It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stimulus Bill Has Provision To Bypass Any Governor Declining The Funds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Did not see this posted anywhere. Sorry if it was.
This is SO wrong. So the legislation can now take money even when the governor says no! So what is the role of governor now?

I am so pi***d!!!!

SEC. 1607. (a) CERTIFICATION BY GOVERNOR — Not later than 45 days after the date of enactment of this Act, for funds provided to any State or agency thereof, the Governor of the State shall certify that: 1) the State request and use funds provided by this Act , and; 2) funds be used to create jobs and promote economic growth.

(b) ACCEPTANCE BY STATE LEGISLATURE — If funds provided to any State in any division of this Act are not accepted for use by the Governor, then acceptance by the State legislature, by means of the adoption of a concurrent resolution, shall be sufficient to provide funding to such State.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Link please.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Here is a link, though I heard about it on C-span during John Mccains speach.

sayanythingblog.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Maybe this is one of the reasons that states wants sovereignty. I wonder if those states that are board, if it would work in this situation.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Any governor who declines the money is working against the people of his state. It is right to let the legislature step in and take over this process. I can promise you this; any governor who refuses the funds will be serving their last term in office. Last I saw 46 or so out 50 governeors were in favor of this bill. Most republicans in Congress were in favor as well, but decided their political careers were better off if they voted against it(From Arlen Specter). Self serving bastards if you ask me. Politics always comes before doing the right thing with these folks. This is exactly why our country is so divided. i blame folks like you who can't see through this and continue to put these guys in office.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Well you do not know who I voted for.

Anyway, this is taking away the rite of the states IMO.
The states have a process just like the Federal government has a process, and they are over riding ours.

I am not saying any of the processes are great, like voting party line no matter what, or how the electoral college works, but I do not like them telling us we have to do what they want, and changing how everything works.

Why should we HAVE to take that money? There are always strings.
Look at Goldman Sachs who wants to give that money back as soon as possible ,because there are strings.

new topics

top topics

join