It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family on Dr.Phil in big trouble.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
A couple who went on national television to brag about making $100,000 shoplifting and selling their loot on eBay is under investigation by federal agents.

Matthew and Laura Eaton of San Marcos appeared on the "Dr. Phil" show last fall to share their story, aided by a video of their three small children accompanying them on a three-day shoplifting binge.

Last week the Secret Service and other members of the multi-agency San Diego Regional Fraud Task Force searched their home and seized toys, a car and other belongings.

The Eatons have not been arrested or charged. The couple hired an attorney with the United Defense Group in Los Angeles to represent them, but the firm said Thursday they would not comment on the case.

Dave Hillen, a detective at the San Diego County sheriff's office, said he investigated the Eatons for shoplifting before their television appearance.

Last August he received a complaint from a Target store in Vista that the couple had stolen a LEGO kit and confronted them at their home. Hillen said he noticed a pile of unopened toys in the family's garage, but the Eatons claimed they sold the toys online.

He said the couple admitted stealing the LEGOs and he filed a misdemeanor case with the district attorney's office.

They appeared on the show several months later, telling Dr. Phil McGraw that they made $3,500 in one week from selling stolen toys. Matthew Eaton called the thefts "easy money."

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I was kinda shocked when I heard this one. Not of people stealing, but for them to involve there CHILDREN! Seriously come on. Whats the world coming to. And to brag about it on national Tv? I would be extremely embaressed.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
AHH! I forgot to use the terms and conditions and forgot to use quote boxs and provide a link to the source. Will a kind mod please delete this thread for me so I can have a re-do?

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Now, I have to be cynical. I wouldn't doubt that the law enforcement, especially task force, didn't set that up with Dr. Phil to get a confession and crack the case, since they couldn't get the "goods" on them by themselves. Why would Drl Phil know about those people? It doesn't sound like the knd of story that Dr. Phil would be interested in to me. Nonetheless, it is still a bad way to make a living, especially to involve their children.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
This is bad, especially for the kids. But i can't also help laugh at how silly it is. They went on Dr Phil (or is it Phill?) to brag? What did they think would happen?

I've never seen Dr Phil, but i've heard of it. In the UK we have something called the Jeremy Kyle show, its terrible, yet really funny at the same time.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
What did that family think would happen? People are really stupid. I really can't stand talk shows or much else on tv. Switch it off and read a book lol.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Their 15 minutes just turned into 15 years eh?

Good...bout time we teach people about consequences

-Kyo

new topics

top topics

join