It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious U.S. Swine Flu Probe Widens as Mexico Finds Swine Flu *updated*

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   
So we have a flu that breaks out and is reported as unusual and ongoing in Mexico...and at the same time a flu that is a genetic mix!!! It is genetically different from the fully human H1N1 seasonal influenza virus that has been circulating globally for the past few years. The new flu virus contains DNA typical to avian, swine and human viruses!?

www.alertnet.org...

What is going on here?

An urgent probe into an unusual flu outbreak that’s infected seven people in the U.S. was widened after Mexico sought assistance to investigate more than 130 cases of severe respiratory disease that may be related.

Authorities in Mexico asked the Public Health Agency of Canada to help identify the cause of the lung illness linked to 20 deaths, including two in the state of Baja California Norte, which borders California. The Mexican cases include five health- care workers, the Ottawa-based agency said in an e-mail today.

Tests in Mexico found patients were infected with H1N1 and type-B influenza strains and the parainfluenza virus, the agency said. In the U.S., doctors discovered a new strain of H1N1 swine influenza in patients in San Diego County and Imperial County, California, and in San Antonio, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta said today.

“It will be critical to determine whether or not the strains of H1N1 isolated from patients in Mexico are also swine flu,”

www.bloomberg.com...

04/24/2009 UPDATE:
There is no vaccine, but doctors say some newer medications like Tamiflu have been effective so far.
www.msnbc.msn.com...

The World Health Organization said on Friday that it was convening an emergency committee to advise whether outbreaks of swine flu in the United States and Mexico constituted an international public health threat.
www.msnbc.msn.com...

White House Closely Monitering U.S. Flu Outbreak
www.msnbc.msn.com...

The White House is closely following the outbreak of a new strain of swine flu in the United States and President Barack Obama has been informed, an administration official said on Friday

Mexico's Health Minister has announced that the outbreak in Mexico is caused from the swine flu virus.

An outbreak of "influenza-like" cases in Mexico was caused by swine flu, Mexico's Health Minister Angel Cordova said Friday.

"It is a virus that mutated from pigs and then at some point was transmitted to humans," he told the Televisa network, according to Reuters.

www.cbc.ca...

[edit 04-24-09 to add update] bts

[edit on 24-4-2009 by burntheships]

Mod Edit: Changed Lung illness to swine flu in thread title.

[edit on 26-4-2009 by GAOTU789]

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

Thank you for your compliance and understanding.

[edit on 4/29/2009 by kinglizard]

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   
More information on this flu...though finding it strange that few have died, and no deaths reported in the U.S. yet this is making headlines in all major news outlets!

U.S. health officials are investigating a strange new type of swine influenza that has infected at least seven people and which is expected to be found in more.

Here are some facts about the virus and flu viruses in general:

* The virus is an influenza A virus, carrying the designation H1N1.

* It is genetically different from the fully human H1N1 seasonal influenza virus that has been circulating globally for the past few years. The new flu virus contains DNA typical to avian, swine and human viruses, including elements from European and Asian swine viruses.

* Flu viruses mutate constantly, which is why the flu vaccine is changed every year, and they can also swap DNA in a process called reassortment. Most animals can get flu but viruses rarely pass from one species to another.
www.alertnet.org...

Breaking News Story Thread

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
All I know is that the Mexican govt. made a special breaking announcement tonight at around 11pm to tell people that no schools or universities will have classes tomorrow in several states, including Mexico City, due to the flu epidemic.

This is the first time that I've heard anything like this going on south of the border and for officials to go ahead and make that decision means that it is turning out to be a serious situation.
There's also a massive flu vaccination event this weekend.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by haika

There's also a massive flu vaccination event this weekend.

What is that vaccination for? That is scary...I do not know what would be worse...the shot for vaccination that could be contaminated or the flu itself...I would be leary of a shot!

In 1976 a new strain of swine flu started infecting people and worried U.S. health officials started widespread vaccination. More than 40 million people were vaccinated. But several cases of Guillain-Barre syndrome, a severe and sometime fatal condition that can be linked to come vaccines, caused the U.S. government to stop the program. The incident led to widespread distrust of vaccines in general

www.alertnet.org...

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Why would it be contaminated?
I'm guessing that it would be your basic flu vaccine.

I used to live in South Florida not long ago and there were lines, but I mean, huge LINES of old people waiting to be vaccinated during flu season.
You could see the lines forming outside of drugstores and supermarkets.

[edit on 4/24/2009 by haika]

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
EDIT: lol same thread starter. K

Interesting topic... For sure. Been keeping an eye on the other one, for updates, posts, etc...

