It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many degrees between the Compass points?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I've seen a lot of different pictures online showing many varying amounts of spread between the compass points, and some mathematical diagrams and such, but I can't find a website that explicitly tells how many degrees are marked off on the circle by the points of the compass. There are so many differing pictures of stone carvings, metal instruments, computer graphics, jewelry and such. They don't agree on one set amount.

I've never seen any reference to this is any book or on any so-called conspiracy website.

I have a theory about the number of degrees on the arc between the points, but I don't want to say it.
It is something I've picked up after many years of studying the occult.
I'm not a Mason and I don't want to give it away if it is supposed to be kept quiet.

So what is the answer? Unless, of course, you can't say....

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
360 is always full circle click the link to see

[edit on 11-3-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
360 is always full circle click the link to see

[edit on 11-3-2009 by DaddyBare]

I think he was talking about the freemason compass and not the compass rose

you may find your answers here
freemasonry.bcy.ca...

[edit on 11-3-2009 by munkey66]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I'm not certain there's a hard and fast rule on the subject. I've seen a few variations, myself. To compound it more, you've got the general compasses most often shown with just a square, and you've got the Past Master's jewel which is a square and compasses with an arc. I believe I've seen varying values for both.

(Though I can't locate the post now, I believe Masonic Light once corrected me when I had assumed that there were 60 degrees by telling me that it really wasn't consistent.)

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Instead of using the Square or Compass as the methos of calculation...

go count the actual number of Rays for the actual number of degrees in each orders individual graphic.

the Rays between cardinal points range from 18 to 36 of the ones i've counted... i rekon that number has to do with the elaborateness
of each Orders distinct levels.
18 rays would total 72 stages or levels
36 rays would total 144 distinct levels, categories, etc

if you note... some of the 'Rays' are hidden... very symbolic,
and can only be deduced because these 'rays' are behind the compass or square... more symbolic representations, probably having to do with
the organization and unknown (anomyous) benefactors of the Masons'

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a2f0c128c192.gif[/atsimg]

6 60's in 360 fyi.

-

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

I have generally seen the compasses depicted at a 60 degree angle, which makes sense if you overlay a six-pointed star or whatever.

If there is deeper meaning or prescribed (no pun intended) angle I'm not aware of it.

As Senior Deacon of my lodge one of my jobs is to arrange the square and compasses at every meeting but I pretty much just try to make them look 'pretty' or whatever.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Thank you everyone, for all the responses. People are thinking various things on this topic, and some pictures show the compass points on the arc of the circle, while other pictures (specifically the 60 degree type) will show the compass points outside the circle and resting on a horizontal line with the square, so I'll have to clarify my question.

munkey66, nice links, thank you. That is the only specific info I've been exposed to about the angle between the compasses, or in this case there are now two angles specifically stated in Freemasonry to be 36 and 29.

Re: the 36 degree compass, the author on that site says there is only visual reasons for the 'arrangement' I suppose because the markings on the arc are sort of sketchy.

Re: the 29 degree compass, this is a better way for me to clarify my original question since on the Past Grand Master's Jewel the markings on the arc are clear enough to see 44 degrees on the arc between the points of the 29 degree compass which is resting very high outside the circle.

Re: the 60 degree compass, it does seem to be very common, and it forces the compass to sit lower in the arrangement than the 29 degree spread for example.

Which brings me to the clarification. I actually meant to discuss the degrees on the arc, not necessarily between the compasses themselves, because the actual number of degrees selected from the circle around the square will depend on how high the compass hinge is above the center of the circle.

So now the thing I am looking for is related to the height of the hinge above the center of the circle, and then the specific number of degrees, X, selected from the arc, which in turn leaves 360-X on the outside of the compasses. Just about any spread between the compasses can be 'arranged' to indicate just about any number of degrees on the arc according to how high it rests above the center. It is interesting that people always fall back on proportion and visual perception, and simply eyeball it when arranging the Square And Compasses.

Re: the 'Pythagorean doctrine of numbers' discussion for 36, it is interesting because I think first it is a blind of sorts that will confuse or mislead, and then second I think it is a bit of inconsequential entertainment. I think it is hinting at something in a very roundabout way that will never give away the information. Seems like an inside joke or something since only when you have a certain perspective can you even begin to imagine that the Pythagorean number trick makes any sense. Or maybe just nonsense.

What is the conspiracy? Hell, I don't know. I just think there is more to it than meets the eye.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by emsed1
reply to post by JoshNorton

I have generally seen the compasses depicted at a 60 degree angle, which makes sense if you overlay a six-pointed star or whatever.

If there is deeper meaning or prescribed (no pun intended) angle I'm not aware of it.

As Senior Deacon of my lodge one of my jobs is to arrange the square and compasses at every meeting but I pretty much just try to make them look 'pretty' or whatever.

Take any line, and from the end points, use a compass to inscribe two full circles, then, join the intersection of both circles with a second straight line at right angles to the first line, and you have the Phi Ratio or the Golden Mean aka the Generative Principal.

For more go here goldennumber.net...

I think 666 can also be explained by Phi

The whole universe is based on this sacred geometry, as is the design of the human being, in all aspects.

There, now you don't need to go in for the false resurrection or indirectly worship Horus and unwittingly employ the sacred geometry to offend God.

[edit on 12-3-2009 by OmegaPoint]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Image of another simple method for reaching Phi with a compass and a square didn't take. Sorry for the extra post.

Try going here goldennumber.net...

Scroll down a bit, to the animated gifs, and look at the middle one, with the pythagorean traingle being interesected with a compass, twice, and the first angle I'll bet coincides with the compass angle in the Masonic logo.

Then just throw in a jumble of temple of soloman motifs, and a smattering of Egyptian mythology, and voila, Freemasonry.

It's funny, when all a person needs to do to become a better person, is to have faith and pray regularly to the God of their understanding. There's no need to try to "ascend" or to become an "enlightened master". All that does is ignite the pride of man in the midst of the spirit and set that man apart from God. What sucks about Freemasonry is that the initiate doesn't even understand what he's gotten himself into, until it's too late.

[edit on 13-3-2009 by OmegaPoint]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Whoa!

Thanks for that mind expanding link to the Grand Lodge of British Columbia and Yukon A.F. & A. M. website.

The 19th Century Scottish link underneath the 44 degree Compasses is the real deal!
Look at this page.... freemasonry.bcy.ca...

Look at the ruler. It shows 1, 2, 3, 6, 5. The leg of the compass is 4. Both of them.

I've been analyzing the geometry of this for several days and I am absolutely certain of the Square and Compasses arrangement now. I believe there is one perfect way to set up the Compasses inside the Circle. At first I thought the hinge of the Compasses would be on the Circle or even outside the Circle. No way. I have convinced myself the Compasses rest well within the Circle.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
That 60 degree arrangement with the points on a horizontal under the square is not right even though it is visually pleasing.
The top of the compass is outside the circle that surrounds the square.
I wonder about the origin of the 60 degree idea.

I think I understand the 36 and the 29 ideas.

I guess the 32 relates to the number of Scottish degrees.

I don't understand the significance of the 64 or the 56 angles. And how about that 90 degree compass? That is so odd. I even saw a 45 degree angle at another website.

Anyway. I'm convinced the real information is encoded in the 44.

[edit on 13-3-2009 by THX-1138]

new topics

top topics

join