It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question about death...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
So I have a question that I can't even explain really. When you die, it's over. Your thoughts are gone. Your conciousness is gone.

Here's what I don't understand. How are we even aware of anything around us right now if one day that is all going to just turn off, period? I don't understand how we ever even experience anything because when we die we won't even know it, and we won't even know we were alive.

Does that make sense at all? If someone else can explain it better, please do.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
But how can you be sure that your thoughts are gone and your conciousness is gone when you die? You may believe it personally, but that doesn't make it a fact, does it? I believe in some kind of life after death, but it is just that - a belief.

And you should try to live life to the full, experience as much love and joy as you can while you are still here. Don't waste your time worrying about death.

"“Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist.”
Epicurus, Greek philosopher

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

I'm not actually worried about it, I just don't techincally understand how if one day it's all "over" and blank, how we even realize right now that we are here.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I dont believe that when we die, there is just nothing there anymore. Some Near Death Experance people say that they see something be it good or bad. My boyfriends mom died a couple years ago, now his dad is sick, he sees his mom ghost a lot now with the dad in the hospital and might not make it. If we just die and nothing else is there, why is she visiting her son. I dont see her, but his reaction after he does see her gives me goose bumps. He is dark Hawaiian and He turns white when he sees her.

I have also heard that it depends on what you believe when you are alive if you believe in heaven or hell then you go to either one. But if you dont believe in God, and you think there is nothing after death then that is what you get nothing but blackness.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by isa75

That is more religion than I care to get into, I am not a religious person at all.

I was looking for a scientific explanation of how we even are aware we are alive if one day that is just turned off completely.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
The only thing each of us know for certain is that death will lay its creepy hands on us all. Therefore you should enjoy what little time you have in the here and now.

Enjoy what time you have, whether you believe it makes a difference or not.

All that one needs to make the world a better place is to make themselves a better person.

Love more than anything else, laugh as often as you can, learn the lessons of tears and grow as an individual so that when that day finally comes, it won't matter what lays beyond the veil.

Live your life so well that if there is a God, you won't be worried about meeting him/her. Live it so they are a little apprehensive about meeting you.

Life is too short to spend worrying or even wondering about death. There is too much living to do in the moment.

Just my thoughts,

wupy

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Our brains are loaded with electrical currents and in that light do remember Einstein's theory that energy is neither created nor destroyed, but it can be transformed from one form to the other.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
What happens after death is a belief right now. We don't know for sure.

My belief is that our spirit comes out, it doesn't go "blank".

This is not reality.

Reality is when we die, when we are our real selves.

We only resurrect to learn more by experience.

We don't really die, we go back home. But I'm not talking about Heaven.

A good example would be if play a video game (life), play it to learn, then when we finish playing we stop (die) and start living like we did since the start (after life).

That's my belief.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by rocksarerocks

suggestion, suppose your body and mind are ONLY a vehicle for your "intelligence" to express itself. Scientists don't study ET mind stuff, cause there ain't any "evidence" EXCEPT NDE's, suggest you read a buncha NDE books/experiences' to find the best answer

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
All very interesting replies, thank you everyone.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I was told energy can't be destroyed. Is this true?

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
If there's nothing after death, then existence is pointless and all the pain & suffering we all go through serves no purpose whatsoever. So why even bother.
If true, whoever created this reality has a lot to answer for, as we are simply being used to fulfill some objective. I would sure love to give them a piece of my mind.
The creator might as well just pull the plug on this reality.
Most likely we are probably nothing more than a simulation created by some artificial AI trying to understand itself.

Before the Grim Reaper comes a calling for your soul, you might as well make the b****** work for it.

[edit on 18-3-2009 by kindred]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by rocksarerocks
So I have a question that I can't even explain really. When you die, it's over. Your thoughts are gone. Your conciousness is gone.

Nobody, literally NOBODY on the planet knows for sure what happens when you die.
Yes, there are explanations for the first few minutes, brain activity continues et al.
But honestly we don't know.
I believe your consciousness lives on, your body dies but your essence, soul/real self, (whatever you want to call it) lives on.

