It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Coping with Breaking News" or How to Keep the Sheepies Asleep?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I stumbled upon this article from Psychology Today:

Turning off the TV or resolving not to watch breaking news helped families lessen their anxiety, says Kathleen Campbell, a professor of leadership and management studies. Says Campbell, “The people who coped best were the ones who realized watching TV wouldn’t affect whether or not things happen.”

What I hear when I read this is "If you are of sound mind, don't turn off that TV!" "If you are fragile and weak, then it's best to turn it off."

TPTB would rather have us staring at our televisions, alone in our houses versus coming togeather and sharing either in our local communities or in places like ATS.

As there is power in numbers, or at least use to be, I have heard this is a reason major sports leauges came to be. In days long past, men would retire after a dinner party to a smoke filled room with flowing scotch and conversations of the issues of the day, government, finances ect discussing ideas, debating. If you walk into a bar any day of the week, today a popular subject is always sports as it is at parties and backyard barbaques. This was planned to divert us from discussing issues that truly effect our countries and way of life. It is my personal hope with global fragility that this indeed changing.

What do you, as an ATS member, do to help yourself cope with current day endless 'breaking news?'

Today I decided to take a small break from overworking my fizzling brain and take my daughter out to a friend of ours just outside of the city. The kids were out playing in the warming weather. Inside the adults were chilling out, topics ranged from movies, sports, to adults trying to one up the other with how great their children are doing. Having one ex military and one mason at the table I bring up MK-ULTRA. I got torn apart LOL "Oh that's a bunch of malarky" ect. Here comes the funny part. Their conversation quickly turned back to what was on tv - one of those fighting matches...I decided to go outside and check on my daughter. I didn't know they had let some animals out and the next thing you know...I'm standing amongst a bunch of sheep! I couldn't stop myself from laughing over the irony of it all. Too funny!

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Well...I thought it was funny

Second Line: Dance Party!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

I disagree with that article.

You know I hardly watch the tube and I'm glad I don't!
It's all a bunch of garbage. All they show is gloom and doom and only what sells sex and violence. They don't report feel good stuff anymore because it doesn't sell airtime.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Can't agree more.

The first week of April I took my Harley from Kansas to Georgia to work the Masters golf tournamen. I didn't watch television or jump online for 2 weeks. All I did was work and ride.

My mood improved drastically. I was happier then I had been in months. I get back home and started watching television again and I got back in my same old rut.

I have since limited myself to one hour of news and watching some shows my wife and I enjoy together. Like Lost, Heroes and Hells Kitchen.

I guess you could lump me in the sheeple catagory and if so that is fine. What I have realized is that there isn't much use in me getting upset at what is going on in the world, because in the end it won't stop anything, except my health.

I may get worked up here every once in a while, but in the end. I just don't care.

Man that was a beautiful eye opening ride.

new topics

top topics

join