It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great Pyramid Construction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Just watched a good documentary on BBC 2 regarding the construction of the great pyramids, apparently this French guy has the idea that ramps where created inside the great pyramids to haul the blocks up at a 7 degree angles, in the doc it shows how he's created some 3d software to show how it would work and how certain other characteristics fit in with his ideas, it was rather a good insight and probably better than the large ramp theory. Anywho it's an interesting watch

Pyramid : The last secret

[edit on 28/3/2009 by spitefulgod]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
It's a very good theory, it also utilized a "microgravimetry survey" to help detect what may be hidden chambers in the pyramid.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by spitefulgod

Thanks for linking the program, I enjoyed watching it. The French architects ideas appear reasonable and the suggestion that the King's Chamber granite beams were delivered by a trolley and pulley system was excellent and practical.

I was concerned by the way they discounted the practicality of exterior ramps due to problems of scale. "No ramps here!" Two thirds in, they were using an exterior ramp to deliver the granite beams to the pulley system. Contradictory?

The combination of his theory, the 3D software, trace evidence and then that final chart that reflected his ideas was compelling. I already knew that the theory was discounted a couple of years ago and it was still an interesting show. Hawass had investigated the theory and found no evidence to support it. Kind of a shame for the architect after spending all his time on it

(I'm currently working in Chorley and can vouch for Blackburn being 'sunny':lol

Edit to add that maybe it hasn't been as conclusively dismissed as I remembered? HoM discussion

[edit on 31-3-2009 by Kandinsky]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Just an added note

The Indians used ramps to move stones for their temples.

The Brihadeshwara Temple is the main attraction of Tanjore. The temple is characterized by its unique structure. Unlike the usual South Indian temples, the Brihadeshwara temple has a soaring Vamana and a stunted Gopurams. It was constructed from a single piece of granite weighing an estimated 80 tonnes and the dome was hauled into place along a 4-km earthwork ramp in a manner similar to the Egyptian pyramids.

I suspect the AE used a number of systems, ramps being one of them.

[edit on 31/3/09 by Hanslune]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Just posted this over on the multimedia uploads board, but thought you may like it too here.

I saw the doc on the BBC too, interesting.

I have my own theory, based on logic. No ramps or dragging stones are included.

OK...the pro's talk about huge ramps, and sleds being lubricated with dribbles of water etc..never mind that the ramps themselves would be at least TWICE the volume of the pyramid itself!

Ask yourself, what is the greatest natural resource ancient egyptians had?
Sand? Water? Grain?

The answer is obviously people.

When trying to explain the building of the pyramids, people ( the labourers) are always portrayed as lugging and dragging these 2 - 4 tonne blocks (the vast majority only weight this much, only a small amount are much larger), grunting and heaving against the weight. Nonsense.

In fact NO ONE had to manually lift or drag anything!

If we say the average (guestimate) weight of an ancient Egyptian labourer was 150lbs, and a single block weighed 2 tonnes, you would need approximately 28 adult labourers to match the blocks weight, right?

OK, now we have equilibrium. Add 1 or 2 more people, and you have a 'human gravity engine' that will gently and effortlesly lift the block onto the level being built.

All that is required is for the labourers to attach ropes to the block, route the blocks through a capstan or similar on the level being built, run the ropes to the opposite side of the level, fastened to a platform. The labourers step onto the platform and hey presto, the block rises gently onto the required level!

The only effort required from the labourers, is that they are continually climbing up the completed levels, to again descend on the platform acting as a counterweight to the next block. Multiply this 'human gravity engine' a few hundred times, and the levels would have been built in a LOT less time than is previously thought.

No grunting or sweating involved, certainly no sleds. Possibly a system of cantelever type cranes, to keep the block away from the sides on the way up, but this would not be bearing any weight, just guiding the blocks.

My feeling is that most of the so called 'impossible' monuments around the world, were built using similar methods.

Now, if i can think this up in 10 minutes over morning coffee, why haven't all the professionals too? That's the real mystery.

spikey.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Interesting idea, however the AE don't appear to have windlass/capstan and other mechanical devices. Later people had those devices but not the early Egyptians

We have AE art of them dragging stones in just such a manner.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

The windlass/capstan device was off the top of my head. The basic idea is the same with or without them. Easy to substitute a capstan with a raised roller, or even a greased rounded set of stones.

Perhaps the lack of AE art was to preserve the method from being copied?

The AE art of stome dragging could just be a pictorial metaphor for 'many people were involved in moving the stone' or simply the heirolgyph for 'labourer'.

In any case, it's the easiest and least labour intensive method of moving heavy objects up to great heights, and AE builders would have opted for the easiest and fastest method (IMO).

Thanks for your comment mate.

spikey.

top topics

join