avoid largely populated areas. (large cities, malls, clubs etc.)

Remember or ever heard of the Spanish flu that killed nearly half a million americans in 1918? It was the last large epidemic of the swine flu. Swine flu is far WORSE than bird flu as it can be passed person to person by the respiratory pathway. This thing is going to spread like WILDFIRE. The only hope we have, as a whole human race, is the fact that its been discovered in semi-remote areas, and not somewhere like NY or LA.

Three- four months ago everyone at my place of work received epidemic flu preparation pamphlets that basically detailed what to do when this does happen. (so they knew it was coming).

The outbreak itself is not the bad part here guys. H1N1 is only one of three major types of swine flu. Usually these three types fall into either Flu A or Flu C... but I have heard through the grapevine that this mutated strain will be falling into the Flu B category for the first time in the Swine Flu history. What does this mean for you and I, were all #ed. Thats exactly what it means.

According to the CDC, you need to start preparing, here is what they suggest:

_discourage large gatherings. Schools and businesses will close, sporting events could be canceled and transportation limited.
-Hospitals will be overloaded and doctors and nurses WILL BE SICK. Be prepared to be cared for in your own home.
-Stock a one week supply of food, water and medicines
---Drinking Water
---Non-perishables
---First Aid
---battery powered radio, generator etc

Each one of your states should already have a pandemic flu plan (no joke, they knew it was REALLY coming) and a pandemic flu site. If they do not, you can go to ohiopandemicflu.gov and check it out.

I am not joking here people. Millions of us are about to die. Millions. Will it be you? Someone you love? Its time to start taking the steps to ensure you have a future on this earth.

Your saying to yourself, its 7 cases in texas and mexico... I live in NY, its never going to spread this far that fast. WRONG. So very wrong. With today's modern transportation, coupled with incubation times of the swine flu. It already probably is in NY, and LA, and europe. BC those 7 people DEFINITELY DEFINITELY DEFINITELY made contact with roughly 100 people a day while they were incubating and unaware of symptoms for 3-7 days! Some of those people travel, and with the speed of modern transportation, spread it to another 300-400 people while still incubating.

Listen, people you know and love are most likely already infected. Its time to start thinking about yourself, and your immediate loved ones. I do not want to be a harbinger of death on these boards, but it really is time. This is the big one. Don't be caught with your dick in your hands.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by retroviralsounds

Your post is the scariest thing.
Thanks, I think.

uk.reuters.com...

LOS ANGELES, April 24 (Reuters) - The swine flu outbreak is likely to benefit one of the most prolific and successful venture capital firms in the United States: Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Thomson Reuters Private Equity Week reported on Friday.

Shares of the two public companies in the firm's portfolio of eight Pandemic and Bio Defense companies -- BioCryst Pharmaceuticals (BCRX.O) and Novavax (NVAX.O) -- jumped Friday on news that the swine flu killed a reported 60 people in Mexico and has infected people in the United States.

www.kpcb.com...

www.novavax.com...

www.biocryst.com...

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Does anyone else think it is a little suspicious that this virus is reported to be a cross between two swine viruses from different continents? I don't think it is unnatural for an avian, human and swine cross. What has my red flag going up is the detail that the swine virus is from two different continents. Maybe it happened naturally, but my suspicio-meter is pinging from it.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Forget the numbers and statistics for now. Especially since this pandemic has started in Mexico, who has a very, very poor health system. You can immediately take any statistics you are seeing about this outbreak and multiply them by 10 to account for unaccounted or wrongfully diagnosed cases.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   

I thought the 1918 flu was an avian strain of flu?
Also didnt we have a swine flu scare in the 70"s?
what is the difference?

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
1918 500,000+ die from spanish flu (swine flu, not bird flu). I never got why people were so affraid of bird flu, it DOES NOT SPREAD FROM HUMAN TO HUMAN (yet at least). Swine flu is rapidly spreading from HUMAN TO HUMAN.

1976? I think, a small outbreak of swine flu. But already NOTHING compared to rapidity of this.

