It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seven People in U.S. hit by Strange New Swine Flu

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Ashley,

You are correct...and it is scary! This story is on every MSM outlet!
Here is another just uptdated story from NBC!

Outbreaks in Mexico, U.S. tied to new swine flu
Source of unique virus a mystery; CDC expects more cases

The unique strain of swine flu found in seven people in California and Texas has been connected to the deadly flu that has broken out in Mexico, killing as many as 60 people, NBC News has confirmed.

The strain has never been seen before and is raising fears of a possible pandemic.

The World Health Organization said it was concerned at what it called hundreds of "influenza-like" cases in Mexico, and also about the confirmed outbreak of the new strain of swine flu in the United States.

Mexico canceled classes for millions of children in its sprawling capital city and surrounding area on Friday after authorities noticed a higher number of flu-like deaths than normal in recent weeks.

"It is a virus that mutated from pigs and then at some point was transmitted to humans," Health Minister Jose Angel Cordova told the Televisa network.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
They appear to be genetically the same viruses.

GENEVA- WHO SAYS 12 CASES OF SWINE FLU VIRUS IN MEXICO HAVE SAME GENETIC STRUCTURE AS CALIFORNIA CASES

www.alertnet.org...

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Seven cases in the US so far, 2 in Texas 150 miles away from the Mexican border, 5 in the counties of San Diego and Imperial, in California both of these counties are right on the border of Mexico. Yeah i'm pretty much convinced it's the same thing, and people must be bringing it across the border.

The first two cases were found in Cali, one detected through a navy clinic that participates in a specialized disease detection network, the other detected through a specialized surveillance system set up in border communities.

health.yahoo.com...

The first two cases here were children, which would suggest they could have caught it at school (Mexico is closing it's schools) and makes me think that there may be more cases and they just don't know it yet. Maybe the parents didn't take the children to the doctor, or maybe the doctors thought they were just dealing with the regular flu. One thing that caught my eye is the fact that three of the articles that i've read already all seem to mention that the ethnicity of those effected has not been released. Why do they feel that's a pertinent piece of information to place in the story?

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Thanks, Burn. I also went to hunt down some info on it to make sure my memory was correct. I remember it being predicted that pigs would be used as a link and here is an older article I found predating this new outbreak that mentions exactly that and what I mentioned before:

Pigs are seen as a possible intermediate host that can help avian flu viruses adapt to humans, because the epithelial cells in pigs' trachea can be infected by both avian and human flu viruses, the article notes. If avian and human viruses infected a pig at the same time, they could mix or reassort, giving rise to a novel strain that might be able to spread in humans.

They add that because H5N1 infections in swine increase the risk that a pandemic strain could emerge, the findings point up the need for "continuous surveillance and management of H5N1 viruses in pigs."

www.cidrap.umn.edu...

Edit to add: So while this older article makes predictions and mentions the possibility, it looks like what is now happening is the fulfillment.

[edit on 4/24/2009 by AshleyD]

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
May I calmy suggest... we close the freaking border for Bob's sake!

This is rediculous! This crap is going to spread all over the continent if not the whole planet if we do not get this under control real quick.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by pyrytyes

This is not what I need to read, for sure.

My housemate is in the Tucson VA hospital, having surgery today.
His daughter is scheduled to return from Mexico today...from the sounds of it, the middle of the outbreak.

Currently, this hospital is trying to control some sort of influenza outbreak within its confines. My Bud told me what they called it, but I can not remember.

Fortunately, for me, he'll be there for the next 5-7 days. I'll be talking to him, for sure, before I go for a visit.

Will put out the word, if anything unusual manifests...

Yes, I can confirm a fairly virulent flu infecting doctors and patients at the Tucson VA Hospital over the last 3-4 weeks. I have seen a few patients who work there and they report this to be true.

Flu vaccines and virii are experimented with both in vitro (test tube) and in vivo (living subjects).

This could be bad, as we have sizeable and uncontrollable illegal aliens coming into the US daily. Maybe the infection was started in Mexico so that it could "creep" into the US. We have to remember that the world is now "flat". You could easily encounter someone who just got off the plane from China or anywhere else.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I don't know what the big hype is about here.
There will always be new mutations of viruses because a virus as well as bacteria is a living organism that evolves, adjusts, etc.

And 7 deaths in this country is less then 0.0000023333333%!

To be honest guys, it's not even worth mentioning! It would make more sense to mention and hype alcohol related deaths. That would be a nice number to be shocked about!

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I don't know how to say this, but let's try it anyway...

The real mystery here seems to be "how is it 'changing' or mutating". "is it going to kill us all?" "Who can we blame?" and "how to defend ourselves from it"

So far, the (insert your favorite animal here) flu did not kill many humans... yet.

I am pretty sure that when the 'virus' (what ever it may be) starts killing a lot of people (100+) we will be informed by authorities that somehow "TERRORISTS are responsible for the ENGINEERED virus that's killing people, and a few more of our freedoms have to be put aside so we can be protected from the danger..."

Let's juts wide open our eyes for this, ok?

Peace

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Oh my...

Thanks for posting that information...I know everyone will appreciate that!
It really does answer a lot of questions!

I just hope this dies off and does not turn out much worse...
What is so scary is that it hit the news so quick, and it is everywhere...on MSM and every news outlet. So why is that if only 7 people have come down with it in the U.S., and they recovered? What is the big hype about???

That is what has got me concerned...all the reporting!

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
reply to post by AshleyD

That is what has got me concerned...all the reporting!

They have to sell a story. That's what they do for a living. If there is nothing better to report about why not take something small and make it into an elephant? It certainly sells, as we can see here.....mission accomplished!

