It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do the texts of ancient cultures say about moon anomalies?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
The moon topic is so vast it needs to be broken up.

1) What do ancient Vedic writings say about the moon? They talk about flying machines and hint at the possibility of ancient advanced cultures.

2) Moon anomalies are mentioned in a lot of Buddhist texts...

A lot of ancient texts seem to agree that there were a lot of things going on in the moon.

A pretty vague opening post, I'm hoping we can work together and find some good info... I can't do it all on my own.

If you wanted to contribute, I suggest picking the first ancient culture that comes into your mind and doing web searches around it, i.e: Buddist ancient moon theory etc...

Good Luck.

[edit on 14f20091pmMon, 06 Apr 2009 17:30:55 -050055 by HiAliens]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I know absolutly nothing about budism but in the quick google search i just did the budist religon seems very old and wise and seems celabrates all its religous festivals around the new moon

one very quick example

"Abhidhamma Day
In the Burmese tradition, this day celebrates the occasion when the Buddha is said to have gone to the Tu#a Heaven to teach his mother the Abhidhamma. It is held on the full moon of the seventh month of the Burmese lunar year starting in April which corresponds to the full moon day in October"

theres definitly a huge amount of info out there that will reveal a big surprise for us all, just a matter of time..

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I remember reading something years ago about a time in ancient human memory about when there was no moon. I read it when I was a teenager and can't for the life of me remember what text was being quoted. I've not been able to find anything on the net either.

Anyone remember such a text? I'm guessing Vedic but I wouldn't swear to it.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

There is this article

As it turns out, a lot of myths, legends, and tales say that there used to be no Moon in the sky. The Moon appeared after the Great Flood.

Does anyone know of another article?

[edit on 6-4-2009 by Pamie]

[edit on 6-4-2009 by Pamie]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   

No, there is no records of the moon not existing in the Vedic traditition. In fact the moon was as eulogised as the sun was.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Maybe so maybe no.

But the ancient vedic texts say a lot about ancient technology and flying machines... Unless you are an expert, be careful about writing off possible research avenues in a two line post...

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by HiAliens

I am as close to an expert on the Vedic tradition you will find on ATS

Read my thread: Ancient Advanced Aryan civilisation

The Vedic Aryans worshipped the sun and the moon. They are considered like a divine pair and they represent the masculine and feminine principles. The Sanskrit word for moon is Chandra, and another word used for the moon is Soma.

[edit on 6-4-2009 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Thanks Pamie and Indigo_Child. I was thinking more along the lines of a non-Pravda source and found it myself.

Legends of no moon.

Edit to read "legends" rather than "histories".

[edit on 6-4-2009 by whitewave]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
As it turns out, there is an ancient vedic tradition of a time when there was no moon. I did as HiAliens suggested and googled "Vedic ancient moon theories" and came up with this.

Age of the Universe
The age of each Kalpa (eternal day) is 4.32 billion years (4,320,000,000 years). According to Hindu scriptures this is further subdivided as below:

1 Kalpa = 1000 Chaturyugis
= 14 Manvantars + Buffer Periods of 6 Chaturyugis
1 Manvantar = 71 Chaturyugis
1 Chaturyugi = 4,320,000 years

Seems I just lost half of my post.

Anyway, if you follow the link it says that the sun was created during the second manvantar and the moon was created during the third so there would have been a time (according to Vedic tradition) in which there was no moon.

I can't believe how much there is on the net about this now. First time I tried looking it up there was nothing (that I could find).

There are entire books written about lunar anomalies. What are some others that anyone can find?

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Well im not even sure according to Bodes Law if the Moon should exist or not.

I think it shows that a planet/object should be where the asteroid belt is.
That would lead you to Zacharia Sitchins work in regard to The Sumerians.

It is a whole story how Tiammat(Earth) and the Moon(cant remember the name right now) and others become. I have deliberately left out any references to Z Sitchins works
for the thread sake.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
There's also a current thread about the moon being artificial that mentions several anomalies and has links. Here ya go.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   

This is according to the interpretation of the author, who also happens to interpret many Sanskrit deity names in the Vedas to be subatomic particles
I have looked up on the internet and there is no single source that corresponds to his interpretation.

A manvantara refers to ruling species/humans/civilisation on this planet, it does not refer to any cycles of the sun or the moon. In fact it would be impossible for the sun to be in in the second manvantara, because that would mean it was created after the Earth.

All manvantaras occur on the Earth and refers to cycles of either species/humans or civilisations on this planet. We are the 7th and there will be 7 more in the future. Each cycle is 120 million years long. That is each ruling species/humans/civilisations lasts for 120 million years and then is destroyed and replaced by another after a waiting period.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo_Child

Thanks for that educational insight. I guess all religious texts are subject to differing interpretations.

The OP had asked about moon anomalies and there is another ATS thread discussing those that I linked in my previous post. Since he has not returned to this thread, I'm guessing he found his answers elsewhere.

Interesting topic. I'll be following it from afar since there are people much more knowledgeable than me regarding this subject.

Best of luck to all.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by HiAliens

Hiya HiAliens, it's an interesting thread with some fairly outlandish claims being bandied around. The Rig Vedas do not discuss mechanical flying machines. There was no 'advanced technology' or 'nuclear wars' or 'lost civilizations'. Anyways...

The moon has fascinated people since we were throwing stones at predators and trying to stay alive at night. Have a look at the Lebombo Bone, Lascaux Caves and the Abri Blanchard Plaque. They each count the days of the lunar month and date as far back as 35 000ya.

You might find it intriguing that the Moon is subject to a phenomena called Transient Lunar Phenomena (TLPs).

Transient Lunar Phenomena (TLPs, called LTPs by some authors) are predominantly optical-wavelength effects, typically reported by observers monitoring the Moon visually through a telescope (with a few exceptions discussed in the companion paper). Their physical nature is unknown and even their reality is a point of dispute.
Source as above.

For centuries astronomers and observers have described seeing flashes and patches of color in craters. The Aristarchus Crater is a fairly common scene for them. They are accepted by scientists, but there isn't a definitive explanation. The main explanation involves 'outgassing' whereby there are occasions when gasses like Radon, Potassium, Carbon Dioxide, Sodium, Helium and Polonium are released from the moon's crust.

Transient lunar phenomena are defined for the purposes of this investigation as localized (smaller than a few hundred km across), transient (up to a few hours duration, and probably longer than typical impact events - less than 1s to a few seconds), and presumably confined to processes near the lunar surface...In the case of slow seepage, gases may take a
long time to work their way through the regolith. If the gases are volcanic, there may be
interactions along the way, and if water vapor is involved, it and perhaps others of these
gases may remain trapped in the regolith.
Source

There was a thread a few months ago that featured a PDF. It contained several hundred recorded observations of flashes and colors on the Moon dating back to the late 1920s. I remember it because Sir Patrick Moore and others were the first to jointly see a TLP and the date was in the list. Prior to that moment nobody had shared the experience.

In terms of ancient and or religious texts I don't think there are any references to anomalous moon activity. If anyone can provide extracts and sources from reputable sites, it'll be interesting.

new topics

top topics

join