It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists uncover stunning Mayan carvings of cosmic monsters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Archaeologists uncover stunning Mayan carvings of cosmic monsters

www.dailymail.co.uk

Archaeologists have uncovered carved stucco panels depicting cosmic monsters, gods and serpents in Guatemala's northern jungle.

They are the oldest known depictions of a famous Mayan creation myth.

The 26ft long panels were created around 300 BC and show scenes from the core Mayan mythology, the Popol Vuh.

It took investigators three months to uncover the carvings while excavating El Mirador, the biggest ancient Mayan city in the world, the site's head researcher, Richard Hansen said.

The Maya built soaring temples and elaborate palaces in Central America and southern Mexico, dominating the region for some 2,000 years, before mysteriously abandoning their cities around 900 AD.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Sorry if this article has been discussed previously. I have always been fascinated like many here about this great civilization. There is something very mysterious about them and the way they disappeared or left their cities. The pictures of the carving are on the link provided. I would like your interpretations of those carvings.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
No doubt the Mayans were a great civilization. Even though some archeologist has provided some explanations as to their sudden disappearance, I still believe there is something very mysterious about them. Another great civilization together with the Mayans was the Egyptian civilization and one thing that both have in common are the Pyramids. Why this obsession by those two great civilizations to build pyramids?

The other thing is the most famous Mayan calendar behind the 2012 theory. Now why would a civilization create a calendar that will outlast generations and even there own civilization?

I still believe that some archeologist may have the answer; but probably some of them are afraid to put forward their theories just because they might be ridiculed by others.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Above is a link to the carving. What are your interpretations?
For me looks like someone with a jet pack on the back

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Please move thread to Ancient & Lost Civilizations. thx

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
honestly it just looks like humans wearing a costume. You can even see the human face. legs, and arms. It's probably a carving of some ritual or celebration.

[edit on 17-3-2009 by NateNute]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
There is already a thread on this in UFO's and Aliens or Aliens and UFO's or something like that...

Did you do the pre-requisite search on this before posting?

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Mayans being a "great civilization" idea always makes me want to heave.

Many of these cultures of the past had some interesting aspects. However, the idolatry people have for societies that we KNOW -

practiced mass human sacrifice
had sociopaths for leaders, consistently as a matter of normalacy
aztecs would put a woman's eyes out for looking up
women's skeltons are often found with evidence of being consistently abused.

But we are to assume that because they made really big statues they were all FABULOUS.

By this standard, you should all be worshipping the corporations who build really tall towers and get some anonymous artists work put around it.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

They are the oldest known depictions of a famous Mayan creation myth.

We have carvings of the birth of Aphrodite, or Athena, the ascension or Horus and multitudes of various Gods, Goddess' creation stories.
This is the same as any of them.

As for the Mayans I wouldn't be surprised if their sudden disappearence had anything to do with the Spanish arriving on their shores.
en.wikipedia.org...

The Spanish took control of their lands.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

By this standard, you should all be worshipping the corporations who build really tall towers and get some anonymous artists work put around it.

Well, they do seem to have sociopathic leaders who would gladly destroy the lives of their employees to make a little extra money.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Err... we do.

I guess things haven't really changed at all.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Many of these cultures of the past had some interesting aspects. However, the idolatry people have for societies that we KNOW -

But we are to assume that because they made really big statues they were all FABULOUS.

How different are we anyway. What you call mass human sacrifice is now called ethnic cleansing. We still have a lot of abuse in our society. Look at the base of our so called modern society you will see lots of murder, injustice and abuse.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

LOL, I never thought of it like that. I always believed that the term "Great Civilization" when refering to ancient societies meant that it was well organized, public utilities, government departments, et cetera.

Y'know, better than a "clan", more together than a "village", more established than a "settlement", stuff like that.

I never even considered that "Great" meant that they were "wonderful".

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by rattan1

How different are we anyway. What you call mass human sacrifice is now called ethnic cleansing. We still have a lot of abuse in our society. Look at the base of our so called modern society you will see lots of murder, injustice and abuse.

Which we are moving away from, and do not GLORIFY.

"We" are not responsible for every society on the planet's current abominations. I know that people constantly try to make it so, but since they also don't want "us" to intervene in any way to "impose" our "human rights values" .....well you can't have it both ways.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by NateNute
honestly it just looks like humans wearing a costume. You can even see the human face. legs, and arms. It's probably a carving of some ritual or celebration.

[edit on 17-3-2009 by NateNute]

Exactly what I thought. The figure on the right is a priest in a costume. I have no clue what the stuff on the left might be.

new topics

top topics

join