The WHO is freaking, the CDC is freaking... its a resistant virus, with no vaccine, thats transmissible from human to human and most importantly IS ATTACKING AND KILLING YOUNG HEALTHY ADULTS. Thats when pandemics start. Usually only the young, weak and elderly are killed off, but this thing is nasty, and it is taking out the best, and the healthiest in society.

This is it. This will be the great crash. Famine, War, Plauge, Anarchy, Chaos. This is really it.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
retroviralsounds,
While I've gained extensive education in the field of biology and took an interest in viruses, I am far from an expert. I teach English as a second language and repaired aircraft in my last gig. I never used my biology knowledge for anything practical.
So, I want to ask you about what has me thinking. What do you think about this virus being a combination of two swine viruses from different continents? Does this happen naturally?

[edit on 25-4-2009 by tamusan]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Oh god yes. Influenza of ANY strain mutates at an extremely high rate. This is why most of the time, the flu vaccine is worthless. There is no way to tell what strain (or quasispecies) is going to be prevalent in any given year.

Influenza belongs to the orthomyxoviridae family, meaning it has an RNA genome. RNA replication in viruses lacks proof reading function. So when the genomes are copied to be replicated to create new viruses inside the host cell etc. many, many errors are incorperated into the genome, making daughter viruses genetically different from the parent virus. What happens is the lines between strains and even groups of flu (A, B or C) become blurred. The viruses are classed into groups of possible genetic mutations/ genetic differences called quasispecies. So when you hear H1N1 (the H represents hemaglutinin number is a type, N represents neuramindase followed by type number... these are the surface proteins that are used to bind to host cells and vary by strain) that is not one particular strain of virus. It is actually a conglomeration of almost subtypes and at their genetic core (conserved regions... regions that do not change ever in replication) are the same, but have highly variable regions that change with nearly every replication. These quasispecies are grouped together by region, host range etc. since each experiences slightly different conditions from day to day (environmental interactions) their genomes are slightly different from each other. These viruses basically have their own 'genetic fingerprints' each one is similar, but different enough for it to not be considered 'same'.

When two flu strains interact, it is known they can switch, or mimic the other surface proteins (H, N) of the other virus.

But yes, it happens naturally, every day, every minute, every second this virus is replicating. It being a combination of two, really doesn't change anything at all... just about every flu virus is probably a combination of something.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I think you did not understand my question, but thank you for the excellent primer.

Let me try to ask a different way. If 2 avian strains from different continents were to combine, or two human strains from different continents were to combine, I could rationalize how that happened and not be suspicious. What I am asking is if it is common for 2 swine strains from different continents to naturally combine? I can see a swine strain combining with an avian or human strain and then being carried to combine with the other swine strain. I am just trying to rationalize if this is natural or if it was man-made. Right now, the only evidence I can see for man-made is the combination of the two swine strains. In your opinion, should I drop the man-made thought and accept natural or is the combination strange?

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   

I very much appreciate you risking the wrath of others to post what you feel to be fact...I am west of San Antonio in Texas and am absolutely going to "step up" my game and get my house in order just in case.

Shall I mention that it's "Fiesta" in San Antonio and the parade tonight is expected to draw upward of 200,000 people along the downtown streets all clustered together,many whose relatives from Mexico will no doubt be in attandance as well.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
absolutely not, I mean I guess there is a slight chance it is man made... but no, I don't think so at all. I haven't even heard much about it being a combination strain, if you could please find me some evidence/ articles of that and I will gladly research them.

To support the man made theory though, we ARE pretty damn prepared for this... we knew it was coming. The CDC/ WHO/ HHS has been preaching for nearly a year (even running commercials on TV) about pandemic flu. And now its looking to be a reality. Probably just a statistical coincidence.

And its not what I think to be true. I am a microbiology/ molecular biologist, my job, day in and day out for the majority of 6 years has been to study virus genomes and quasispecies. Especially ones that are relevant to global health concerns and bio-threat agents.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by irishchic

Shall I mention that it's "Fiesta" in San Antonio and the parade tonight is expected to draw upward of 200,000 people along the downtown streets all clustered together,many whose relatives from Mexico will no doubt be in attandance as well.

