It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cleveland foreclosure depicted in winning photo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Cleveland foreclosure depicted in winning photo

www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com

AMSTERDAM (AP) — A U.S. photographer won the top prize in the World Press Photo competition Friday with an image of a police officer searching a debris-strewn home in Ohio to ensure evicted residents had left after a mortgage foreclosure.

Anthony Suau's winning photo for Time magazine shows the officer, handgun drawn, peering into an open doorway inside the house, which is filled with overturned furniture and...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
An amazing photo, which leaves one with an ominous sense of a future where this economic crisis worsens.

A potential for violence as more and more people are left jobless, homeless and desperate. The law and the people and potential conflicts. Dark days... A picture is worth a thousand words.

What does this one say to you?

www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by WalkswithfishWhat does this one say to you?

it says to me : staged photo

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Perhaps it was staged, though I am not sure. This was taken during the worst of the foreclosure crisis.

The caption reads:

World Press Photo of the year 2008 by American photographer Anthony Suau for Time, showing the U.S. economy in crisis. Following eviction, detective Robert Kole must ensure residents have moved out of their home in Cleveland, Ohio, 26 March 2008.

If it is staged and can be proven to be then this is false reporting... And they had to pay a law officer, possibly others to stage such a photo op. And why would they agree to take part in this kind of staged photo when it does not look good on them?

Just food for thought, it is only a picture... yeah must be fake because it is on ATS now right?

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
someone needs to photoshop Obama's aunt into that picture.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

This quote from the article:

2008 is the year of the end of a dominant economic system.

says to me that this picture won because it portrays what Europeans WANT to happen...

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
not a big deal, its just foreclosure , the true problem is yet to begin

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

What Europeans want to happen?

This was not an European award, it's a World Press Photo award.

The jury chairwoman, MaryAnne Golon, which is quoted on that article, is an American.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
That's not a foreclosure, which is a civil matter between the lender and the debtor. That is a home invasion, regardless of the status of the contracts around said home.

That is also one of the main reasons our system leads to fascism, once they break the economy they need the police force to act as de facto expropriation agents. It's no longer about fighting crime, it's mostly about stealing (under the colour of law) property.

Europe could be heading down the same road, although people here tend to be more conservative with debt and, for now, the economies are holding up slightly better. Still, the photo is indeed ominous and a sign of things to come, if we let them.

I for one am not fond of the idea of paying taxes to what will amount to one huge repo agency.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
It's a brave new world; wellcome to the monkey house!

It's only a matter of time until someone is killed in a house that they used to own, payed property taxes on and raised a family in.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The thing that bothers me about the pic is how the officer is holding the handgun. If fired in that pose, with the piece a mere inch from his nose, I'm betting a deep hammer imprint between his eyes from the recoil.

Of course, he could be holding to the side a bit in that pose, but still, a little less bend to the arm would be much safer.

Not saying the pic is fake, but the officer looks kind of untrained to me.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Masqua, that would defuse a tense situation with a lot of comedy. The idea of the officer knocking himself out with his own handgun is somehow hilarious.

Thx for brightening up a somewhat tense day

new topics

top topics

join