It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SMELLIT: See and Smell movies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
SMELLIT concept makes Cheech and Chong worth watching

We’ve perfected the art of excellent sound and HD movies in our Home Movie Theaters. But something is missing. A sense of smell. If you can smell it, you are there. That’s where SMELLIT comes in. Imagine watching a chef make a pizza and being able to smell every detail, like you could also taste it. You could watch some Cheech and Chong movies and get a contact high.

SMELLIT works just like your printer, but ink cartridges are replaced with smell cartridges. As your DVD or Blu-ray player reads the video and sound information, SMELLIT processes the same DVD, but the ”smell CARD” decodes the smell information from 10 to 20 seconds* ahead of the actual scene so the odors have time to hit you. After information is read, the cartridge vaporizes a very small amount of “smell gel”, and the central fan distributes the smell in all directions. It can be loaded with up to 118 cartridges, each with a different “smell gel”.

Pretty cool but there are some downsides. Like watching frat boy movies where there’s a lot of farting and puking. I think I’ll pass on smelling that one. I also wouldn’t want to watch Chris Farley running around and getting all sweaty.

Smellit: TASTE YOUR MOVIES LIKE YOU NEVER HAVE

SMELLIT works just like your printer, but instead of ink cartridges, it works with smell cartridges. As your DVD player reads the video and sound information from your favourite DVD disc, SMELLIT processes the same DVD, but the ”smell CARD” decodes all the smell information from 10 to 20 seconds* ahead of the actual scene so the odours have time to reach the spectators. After decoding the smell information, the cartridge vaporizes a very small amount off concentrated “smell gel”, and the central fan distributes equally the smell in all directions. It can be loaded with 118 cartridges, each one with a different concentrated “smell gel”. All the cartridges can be easily changed and last 3 times more than a regular ink cartridge.

*Depending how far you are from the SMELLIT.

Wow! I wonder how long it'll be before they perfect and begin installing these in theaters? I don't know if I want to smell everything I see in a movie. Imagine watching "The Exorcist" with this thing. I don't think I could ever finish watching the movie without hurling myself.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaxium

I watched one of those tribal documentaries on the travel channel a few years ago, and there was a man kneeling in front of his hut smoking a cigarette. A few minutes later my nose started to burn from the smell of strong cigarette smoke.

I do not smoke nor does anyone in my home, but I kid you not the scent was real. When I put my hand over my face the show switched to commercial. I have a new TV so maybe they were testing their product on me.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
The only thing good that can come from this is for those of us who are bachelor's and never "clean" the place. Find a good cooking show and fill you pad with the smell of warm apple pie!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Can you imagine watching the Terminator, Halloween or anything to do with Gunsmoke and Blood,

I hope they invest some of their research money on air freshners.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Whoah be to those who do not have adequate ventilation! Imagine what the room would smell like if all the odors of a movie were intermingled throughout the entire show.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Yes that's what I'm talking about.!!

I would never get through the end of Full Metal Jacket without a properly installed oxygen tank

But I sure would enjoy watching the Food Network.

hmmm I wonder what Fox News smells like

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
That would be really, really bad. Why? People have allergies and asthma. This may mean that they wouldn't be able to go to the movies anymore. Would movies be produced with and without SMELLIT? It's kind of unfair. What if it made someone sick- if they were allergic to something in the odor but didn't have a list of ingredients or anything. (Like peanut smell or mint, I know people allergic to those smells). It's a tad dangerous.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Hehe imagin watching the Food Network if this technology existed for the home user? Obesity would go up 10 fold

Reminds me of when Emeril was on TV and always boasted how good it smelled in the studio and then would say "call your cable provider today and tell them to get smellovision".

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I would gather that the smells would probably be synthetic based rather than natural smells. Just like most theme parks use scents conveyed through large vents in rides as well as synthetic food smells to attract people to eateries. Disney has researched that possibility ad infinitum. So no worries...sniff away

edit:sp

[edit on 17-2-2009 by djvexd]

new topics

top topics

join