Just wondering if this is THE ONE, even though a post in the other thread says it's not. As for why the vaccines would be contaminated? Baxter intentionally sent out contaminated vaccines, a bit ago....

[edit on 24-4-2009 by LostNemesis]

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

Who knows if this is the one...hitting a bit late in the year so it might die off for a few months, or not. But the fact that it first was reported seperate cases, first Mexico and then Texas and California, and now it hits Bloomberg with a different tltle, and the two are linked now by reports in the media...just too much to ignore.

And the fact that they are vaccinating in Mexico...even the article says it is late in the season, and usually by now has died off... but who knows.

One thing for sure, it is a different strain...that is already fact!

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

That was my original post in breaking news...and this is in current events...as the two storys of Mexico and the U.S. Swine flu have become one.

An urgent probe into an unusual flu outbreak that’s infected seven people in the U.S. was widened after Mexico sought assistance to investigate more than 130 cases of severe respiratory disease that may be related.

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

So why start a new thread instead of updating the original?

Which will be updated? Both?

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by FrankWhite222

So why can't a person have two threads on the same subject? Sometimes when you feel something is worth people hearing about you do what you have to to draw more attention to it. Is the internet running out of room or something?

And I've been following this flu story on ATS. Genetically engineered? That's whats in the back of all our minds.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I wonder if this has anything to do with the bio-weapons materials taken from the American Military base? or the thousands of concrete graves being dug in AZ and NM?

i dunno maybe just that paranoia again

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MsSmartypants

Did I say they cannot? I merely asked three very straight forward and good questions

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
When I first heard about the Mexico thing it made me think of the SARS outbreak here in Canada.
now with these other things combined, I'd say something is just not right here, and you don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to see that.
Do viruses randomly combine and mutate?
Is it just a coincidence that they decided to hold a vaccine clinic and have it all ready and waiting?
Something smells like a dead rat.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   
well virusus do mutate very frequently especially the FLU but i think its kinda weird all of that bioweapons material went missing a little while ago and then boom we have a large virus outbreak. 180 in mexico is A LOT since flu symptoms usually begin within 24 hours....so 180 cases in 72-24 hours is huge

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by invisibleman11
well virusus do mutate very frequently especially the FLU but i think its kinda weird all of that bioweapons material went missing a little while ago and then boom we have a large virus outbreak. 180 in mexico is A LOT since flu symptoms usually begin within 24 hours....so 180 cases in 72-24 hours is huge

Mutate yes..but combine AND mutate?
to re-quote the above..

* It is genetically different from the fully human H1N1 seasonal influenza virus that has been circulating globally for the past few years. The new flu virus contains DNA typical to avian, swine and human viruses, including elements from European and Asian swine viruses.

Somebody's been cookin' in the kitchen and it ain't what's for dinner.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
yes thats true but that swine flu has had over THREE years to mutate so a mutation wouldnt be all that strange....although i am very open to the possibility of fishy buisness it wouldnt be the first time our government has done something like this

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Mexico's Health Minister reports that the flu outbreak in Mexico is the swine flu virus.

Mexico has shut schools in the capital and center hearland in flu scare, telling people to stay home from work on Friday, April 24, 2009. Over 60 have died, and more than 800 are sickened at the time of this update.

An outbreak of "influenza-like" cases in Mexico was caused by swine flu, Mexico's Health Minister Angel Cordova said Friday.

"It is a virus that mutated from pigs and then at some point was transmitted to humans," he told the Televisa network, according to Reuters.

www.cbc.ca...

Mexico is canceling classes for millions of children in the heart of the country on Friday after influenza killed around 20 people in recent weeks.

Mexican Health Minister Jose Angel Cordova said schools and universities in Mexico City and the surrounding area would be temporarily closed and advised people with flu symptoms to stay home from work.

www.breitbart.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Hmmmm...virus samples "missing" from Army lab in MD. this week,horses dying in Fla...people dying in Mexico.

Have I been on ATS too long (still new...) or is this all coincidence?

News seems to be leaking out this week about several possibly connected incidents.

[edit on 24-4-2009 by irishchic]

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

My wife went day before yesterday to the Imperial Valley and then to San Diego, and now she feels funny before we learned about the flu being discovered in both the Imperial Valley and in San Diego.

What should I do?

How recommended is TAMIFLU?

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Hey, let's not forget about the audio of the woman in up state New York that was quite frantic about the suspected underground workings of DHS and the driver she knew that make big bucks in the middle of the night to drive cargo from NY to Tucson (close to ca and mex and tex), and has to be screened for illness after each drive.

trying to figure out how to insert the youtube video/audio of the call. Here is the thread on it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 24-4-2009 by SunnyDee]

[edit on 24-4-2009 by SunnyDee]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join