Now many will argue that consciousness,reality,memories,emotion,feelings, "the soul" are all functions and consequences of the brain... and once we die it all stops...everything.... just gone, dead.
Obviously the ego of humans and the general feeling that we are "special" don't allow most to accept this theory.
Most cannot imagine a nothingness and this is where many of the theories of life after death and possibly where religion have come from... man's fear of the unknown... of nothingness.

I personally believe that we, the real us...not the "vehicle" or body, do live on... i really do.
Partly from experiences that I've had and things I've encountered and i guess also partly for the same reason most do... fear of the unknown...although not so much fear.... but more as a point of reference..something to look forward too.

Here's what I don't understand. How are we even aware of anything around us right now if one day that is all going to just turn off, period?

We are aware of the now....what's happening and what has happened because we're experiencing it as we live.... and can remember what we have done because we lived it.

As i said before, nobody knows what happens when we die and if everything just stops or not.
It is a very interesting, deep and philosophical subject and there are no right or wrong answers and there are certainly no experts.

Just live your life to the fullest and do as much good as you can.
Make sure you make connections with people and never hold back or be scared to do something.
The worst regrets are those of things we didn't do or were too scared or concerned about doing.

Reflect deeply and think about the issue and resolve it in your own mind... nobody can really answer that question for you, you must find your own version of the truth and have an answer that you are happy with and can live with without driving yourself crazy thinking about it.

Hope this helps a bit.

peace

Blup

[edit on 19/3/09 by blupblup]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

True,only converted into another type of energy.As for after life,its hogwash imo.Brain dies=you die..very very simple.Ask someone who has had a serious brain trauma and left with nothing but a blank slate,no memories,no personality,likes or dislikes..its all in the brain..and when that dies from lack of oxygen and decomposes into worm food...trust me,your not going anywhere.I fear an afterlife more than i fear life and death itself.Not my bag,if its true and there is some sort of afterlife..i hope i can pick whether or not to attend.I'd hate it,no matter what "it" may be.I can say that for a fact.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
That's the million dollar question.

And it's because: when you die, it's not over. You just don't cease to exist. I know i can't prove that, but it can't be proved either way.

So neither of us are none-the-more clever or clueless.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

I personally believe that we, the real us...not the "vehicle" or body, do live on... i really do.
Partly from experiences that I've had and things I've encountered and i guess also partly for the same reason most do... fear of the unknown...although not so much fear.... but more as a point of reference..something to look forward too.

I share the same belief in the sense that i think a our 'essence' as you put it lives on, whatever that life maybe. I kind of like the theory of reincanation, possibly over and over until we learn the from our errors in order to enter a higher level, who knows eh (itstarted to sound a bit like a video game there
??

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
The only thing each of us know for certain is that death will lay its creepy hands on us all. Therefore you should enjoy what little time you have in the here and now.

I don't think I can know anything for certain. Who knows what will happen in the future. How do I even know if your real? haha I'm sure you are. But you catch my drift?

People say just enjoy life. But how do I know if life has another reason, maybe I'm supposed to figure out the puzzle, maybe I'm supposed to accomplish something, maybe it's all meaningless, maybe I'm supposed to feel pain, maybe I'm supposed to experience all the positive and negatives as possible, maybe I'm here to learn etc etc etc

All I know for sure is, life is VERY strange when you REALLY think about it. SO very strange.....

[edit on 26-3-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I believe when we die, all is gone! Like any living thing we just end and thats it!
It is just egotistic thinking that we go on in some other form etc. What about all the other living things in this world. Plants, animals, and even a beetle. Does those living things move on?

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
All I know is that we are not rocks...
yet we share something in common with them.

We are made from the same stuff.

I've been accused of having rocks in my head, so there may
indeed be some consciousness in rocks. Slower, more eternal.
I don't know, because it really does not matter.

What makes you believe that your consciousness is gone?
That kind of belief sounds a lot like religion to me.

You really need to get outside your head and take a much larger
perspective of what you think life really is and what consciousness
really is. Great question to ask...is this all I am?

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
basicly what we call our personality or "self" is a collection of memories. Without several of these memories we would be drasticly different. If anything survives death then it wont be "you" in any sense.

new topics

top topics

join