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

I agree, but we both know that's not gonna happen. That's one of the reasons they should have had stricter border control a long time ago, to prevent things like this from happening. Suits their purpose to let it come over here anyway it'll help them with their "population control".

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
www.recombinomics.com...

The number of flu cases in Mexico, coupled with the high frequency of clusters in California and Texas, raises concerns that the swine flu will spread worldwide and expand into a major pandemic.
This is scary stuff
I would recomend closing our border with mexico if that is doable
what do i know though if it is already in the USofA seem to be, how do i say it, up s#$T creek already

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
We all know they want to declare martial law, and this is the BS thats coming.
Baxter's recent activities should have made this clear. Now, do some positive thoughts. Vividly picture everyone healthy with superlative immune systems.
Say words that are positive to this effect.

And do not allow the progression to dictatorship no matter what.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by thegreatobserver

Yes I am sure that is part of it...although there is way too much going on here for just a story sell. If they need that they can just find another "unfound" star singer or whatever create a new reality show.

The aspect of this story that stands out is this: This is a new never seen before mutation

Two updates here on MSM...this story is even being monitered by Obama at the White House...White House closely following U.S. swine flu outbreakwww.msnbc.msn.com...

Outbreaks in Mexico, U.S. tied to new swine flu
Source of unique virus a mystery; CDC expects more cases

The unique strain of swine flu found in seven people in California and Texas has been connected to the deadly flu that has broken out in Mexico, killing as many as 60 people, NBC News has confirmed.

The strain has never been seen before and is raising fears of a possible pandemic.

The World Health Organization said it was concerned at what it called hundreds of "influenza-like" cases in Mexico, and also about the confirmed outbreak of the new strain of swine flu in the United States.

Mexico canceled classes for millions of children in its sprawling capital city and surrounding area on Friday after authorities noticed a higher number of flu-like deaths than normal in recent weeks.

"It is a virus that mutated from pigs and then at some point was transmitted to humans," Health Minister Jose Angel Cordova told the Televisa network.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sator
I don't know how to say this, but let's try it anyway...

The real mystery here seems to be "how is it 'changing' or mutating". "is it going to kill us all?" "Who can we blame?" and "how to defend ourselves from it"

So far, the (insert your favorite animal here) flu did not kill many humans... yet.

I am pretty sure that when the 'virus' (what ever it may be) starts killing a lot of people (100+) we will be informed by authorities that somehow "TERRORISTS are responsible for the ENGINEERED virus that's killing people, and a few more of our freedoms have to be put aside so we can be protected from the danger..."

Let's juts wide open our eyes for this, ok?

Peace

Can I witness to you all. I swear before God that what I am relating is absolutely true.

I consider myself a fair clairvoyant and an excellent telepath.

The day before this story broke, or more like just some hours before the story broke, I had a strange dream.

Somebody had held me down and vaccinated me by force. It hurt. Later I got so sick I was delirious and was quarantined. I woke up, and for a short while I could feel a sensation on my arm just like I had been vaccinated. I looked at the spot and there was no mark. The sensation abated.

I logged onto the internet and came to this site and saw the first thread posted on this topic to appear on ATS. I got spooked.

Later I convinced myself that it was just a dream and a coincidence.

Now I read that a massive vaccination program is underway in Mexico City to stop the outbreak. I remember the tainted vaccines sent to Czechoslovakia not long ago.

There is reason for concern here.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

WHO to Convene Emergency Meeting

GENEVA (Reuters) - The World Health Organization said on Friday that it was convening an emergency committee to advise whether outbreaks of swine flu in the United States and Mexico constituted an international public health threat.

"WHO will convene, sometime in the very near future, an emergency committee under the International Health Regulations, which will consider whether or not this event constitutes a public health event of international concern," WHO spokesman Gregory Hartl told Reuters in Geneva.

Hartl also said that 12 of 18 samples taken from victims in Mexico showed the virus had a genetic structure identical to that of the virus found in California. But more epidemiological information was needed before any change to the WHO's pandemic alert level, currently at '3' on a scale of 1 to 6.

12 of 18 samples showing to be identical ? That's really BAD NEWS isn't it ? Can anyone confirm this is true , as a few hrs ago they were waiting to SEE if there were similarities and now this says they know there ARE

Mod Edit: New External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 24-4-2009 by mrwupy]

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Another Vodka

Thanks, I think, for the confirmation...

The Tucson VA has been frequented by my bud for years, and they always have something going on that is contagious. This particular case, with what is happening in Mexico, and elsewhere, is a bit more disconcerting to me.

If they close the place for entry to visitors, I suppose, then would be cause for more concern. The hand sanitizers they place at every main entrance/ exit have protected me, thus far. I do not think this will be any different, but, time will tell...

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Start taking vitamin C, Echinacea, and garlic pills daily to help boost your immune system before this spreads to your area. I'd rather have my immune system in the best shape possible if this thing becomes widespread.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by thegreatobserver

I disagree with your assessment this could be the start of a major pandemic if the WHO is convening emergency meetings I tend to take that seriously

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Ok I have a Question

Why are they vaccinating in Mexico? 04/24/2009 UPDATE:
There is no vaccine, but doctors say some newer medications like Tamiflu have been effective so far.
www.msnbc.msn.com...

The World Health Organization said on Friday that it was convening an emergency committee to advise whether outbreaks of swine flu in the United States and Mexico constituted an international public health threat.
www.msnbc.msn.com...

White House Closely Monitering U.S. Flu Outbreak
www.msnbc.msn.com...

The White House is closely following the outbreak of a new strain of swine flu in the United States and President Barack Obama has been informed, an administration official said on Friday

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join