Yikes! That's such bad timing, strange timing.... some kind of disturbing timing.
Be well.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
"This is the first time that we've seen an avian strain, two swine strains and a human strain," said Daigle, adding that the virus had influenza strains from European and Asian swine, but not from North American swine.

Is that the kind of information you mean? Not very descriptive. I ran across the same information on many MSM sites. I just randomly chose this one.

Ok. anyways. I am resigning from the man-made paranoia for now and just going with the Oh-no, a bad flu mindset.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by retroviralsounds

I am not joking here people. Millions of us are about to die. Millions. Will it be you? Someone you love? Its time to start taking the steps to ensure you have a future on this earth.

Well it looks like the FEMA camps and coffins will soon be activated.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
ive always kept in my mind the warning joe biden gave a crowd in seattle about obama being tested in the first 6 months of his presidency. i wonder if his warning could have been about such an event as a world wide pandemic.

blogs.suntimes.com...

And here's the point I want to make. Mark my words. Mark my words. It will not be six months before the world tests Barack Obama like they did John Kennedy. The world is looking. We're about to elect a brilliant 47-year old senator president of the United States of America. Remember I said it standing here if you don't remember anything else I said. Watch, we're gonna have an international crisis, a generated crisis, to test the mettle of this guy. And he's gonna have to make some really tough - I don't know what the decision's gonna be, but I promise you it will occur. As a student of history and having served with seven presidents, I guarantee you it's gonna happen. I can give you at least four or five scenarios from where it might originate. And he's gonna need help. And the kind of help he's gonna need is, he's gonna need you, not financially to help him, we're gonna need you to use your influence, your influence within the community, to stand with him. Because it's not gonna be apparent initially, it's not gonna be apparent that we're right. Because all these decisions, all these decisions, once they're made if they work, then they weren't viewed as a crisis. If they don't work, it's viewed as you didn't make the right decision, a little bit like how we hesitated so long dealing with Bosnia and dealing with Kosovo, and consequently 200,000 people lost their lives that maybe didn't have to lose lives. It's how we made a mistake in Iraq. We made a mistake in Somalia. So there's gonna be some tough decisions. They may emanate from the Middle East. They may emanate from the sub-continent. They may emanate from Russia's newly-emboldened position because they're floating in a sea of oil."

kinda scary how the 6 month time frame is running out of time while this crap is starting to happen. just look at how sure he was something major was going to happen.

Mark my words. Mark my words. It will not be six months before the world tests Barack Obama like they did John Kennedy.

Watch, we're gonna have an international crisis, a generated crisis, to test the mettle of this guy. And he's gonna have to make some really tough - I don't know what the decision's gonna be, but I promise you it will occur.

I guarantee you it's gonna happen.

joe what were you talking about exactly?

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I think I just made the connection I was looking for. Check out a company called TOPIGS from The Netherlands. Their business is pigs and they operate in 30 countries.
This puts TOPIGS in Mexico.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I couldn't say whether this present epidemic will be "the one". It could, theoretically, turn into a pandemic similar to the one in 1917-1918. That was a devastating event killing more people than the wars in that century.

I don't see a government plot in this. *IF* a pandemic breaks out like the Great Influenza, it will be a worldwide disaster. Hundreds of millions of people, predominately the young and healthy, will likely die. The deadly flu somehow managed to turn a person's immune system against him. Those with the most robust immune systems - young, healthy people - were the most likely to die.

There is no mystery that a drug company could give advanced warning about a flu epidemic. The companies who develop flu vaccines have to start very early, long before the flu takes hold. They have to try to guess which strain will become most active, and start the process of creating enough vaccine to immunize millions of people. that takes months. Of course the company would be quick to point out that they have a vaccine for the current flu. That's how they make their money. I don't see them actually infecting people, just to sell product. Not that they're too *moral* to do it, but simply the risks are just too great.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Some of the posts on ATS I think are from lunatics and are entertaining; some are from political partisan idiots regurgitating worthless political spin. But this swine flu outbreak is indeed scary and it's going to get worse. We need to know everything we can about this strain. I think this genuinely has the potential to be a world wide catastrophe by next winter, and I'm one who normally scoffs at such ideas. Not this time.

Good find and a star for you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join